Penny Arcade Arc of Suck - a strip you hate, and why

Can they please do a story arc where Tycho gets that tumor on the side of his head removed

Jesus. Does anyone actually still read PA anymore out of anything beyond inertia or spite?

I’ll sometimes go to their forums if there’s a game or tv show I’m interested in, and no one here is talking about it. They seem to have a much bigger population so stuff that doesn’t get much discussion here is more likely to hit critical mass there.

I don’t read the comic regularly though. I seem to have completely fallen off reading all comics except OOTS. Not sure why, I used to have a folder bookmarked with comics I’d read regularly.

Pure inertia.

Same, pretty much. I got into the habit back when Old Man Murray was still a going concern and I’m not about to stop now!

Inertia is a factor but I also still enjoy it. I read PvP Online from the start for probably at least a decade until I didn’t. I kept going with PA.

I still read PVP but I don’t really know why. I haven’t thought of it as “funny” in a really long time, and the updates have become very sporadic over the years. Table Titans, one I very much enjoy, is also super sporadic, to the point where entire months have gone by with total silence. I should delete both from my checklist but I don’t really have a lot of web comics anymore.

Here is a taste of what the “humor” has become (and by that, I really mean "what it’s been like for years). It feels like ever since he befriended (and did a Crossover with) Jim Davis his humor style has changed and adapted to be very Garfield-like. This is the latest one, from a few days ago.

A shorter version of that joke could work as the caption to a gif or meme. Using three panels for it feels indulgent.

He really should get that looked at.

Fruit Fucker in panel 2 makes it.

Is the head tumor a running joke I missed? So glad this thread exists.

Why didn’t these guys ever hire writers to help the strip be funnier? They’re loaded, right?

I find this funny because I recall a time when Kurtz was participating in some sort of contest where participants had to do one comic a day for X amount of time, and he was boasting he’d been doing that for years already so that was going to be easy.

Honestly, looking back at it now, I don’t understand why pvponline was ever popular. Even the early stuff isn’t good.

Good fucking god.

So there are two “jokes” here. The first is “heehoo game name dumb,” which, okay. Pretty weak but fine enough as a secondary piece I suppose.

The second is this idea that PR reps are at all bothered by being asked by fucking Penny-Arcade for codes for their games. These dudes have inboxes full of codes that they’ll never touch because they don’t have time. They’re fucking massive, they have a huge audience and massive built-in social juice. PR dudes get snug just thinking about having a PA comic written about their products.

Rabble, rabble.

Also, jesus fuck the art. What the hell. Just…gyah.

Did the tumor distract you from FF in panel 1? :)

I like how Tycho’s goggles cover up his head tumor.

Oh, I forgot the ‘why’ part.

What the fuck?

The tumor seems to be growing

And the attempt at humor seems to be shrinking.

I still enjoy PA’s writing sometimes. My problem is that they increasingly reference a mainstream gaming landscape (Fortnite and Destiny and all that) that just has no intersection with what I actually play. That’s not their fault/problem, of course.