Pc on the horizon

Here’s the PC list:
http://pc.gamespy.com/games/release

My uneducated opinion.

1. Freedom force II- I’m still bitter about buying FF right after service pack two came out. I gave it away in frustration and probably won’t pick this one up. I still haven’t finished Baldur’s Gate, Planescape torment, Icewind Dale 1 and 2 or BG II so it’s not like my closet is crying for another top down RPG anyway. That’s right I’m hipper than the hype.

2. Project Snowblind. I was excited about this one from the previews I’ve read. Now I see it’s published by Eidos. I was thinking this would be this years painkiller but I’m afraid it will actualy be this years Deus Ex II. Waiting for the reviews on this one.

3. Driv3r. WTF hasn’t Atari lost enough money on this one?

4. Bard’s tale II. Yeah I read your x-box reviews. What kind of sucker do you think I am?

5. Tortuga: pirates revenge. What is this Ascaron’s 7th pirate game in two years? I don’t see what they can add that would make this a worthwhile purchase.

6. Silent hunter III. I played the original Silent Hunter on commodore 64. I loved it. All the delays on this are scaring me though. The Fargo preview was kind of funny but I’m afraid I may not pick this one up. A good game would be a simulator of all different kinds of ships in pacific and atlantic warfare. Just playing a sub sounds boring after a short while. If it’s realistic then you will shoot torpedoes, dive, step away from the computer for a day or two then resurface and repeat. Simulating a sub is probably only slightly more interesting than serving on a real sub.

It seems to me that PC games are in a terrible rut where publishers are only releasing A list titles in the third quarter and are releasing B list and console ports in spring. Looks like I’m developing a pattern because of this where I will play PC games November through March then play the consoles all summer. Is any PC publisher going to realise that I get a big tax return and I’d be happy to blow it on games?

1. Freedom force II- I’m still bitter about buying FF right after service pack two came out. I gave it away in frustration and probably won’t pick this one up.

You should stop using Windows instead, really. It’d be a more apt statement. BTW, they’ve just released a patch for FF which fixes this.

1. Project Snowblind. I was excited about this one from the previews I’ve read. Now I see it’s published by Eidos. I was thinking this would be this years painkiller but I’m afraid it will actualy be this years Deus Ex II. Waiting for the reviews on this one.

It was originally a shooter set in the Deus Ex universe. Review are coming in and it ain’t much cop.

It seems to me that PC games are in a terrible rut where publishers are only releasing A list titles in the third quarter and are releasing B list and console ports in spring.

Well, I have to kinda disagree with this on two levels. First, there’s no need to confine yourself to A list titles; you’ll be missing gems. Second, it’s simply not the case:

Darwinia
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
GTR FIA Racing
The Movies
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

All stand out as well worth a look. Of the, one is probably what you’d class a B list title. That’s before I even look to see what’s interesting but not heavily publicised.

??

April doesn’t look bad at all. You’ve got Stronghold 2 and Dungeon Lords, each of which have been eagerly awaited by Stronghold and David Bradley fans respectively. Then you’ve got Imperial Glory, which looks really good and may be a Total War killer. For Lovecraft fans, there’s Call of Cthulhu, although I’ll believe it when I see it. (Still, if it does make it out in April, it will be the first adventure game I’ll have bought in a long time.) 25 To Life is a console/pc simultaneous release, I believe, and it looks to be good for those who are into the GTA/gangsta thing.

That leaves Area 51, a console port of a game I know nothing about (may be good, may be terrible, I dunno), the Blitzkrieg sequel Mission Barbarossa, a pc adventure called Still Life, and IHRA Drag Racing, which may or may not be a port, I dunno, but will likely be a good game.

So we’ve got a couple of ports, one of which may be a stinker, a couple of other marginal or special-interest games, and five top tier ones. I don’t know what you’re complaining about, really :)

(Oh, and don’t forget Yourself!Fitness, due March 31. Can’t miss that one :) )

Dungeon Lords is both intruiging to me because of the designer, but at the same time scares me because it claims to be multiplayer and looks like a 3rd person hack and slash game. I’m thinking it has the possibility to be another Rune in the worst case scenario… =P

I know he’s putting a lot of work into the combat. From what little I’ve read, it sounds like a Die-By-The-Sword-type system or something similar. Which will be a good thing if it comes out alright.

But I’m a sucker for anything Bradley does anyway, so I’ll buy it even if everyone else says it stinks.

Don’t punish yourself, get FF2.

Snowblind I was mildly interested in, but I saw a commercial for it last night and the advertising sucked so hard I refuse to ever even try the game or step into a building that contains it. Really hit some mystery button and annoyed the shit out of me.

Where the hell are announcements on new source engine licensees? Vampire was it? I like the engine :/, want more please…

Shameless plug for Guild Wars which ships in April! And any time period in which Freedom Force 2 ships is almost a golden age of pc gaming goodness in my book!

Freedom Force kicked ass.

1. Silent hunter III. I played the original Silent Hunter on commodore 64. I loved it. All the delays on this are scaring me though.

You must mean Silent Service, because the original Silent Hunter came out in 1996 and was PC only.

As for the delays, I think you’re exaggerating a bit… One long delay when they decided to add a dynamic campaign - this was a good thing. They gave an estimated date of Jan 2005 (which was given many months before the end of development and wasn’t a firm date). In Jan it wasn’t quite ready and they set a date for late Feb, which then got pushed back by a couple of weeks to finish polishing the game. So three delays, two of them very minor.

If it’s realistic then you will shoot torpedoes, dive, step away from the computer for a day or two then resurface and repeat.

But since it’s not real life we use time compression and get to have the fun of taking out British convoys while evading tense depth charge attacks or shooting down enemy fighter planes without the long periods of waiting. Of course if it’s realistic you wouldn’t actually be able to stay submerged for that “day or two” anyway (WW2 U-boats didn’t have that much battery power).

That list is also missing SWAT 4 :(

Was this some half assed attempt at bashing PC games? There are far better games coming out, you just gotta look.