Phil Collins is an underappreciated artist

Seriously though - he’s a brilliant drummer and did great work with Genesis. His solo stuff is spottier but there are some great things in there, too. It’s unfortunate that the solo stuff is all the public seems to remember about him, though.

I wore out Abacab way back when. Great musician. Agreed.

“I don’t want to sound like a queer, or nothin’, but Geddy Lee, best bass player ever. Come on!”

And Chester Thompson’s playing was solid but had nowhere near Phil’s musicality, finesse, fluidity. It was so boring in comparison.

I’ve heard of Phil Collins, but what is Genesis?

If this is serious and not a joke ( its hard to tell on the internet ). Genesis was a prog rock band that, in the early years, was insanely inventive and very different from most bands of the era. They were fronted by Peter Gabriel and Collins was the drummer. When Gabriel left to pursue his solo career, Collins eventually took over lead vocals. They put out several albums and each one slowly changed the bands direction towards more mains stream music. The transition was great for the band though as they because a monsterous stadium rock band. If you have never heard early Genesis check it out. If you want a good live album, Seconds Out will give you a good taste of both eras of Genesis.

Yeah, this was really the downfall of Genesis in the 80s. He couldn’t be behind the kit and out front. And the commercial popularity started to guide the music, not collaboration, bringing ideas into rehearsals and fine tuning them. Now his health and age keep him from getting behind a kit. Its such a tough instrument, and sad to see geniuses who just physically can’t do it anymore. Especially given his style which could be so taxing. Sigh.

OK, gonna cheer myself up again with some more Phil the Session Man.

Yeah, like Neil Peart :(

I remember an interview with, I think, Terry Bozzio. He was talking about how hard it is to play drums and sing at the same time. Not easy.

What I can find is the Baby Snakes movie where he says that playing drums is like pounding nails with his bare hands. How much they hurt.

Awesome drummer. I just ignore the pop-crap Genesis stuff anyway.

But does he have a Ph.D. like Bill Bruford?

Yes45

Honorary, so not “like” Bruford :)

True and it was for Music, not some spurious “Creativity Studies” Phrenology Sociology thingee…

For 40 years I’ve pulled this out whenever anyone talked shit about Phil Collins: