Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Ok, I need someone to nudge me towards a main character class otherwise I’ll never get past the character creation lol.

I’m currently playing an evoker on TB mode (normal difficulty), just got to the ruins on the first island where I picked up Aloth. A little disgruntled that I now have two wizards in the team I did some research and decided that my core party members will be Eder, Xoti and that druid (can’t remember the name atm). Last spot Will be either Aloth or Pallegina. All will use their respective main single class.

This will also determine my class, and I’m undecided between a cipher, wizard and paladin. Furthermore, I noticed that some wizard buffs are free action in TB and I’m now regretting picking a subclass a bit because it locked me out of some pretty good buffs, not to mention spells like chill fog and slicken.

I’m leaning towards cipher and having Aloth as self buffer/summoned weapons melee wizard/cc when needed but if ciphers suck in TB or anything like that I wouldn’t mind knowing in advance.

Also, what’s up with Dex? Some people say to dump it, some to leave it neutral (10). How does it apply for ciphers in TB? It was quite important in Poe1 on rtwp but I can’t tell if dumping it to 6 would severely gimp the character. I’m guessing cast times would be an issue?

Also, are turns between your party and enemy forces 1 to 1 or does higher initiative give you more turns over longer combat sequences?