Peloton exercise bikes

I think you’re going to be very happy. Peloton reminds me a lot of Apple. They seem to sweat the small things, and it somehow comes together in a really well considered experience. Yes, they’re very expensive, and yes, you can replicate something similar, perhaps even superior, if you go through some effort. But they’ve got that certain quality that I have a hard time defining. I just know that I appreciate it. I kinda wish I’d gotten the Peleton bike, but I’ll make do with my Android phone equivalent. Which ironically will let me try out Apple Fitness+.

I think this is a pretty good comparison. They’re both more expensive than they have any right to be and lock you into their system!

@WhollySchmidt - Did your estimated delivery change at all? Ours is supposed to arrive on 3/25.

Nope, it arrived today as promised from the start!

My wife and I have each done one beginner cycling class, and having failed to scroll far enough I didn’t realize you could see the playlist for the class. I chose poorly! But overall it’s great so far.

It’s also going to take me a while to stop agonizing about whether my shoes are adjusted properly or the handlebars are in the right place, etc., but nothing felt wrong or painful tonight so I’ll just keep an eye on that.

I enjoyed Day 2. My soreness yesterday was short-lived and today I was, honest to God, looking forward to using the damn thing.

I did a 20 minute ride with Tunde Oyeneyin (she was great) but it was easier than yesterday so I followed it with a 10 minute climb with Jess King. That was pretty intense. I attempted ‘out of the saddle’ but immediately failed and gave up on that for the moment.

Things I Didn’t Expect:

-Time flies! I remember using my old elliptical machine and feeling like time was dragging. With all the various ways the ride is interactive, time seems to go by quickly.

-Calories get burned! I feel like every other exercise I’ve tried that tracks Calories Burned has just been discouraging. But if this thing is counting accurately, I’m burning a lot of calories and dammit, that’s rewarding!

-It’s addictive! WTF? That can’t possibly last.

-And kinda gamey! I like the interactive aspect of keeping your cadence in the proper range and playing with the knob to change resistance.

-(and frequently erotic) It was immediately apparent that this is the (not-so?) secret to their success.

Exercise can totally be addictive. In fact, you hit a mark around a few weeks in where NOT getting your exercise fix causes you to be stressed out a bit and cranky. Truly one of the defining things of actual addiction.

In this case it’s a good thing. Keep it going, man!

Also be aware of the muscle soreness that will hit you the first couple of weeks will fade. It’s fine, your body adjusts to new movements, etc. You’ll find a lot more gains in your stamina and tolerance to tougher programs after about a month.

What are everyone’s Peloton usernames? I’m VesperMike. I need some friends to track with.

Are the Peloton rides live, or recorded? I don’t have the Peloton bike, but the app works with my poor man’s Bluetooth bike…

You can do either live or recorded.

This is one of the big appeals to me. On a Peloton bike the instructor can see who is doing well, who just hit a milestone, etc and call our recognition during live shows.

I’m WhollySchmidt.

I know that the Peleton digital app folks don’t have the leaderboard functionality, because we don’t have the standardized Peleton branded bikes that measure power output. So I wonder if we can still get a call out for a milestone during a live ride, or are we so buried in the instructor’s screen UI that they will never mention us?

I did friend you Vesper! I’m papacheepa. I’d also like to have a few more Qt3 friends to help motivate me. I’m also happy to see which classes you folks are taking so I can get some recommendations. Please don’t judge me by the fact that I’ve only taken classes with female instructors. It’s like the Air Force realizing that the male pilots responded faster to women’s voices in their flight systems. I’m just programmed that way!

And I now have an answer to that question I asked. During today’s ride, the instructor specifically mentioned milestones that were being hit by those on the digital app, so yes, that’s additional reason to do live rides. Though she also said that she had over 500 riders with milestones hit and that she couldn’t acknowledge them all…

@Ephraim

You can get devices to add to a spin bike that measure power output. So if you have a non peloton bike are you saying that the peloton app won’t recognize them?

Correct. Peleton app is pretty limited in terms of what it can pick up, metric-wise, via Bluetooth from third party bikes or gear. It’s just heart rate and cadence right now. And it calculates its own calories, since it’s often wildly different from that displayed on my bike. My bike can provide resistance, and a cal/min energy reading but the Peleton app doesn’t recognize them.

It’s a selling point for the first party Peleton bikes.

Got an email from Peloton today that they can move up my delivery. Now arriving 3/1 instead of 3/25!

It’s interesting. That doesn’t appeal to me at all, but it clearly does to many. Then again, I don’t care about achievements in games either…

But I think that’s a big part of finding the right connected fitness product. If you want live classes and that kind of recognition, Peloton seems like a great choice.

Anyway, it’s awesome that you guys are getting into this.

Hopefully that gets passed to XPO, properly

Just got one as well - March 4 instead of March 31 now.

I’m SOOO out of shape and just getting up to speed on my bike that knowing the instructors can see your progress makes me checking out Pelaton something that’s gonna happen in a couple of months, I think!