Phone cases you like! (that are interesting)

I’m surprised there’s never been a dedicated thread for this. @fire and I have trying new flipping/folding phones recently, and that means lots of phone case testing (I actually just got back from the UPS Store, dropping off 5 more also-rans for Amazon returns).

First up, ultra-thin, minimalist protection (thin is nice, but protection is important too).

dbrand skins are fun. They’re very well made (quality 3M film and adhesives), they protect surfaces, they’re much easier to grip than glass phone backs, and they can look fabulous:

Coverage can vary; you can find some skins that cover edges, but in my case (haha) I didn’t even use the supplied piece that could have covered the metal lens section – I just preferred the look this way. You will find very little drop protection, but it’ll save you from nicks and scratches.

Going up a level, I stumbled upon aramid fiber cases (think kevlar fibers but more flexible, woven into a stiff but resilient shape). While not cheap, these offer full protection while being amazingly thin. I’m usually a case-less kind of guy (imo protection is over-rated), but I think I have now found my forever case. This one is from kaisenkec – a better-known but similar brand is Pitaka.

Look at the case thickness compared to the also very slim bit of the phone’s back showing beneath it:

The feel is fabulous – soft-touch and much better friction than the bare phone.

More pics

Love this case!

Switching gears, we went through a bunch of inexpensive (and crappy) cases for @fire’s Razr Plus flip phone before finally finding a good one on Amazon: NULETO (if that really is their name).

Sure, it has a kickstand, which could be handy, but the main point is the material: it’s soft-touch all around (without being a big squishy TPU blob). No slippery hard plastics. It also has a built-in screen protector for the external display, which helps with grip too.

What about the rest of you? Any favorites to share?

Oh, neat idea for a thread. Here’s my current one, custom made from a guy on Etsy, of which I absolutely adore.

I’ve gone with one of these for my last couple phones:

Spigen Tough Armor Designed for Galaxy S23 Ultra Case (2023) - Black Amazon.com

Nothing fancy, but solid protection all around, no excessive bulk, and a handy kickstand for watching videos.

I’ve been an Otterbox fan for years - I remember when I first got one I literally bounced the case off the floor to demonstrate how tough it was to a friend. That was the Galaxy S - phones got heavier and bigger now so I probably wouldn’t do that again.

While maybe not “interesting”, I don’t even bother looking at anything else when it comes to cases anymore. I just browse what’s available from Spigen for whatever phone I’m using, pick from either ‘Rugged’ or ‘Tough’ models when available, and go. They’ve never not been the right case for me.

My coworker has an iPhone, and she has a very interesting case for it. It has a large thing on the back that’s kind of ugly, but it allows her to hold on to it tightly, so she can hold the phone low to the ground and take photos from the perspective of the pavement and the sidewalk, and the flowers on the side of the road. She’s a good photographer, so I really respect that she got this ugly case that allows her to take better pictures.

EDIT: Ah, it’s called a PopSocket case, since the little handle on the back pops out.

Same here. I’ve gotten the Spigen Rugged Armor cases for my last two Galaxy phones, and they have been ideal for me. Good protection without too much bulk.

I’ve been buying apple’s leather cases for years but for the past couple of years their quality greatly degraded, looking and feeling like crap in less than a year. There’s actually a rumor they won’t release one for the newest iPhone. My next case will probably be a leather aftermarket from andar or bull strap.

I love their cases. They also make super thin aramid cases, but the AirSkin Pro (very slow Philippines store link) is only being sold overseas. Latercase is another good option for Aramid cases, and they cover a good selection of recent devices.

I have the Apple leather case and it’s decent enough. The case I really want is this one:

However, it’s sold out and I’m not sure spending $90 on a phone case is a financially sound idea anyway. :)

The normal Pitaka cases are in the $60-$70 range. Still a bit more than I’d like to spend, though I noticed they’re currently on sale.

What I like about these cases is the bottom lip cutout, which is great for the swiping up gesture. I had one for my XS and regret not buying one for the 14 Pro instead of the leather case.

I love their cases. Those limited edition designs are sweet (but VERY limited in numbers – the space one was 999). This was a previous one (also sadly sold-out) :

I might treat myself to one of their limited edition cases for my next iPhone upgrade. Assuming I’m quick enough to order one!

Whatever you do, don’t click this link.

Haha, yeah I just assumed a bunch of them will show up on Ebay. So it’s $90 new and they’re selling it for $100. That seems like a lot of effort to make $10.

I wish it didn’t have any text on the side or bottom. I don’t want to be a walking advertisement. Otherwise, neat case.

The bullstrap leather cases are actually slightly cheaper and offer substantially nicer materials, which comprise most of the cost. They also have a lifetime warranty-- if you drop your phone and cut a notch in the leather, they’ll replace it. And leather looks gorgeous when it gets old and patinas from your skin oils.

I plan on going bullstrap in light leather on the iPhone 15, with a matte glass screen protector, the latter of which is a nigh life-changing innovation.

We have one of those on order for @fire’s Razr+. Non-slip FTW.

Wow, you aren’t kidding:

I hadn’t looked at Bullstrap cases before. Very nice, wish they made them for other brands.

I keep reading bullstrap as ballstrap, with the leather and all. Not a case option I had considered!

I will say the Bellroy leather cases for Pixel are utter crap. Never again.

For anyone wondering how protective the waffa-thin aramid cases could be, here’s what resulted from a 3-4 foot drop onto a concrete driveway (missed my pocket), landing hard on the corner.

The exposed parts picked up some relatively minor scratches that will erase neatly with an appropriate color Sharpie, and underneath the case it’s fine.

Here’s a neat trick with some ultra thin metal rings for MagSafe mount compatibility:

– the magnetic field through the case is still strong enough to hold the Fold 5 on my iPhone dash mount while the phone is open (tablet mode). These are the thinnest self-adhesive rings I’ve found so far: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075YB8C7F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

The Pitaka iPhone 15 cases are available to order.