Payday 2 - Clown Masks, Stick-Ups, Gunfire, and Unlockables

Go for it, remember how fun Payday was even if you didn’t play it you always wanted to; and you liked the HEAT movie; And Ronin, even though Payday isn’t anything like Ronin.

I’ve recently tried playing the first Payday and it’s odd that the game is deliberately noob unfriendly. New people to the game are already disadvantaged because they don’t know the maps and the game rules, but the game decides to further disadvantage you by giving you one less weapon, no ability once noob lube runs out at level 5 and no option for the doctor bag straight from the off.

I can’t think of a reason why they would disadvantage new players so much, other than “people like unlocking things!”. I feel like a dead weight when I’m playing with people of level 100+, especially as I seem to run out of ammo way more than the rest of them and therefore die a lot more. Once I got the third gun and the extra ammo perk, things got better. But still, why not have that from the start? I thought the game was a complete turd until I could actually start shooting things and helping the team.

Does Payday2 have as much stats-grind to it before you become a useful member of the team?

Yes and no. There’s a big difference between low level and high level play this time, especially in terms of what you can do in each level. One thing I love about the game is that it unlocks stuff just like Lost Planet 2, where it’s pretty much randomized. The skill model is mostly the same as before, just fleshed out and a hundred times more interesting, with some stuff that unlocks bonuses for the whole team.

I think the biggest strength Payday 2 has got going for it, is that you’ll never end up exactly like the guys your playing with. You’ll always have something to bring to the table. With that said, and extra set of guns is always a benefit on its own, so I’m not left with the impression that you need to “grind” in order to participate in any meaningful way. It just gets more complex as you go along. The biggest problem with Payday and its level system was that it was never especially well advertised how it worked. That’s all fleshed out here in a way that gets you up and running with the essentials after a couple of rounds of play, with infinitely more to tinker with down the line as you progress.

I’d say Payday 2 rewards player skill more so than the first one, where perks and neat weapons reigned supreme. I’d rather take someone who pays attention and helps the team than has funky gadgets or the sickest guns. There’s a lot more teamwork needed too; many missions require you to carry 5-8 bags of money/coke/meth, which means there’s a lot of bag throwing and juggling. Anyone that doesn’t contribute to moving the bags or providing cover is slowing the team down. Both starting weapons are solid, and the rate at which you unlock them is much faster than in the first (there is no third weapon slot).

Here’s a (I think) pretty entertaining video where just my brother and I try to stealth rob a jewelry store without alerting the police. We fail the first few times, then figure out the most, uh, effective way to do it. We play another mission after where you have to rob four stores. One of my friends who was super critical of the first game was watching too, and he seemed to agree that Payday 2 looks much better.

So yeah, I bought into the Beta and I’d like to play with some peoples who aren’t mean to me on accounts of me sucking. My Steam ID is ‘Arac’.

All right. Rudy’s video sold me on it. I’m in.

So… how many are in on the beta now? I was trying to hold till next week, but I seemed to have the date wrong and it is August 27th as the estimated release.

Didn’t play the first one but I think I’m going to grab this. Friend me up on Steam: Scottdobros

The date has changed and is now confirmed for 8/13 (a week from today) for Steam. I’m in the beta, dudes can look me up in the qt3 group or from my Steam ID in my profile. My brother and I have been playing every night at ~ 11 PM - we’d be happy to have some qt3 people join us so we can coordinate better.

Still got two slots open in a 4 pack!

Best news I have heard all day! Thanks Rudy.

If you going to grab it anyway, get the 4 pack. Cheaper and 4 times as fun! :)

How did people get into the beta?

Can you guys put me down as a maybe for the four pack? Still debating if I want to do some steam card trade in to help pay towards it.

The $50 special edition comes with beta access for yourself and an extra key to gift away. The devs sometimes give out beta codes, as well, but that’s probably done with the release a week away.

Payday 2 is already profitable. Starbreeze announced that the preorder money has already paid for development.

Congrats to them!

Now they can pay Pete Gold to come back and voice Hoxton for them, right?

Right?

Also, Rudy, sorry I had to bail last night, but it was getting a bit later than I’d counted on (especially after failing the escape sequence) and that fourth guy we were playing with was incomprehensible, which really wasn’t helping things.

How are we doing on four-pack options, and how might I get payment to someone if there was a spot?

I have 2 in and a maybe. Paypal is the preferred payment method.

If you own Payday 1 on Steam then you’ll find that you have access to Payday 2 until launch day :)

Whoa, thanks for the tip! Downloading now.