Pike, Spock and Number One will return to explore 'Strange New Worlds'

Another good episode! I know I sound like a broken record with regard to how New Trek sometimes feels like the showrunners forget that the crew on a Starfleet vessel should really be doing their jobs and not constantly talking about their feelings/trauma. I love how so far in SNW, the crew seem really competent.

I am wondering, through, about how in the first episode we get a trauma dump about La’an and then in this one we got a (smaller) one for Uhura. Is this how it’s going to go? Maybe let the characters breathe a bit first. I guess they did this on Next Gen as well. This is a minor nitpick. I’m enjoying this show immensely.

Final thought at this point. I’m not sold on La’an Noonien-Singh as a character. The actress is fine. But the current Trek franchise has run this shit into the ground. Step off. Do something else. Please.

Dude we learned more about Uhura in the first ten minutes of this episode than we did in the entire past 55 years of the franchise, as someone else smarter than me said. Enjoy it.

Heres the thing. To survive a show needs to appeal not just to hard core Trek fans but to the general viewing public. Not everyone out there has watched every minute of every Trek series, plus all of the movies and read a hundred books or so. People want a bit of character development so they can relate to the characters. So like it or not, that’s what you are going to get.

Did you miss this part?

I think character development is great. I would prefer that a TV series do more “show” than “tell”. Build it into an episode instead of doing a backstory dump.

Agreed, a more confident show would have this exposition come out naturally later in the season and trust viewers to make connections with how the character acted earlier. It’s weird to just drop this stuff at the first opportunity in the middle of an ongoing crisis.

Seems like Anson Mount was in a show called Hell on Wheels, has anyone watched that and could give it a thumbs up or down?

I’ve heard it’s good from Qt3 members over the years, but it’s too hard to actually watch. I think it’s on AMC’s streaming service.

Well, I just checked and at least over here its on Amazon Prime.

Sure did, got distracted at being at a toy convention.

It’s very good. I haven’t finish it yet, but I have watched the first 3+ seasons. I haven’t heard anyone who was interested in the subject that has disliked it.

Also as potentially added incentive for any Trek fans potentially interested in it, Colm Meaney (Chief O’Brien) has a supporting role, although he plays a very different character and is decidedly not the nice, friendly character he played in DS9. He does do a solid job though. But Anson Mount is really the standout performance in the serious.

I’ve been watching it on iTunes and think it’s worth the ~$25 /season cost. Although I suppose with AMC+ at $9/month it would be cheaper to get a subscription, especially if you’re going to binge.

The first season was fantastic. Lots of excellent performances but Mount was the stand out and Christopher Heyerdahl was great in it as well. Unfortunately for me, the series went in directions later on, that I really did not care for. That being said it was a very well acted series and worth watching. Especially if you like dark westerns… because this show does get dark.

Thumbs up!

I know all the AMC stuff used to be on a “primary” streaming service but it looks like now you can only see Hell on Wheels on AMC’s specialty service in the U.S. Streaming fragmentation sucks.

Seems Star Trek (a quintessential American story) is woke now. And I’ve started to like this new series.

Lol, clearly the author of that article is deeply familiar with the series and its creator. Yup.

(seriously, anyone who is using ‘woke’ like this has an agenda)

My eyes could not be rolling any harder at the fact that this is Fox’s hot take on ST:SNW.

To think that in the mid-1960s they had to frame the kiss of a white man and a black woman (with artificially straightened hair, mind) something that was forced upon both of them.

Its almost as much an eye roller as Elon Musk’s comment about modern sci fi being to political and woke.

Like, my dude, aside from pure pulp sci fi novels, thats been the genre since day 1. Thats one of the marks of great sci fi, it enables us to take a look at society from outside our tine and situation. Exploring concepts of race, gender, economics, biology, political systems, war, genocide, etc has been one of the defining things.

And the best most enduring works tend to have something to them that reflects this. Heinlein is a classic example, his works would not be nearly so memorable if there wasn’t the aspect of social commentary there. Farenheit 451, Brave New World, the entire catalogue of Ursula LeGuin, these stories are deeply rooted with social commentary and ideas.

One of the first sci fi stories, Jules Verne’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is wrapped with layers of commentary on colonialism and empire.

Ah, you know, it’s political when it’s not a message I’ve heard when I was a kid. People who complain about politics in media were probably raised on Raegan era action movies (which kinda continued into 90s) and don’t consider those to have any political message. All those stories about good white guys beating Arabs and Koreans, or about a cop who has to disregard the law to beat a gangster who has a mayor in his pocket - those are just stories, no politics there.

I just remembered that Episode 2 reminded me of a Star Trek Story Record (and comic) I had as a kid. It was all about communicating with music. I found info on it here:
http://danhausertrek.com/Records/Story_3.html