Pentiment - Obsidian's 16th Century Bavarian Narrative Adventure

The text is from this book (boy that English cover is dreadful!), rearranged from the Old Frecnh to something more understandable.

I see you are replying, but I decided to be less lazy and transcribed it to Google Translate, and it turns out that it is this book:

That’s it for that chapter!

Edit: a ha! Thank you for the reply.

I totally didn’t use google to find the book. It was all thanks to my encilcol…ped… clu… ture…
Errm…

I should probably look into this game, as I love when authors mix fictions and real works.

Having now moved into the third chapter, I still love the narrative of Pentiment so much. While having so much autonomy in my choices so far, it also makes a case for how helpless many people really are in the face of those with more money or power and how we are swept up in the big moments of the day. It’s a testament to how well the characters are brought to life that I feel more attached to these than those in many story-based games that go on for hundreds of hours.

Even at this point in the game, I know I’ll want to do this all again while making very different choices, just to see how it all plays out.

Yeah I finished the game yesterday and pretty much jumped back in. I want to see how much I can shake up the narrative with different choices, if at all.

Finished this today and overall really enjoyed it. I do think, though, that Act 3 would have been better served as a much shorter “epilogue” experience, as it really dragged on.

First murder: Matilda, poor nun probably didn’t do it, was very close to picking the old widow just because she wouldn’t have minded dying so much.

Second murder: Guy, which also felt like a cop out. I spent so much in-game time chasing his misdeeds with the abbey’s finances I got alot of convincing evidence about it. Yet, that doesn’t do anything to prove he killed Otto.

You might want to blur out the opening two words before your spoiler text. I didn’t know there was a second one.

Sorry mate. I read it in a review before playing the game, so I guess subconsciously extrapolated everyone to have had the same experience.

I am pretty positive that it doesn’t matter who you accuse, there will always be decent reasons to think they did it and good reasons to think they didn’t.

As for your first spoiler: I didn’t know there was going to be a second or third act, either! I was very surprised, actually. I thought the whole thing was going to be the one murder, although I was getting suspicious that there was no way the supposed 15 hour runtime was going to all happen during that case towards the end of it. I thought Act 2 was quite rushed, and Act 3 was mostly kind of boring by comparison (although I still enjoyed it). The first act is somewhat leisurely and you really get to know the people of Tassing and their kids, and in Act 2 it’s very cool to see where everyone is after 7 years, but by Act 3 there are a lot of people around who you don’t really know, and a lot of people you did know are gone, so it’s quite disconnected. And it’s quite railroaded, too, compared to the others, especially Act 1 where it really doesn’t feel like you have enough time (and even though 2 was rushed into a single day you still get enough time to pretty much do everything except for like maybe one thing). So, like many (most?) games it starts strong and sort of peters out, but it’s still pretty damned strong by the end. I wasn’t a huge fan of the protagonist switch, since we spend the first two Acts with one person, an outsider, and then sort of jarringly switch to someone who has been there the whole time. I really expected the third Act character to be Andreas right until the very, very end of 2, and then I expected it to be Caspar, returning to Tassing to pay his respects much like Andreas did in 2. Oh, well.

Today I joined the 8.8% of players who actually finished Pentiment.

Meh.

At least the developers didn’t call it an “Open World RPG.”

I propose a new genre description for games like this and Disco Elysium: Western Visual Novel (WVN).

It’s a visual novel with delusions of grandeur and the faintest dusting of game mechanics from other genres that demand more of the player. (More engagement, more input, more investment. I’m not gatekeeping and saying games need to be hard. I just like to be involved.)

I will say that games with Too Many Words are becoming my most-hated modern trend. Who would’ve thought? I like words. Old-timey interactive fiction games that are ONLY words are some of my favorite games ever. But the best ones know to use as few as possible.

It made it very clear it’s an adventure game based on medieval manuscripts. Not sure what you expected.

I am going very slowly, but I still love it for what it is.

Considering it’s neither an open world nor an RPG, that would be a very strange thing for them to call it. But I appreciate the assist - since you seem to hold this game and Disco Elysium in similar regard I clearly need to give that game a try!

That’s my point! :) Pentiment’s devs did a better job at describing it than they might have. (I don’t expect anyone to use a made-up genre name that I just created today.) For that, I give them props.

Also, on my computer, it looks like 14.2% of players finished it, not 8.8! Either a large percentage of people just finished it this morning, or my Steam Deck didn’t update the global cheevo percentages this morning. Grats, 14.2%!

Seems like we could add Citizen Sleeper (and maybe Wildermyth?) to the Wordy Western RPG-Lite genre.

Yeah you do. RPG with a capital R. It also happens to be about a murder.

Strange of them advertising it as open world though. The game takes place in what amounts to no more than one city block, and some sections of the map start off inaccessible.

I really like how the game makes me look at every meal and pick the order of dishes to eat. I normally hate non-consequential choices but this really immerses me in the medieval cuisine – I’ve read the wikipedia entry for every dish I couldn’t recognize.

Anyone else look up a recipe for medieval pottage after playing?

It’s kind of funny, I knew that The Witcher drew on existing myths for a lot of its lore, but I was still a bit surprised to see references to the Wild Hunt in this game.

I did yes, in one meal I didn’t realize there was another component and then I had to look it up. I guess savory oatmeal. It doesn’t sound horrible.

Finished Pentiment this eve. I’ll put this little bit in spoilers so I can talk about the end.

I feel very much let down by the whole ending. It came down to what I dislike about so many ‘crime’ stories: the ‘villain’ gives it all away in the end without any effort on the part of the protagonist to figure it out.

Here I thought I was going to solve this mystery spanning decades. Instead, I wandered around interviewing people until I did a bit of exploring and oh, look, the antagonist showed up to tell me everything so I didn’t have to do all the work. Whew!

Yeah, so I went into the finale feeling upbeat and loving the story, the characters, and the overall artistic design of the game, but the narrative collapse left me disappointed in the end. Oh, I’ll still play it again and make different choices to see how it all goes since it’s a very relaxing and different style of game for me. But they really wasted an opportunity. I’d love to hear their take on why they chose the way they went with it.

And, yes, why didn’t I get to see how everyone responded to my mural? That was such a big moment and I expected to have responses from all the characters on my choices. Arg.