Peter Jackson Gets Back with the Beatles

He just looks high as a kite to me. And it appears Ringo wouldn’t say shit if he had a mouthful.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Ringo, but I’d say he didn’t say anything because his mouth was full of gravy from the train. He knew what he had and where he fell on the totem pole.

I have an older sister who was born in 58 and like most girls she started listening to music sooner than most boys tend to. So by the late 60s and early 70s, whenever mom wasn’t home there was a lot of Beatles and classic rock being played in the house. So loud you could hear it down the street.

I’m a pretty big fan, and I’ve watched the first episode. It’s got a lot of dull moments, but as Houngain has said, watching the level of talent onscreen working and hearing some of the early notes and progressions of classic songs you can sing in your sleep is entertaining as hell to me.

I already knew Paul was the pusher, I saw an interview with Ringo years ago where he said without Paul the band’s output would’ve been far less, probably half, particularly once they were successful (aka, rich).

Yeah, everything I’ve read indicates he was the hardest worker in the band, spending extra time in the studio after the others left to try out different bass lines for the songs.

Yes, he knew his place. Paul and John were the talents that drove the band. Ringo was the guy banging the drums. There are a lot of guys who can bang the drums. There aren’t many who can write the songs that Lennon and McCartney wrote.

Also I think we can all agree: Michael Lindsay-Hogg is a massive doofus.

A massive doofus who did a fantastic job getting top notch footage!

Fun fact shared by Jackson - apparently the Beatles - who were paying Michael to film them - would actively try to hide doing anything in front of the camera people. So Michael taped over all the lights so they wouldn’t know the camera was on, then had his crews activate the cameras and walk away for a coffee break so they would think they weren’t being filmed and actually do something on film. This is why he had microphones in flower pots in the cafe, LOL.

Yep, but I’ve just watched Let It Be, the movie that MLH released from this footage. And it is just an absolute, unpleasant slog. Dude clearly got the idea while filming: “I bet these guys are going to break up soon” and decided that was the movie he wanted to release, and not the movie the Beatles thought they were filming.

I was so sick of him pushing for the band to play that amphitheatre in Libya despite it gaining zero traction.

One of my favorite little moments was when a charismaless Peter Sellers drops by mumbles a few things and shuffles off without a laugh outside of heading the wrong way.

So far I am only experiencing this from the series of 1-2 minute clips on youtube. Seen that way, it is totally awesome.

It’s totally awesome as 3 episodes and a total run time of nearly 8 hours too.

How much of the footage has been released in some form before? I could swear I’d seen the bit where Lennon berates Harrison’s I, Me, Mine pitch with “We’re a rock and roll band” and “Do you even know what we do here?”

There was the 1970 Let It Be movie, which had 90-ish minutes of footage.

(And pretty much every note, conversation, and fart has been extensively bootlegged since the moment the tapes stopped rolling. Though SFAIK the bootlegs were just the audio portion.)

Finishing up part 2 tonight, I realized today was the 41st anniversary of Lennon’s death.

The Beatles are releasing a new song next month

I’m surprised there isn’t more talk about this here.

Thank you for the video link.

I generally do not like posthumous releasing of unfinished songs/albums, as it’s not the artist in control of their music. The atrocities of any number of post-death songs where it’s clear someone found a half-finished demo tape of a crappy song that the artist, had they been alive, would never have let seen the light of day, are many in number.

However, this one seems a bit different. 1. The song was on a tape labelled “For Paul”, so I give some credit that John wanted this to live on in some fashion, and not that this was some random tape of John noodling. 2. It seems like the AI/ML involved here was just getting John’s vocals separated from the piano and tape static - I was initially worried that they had a couple lines of John and extrapolated his vocals using AI into an entire song. 3. If Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr are taking a thoughtful approach to this, they have more than earned the right to try this in my book.

It’s nice to hear. Maybe it should be called a John Lennon song rather than a Beatles song (there’s nothing to suggest that John wrote it intending to record with The Beatles) but eh, that’s nitpicking.