PC gaming is dead. Someone needs to tell Capcom

You’d think with all that time, the ports wouldn’t be so fucking awful.

There was an interview (this appears to be the one) I remember where a Capcom guy talked about how they now have a multiplatform framework, and some of their development actually starts out on the PC now, even if the primary or first releases will be consoles. The older games were a more traditional develop-for-one-then-hand-off-for-port process.

Hey intruder…

;)

Not sure if you are pro PC or not.

a) in case you are pro PC:
I’m on your side. In fact I defend PC gaming to my last breath

b) in case you are not

1. Crawl behind your leet Blue Ray Player and enjoy Haze while praying to the console gods that MGS4 will not suck.

2. Crawl behind your RROD machine and stare at 3 red rings while dreaming of playing games

3. Crawl behind your casual player console and play some Mario stuff while telling everyone that Wii will get kickass hardcore games any minute.

;)

I’m totally Pro PC. In fact, the only console I have is a Dreamcast. ;)

Also, I was totally fucking with you. ;)

Interesting news, and I admire Capcom’s gumption. I’m a firm believer that virtually any sort of game can work on virtually any platform, provided it’s done properly and with sufficiently powerful marketing. Fighting games could be a natural fit for the PC, now that gamepads are ubiquitous. They have lots of complexity (something PC gamers appreciate) and vast modding potential.

I don’t really agree that gamepads are ubiquitous, but… they are cheap enough to put one in the box. I’d happily pay an extra $5 for an official USB Capcom or Street Fighter-themed gamepad.

Most MAME cabinets just run PC hardware.

That means the PC/MAME cabinet we have that we play SFIII on should be able to run SFIV as well. And we will gladly pay the $50 or whatever to legitimately do so.

Fighting games on the PC don’t exactly have a grand history. I think the problem is the nature of the genre. It really is best when you’re 5’ away from the person you’re trying to beat. Most PC’s are placed and preped for solitary use and gaming.

I miss playing One must fall.

As an exec at Capcom, the PC is a very important part of our long term global strategic goals. Extra empahsis on “global”.

And anyone who thinks the PC is dead, doesn’t have even half of the “real” data.

In which global market does the PC have a bigger installed base or potential purchase base than any of the consoles? (I’m talking those with computers with high enough specs to run your game plus have a controller to play it with)

Most parts of Europe. The 2nd biggest videogame market in the world currently after Asia.

Hmm… Really? Asia is the #1 video game market, and Europe is #2?

That’s news to me.

What metric and source are you using for that statement?

On the one hand, I don’t see the point in porting SF4 to the PC. Unless they plan to have some serious pain DRM, it’s just going to detract from their sales on the 360 and PS3, especially in Asia.

But on the other hand, if they’re willing to put proper DRM on it, I’d love to see it do well. PC gamers love fighting games no less than any other gamer.

On the one hand, I don’t see the point in porting SF4 to the PC. Unless they plan to have some serious pain DRM, it’s just going to detract from their sales on the 360 and PS3, especially in Asia.

You seem to be under the impression that there’s no piracy on consoles.

-Julian