Phone number security - Tmobile users(in particular) alert

So I’m not normally one to post stuff like this, but i saw a random news article on my phone yesterday and it kinda scared the crap out of me…

http://www.king5.com/article/news/thieves-are-stealing-your-cell-phone-number-to-take-your-money/281-501725049

TLDR; Scammers can port your phone number to a different carrier without your consent and use that as a means to bypass any security that sends alerts/login information to your cellphone.

Maybe they could have done this a long time ago, but coupled with just about every company getting hacked and losing your security info, it creates some real problems. For instance, to put in the security that tmobile recommends to protect against this, all i needed to do was provide my last 4 digits of my social. If I was a scammer, at that point, i pretty much would have owned this phone number and any accounts associated with it…fucking chills me thinking about that.

Anyways, thought i’d broadcast that here for everyone to look at and while this particular vulnerability seems to be targeted at Tmobile users, i don’t see why anyone else woulnd’t also be potentially impacted by this. I also wanted to open the thread up for anyone who has tips/recommendations on other ways to protect yourself from this shit.