Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Honest, the turn-based mode is amazingly cool and makes it almost like a totally different game, the best of both worlds at last - it’s a huge bummer that the game hasn’t sold well, they did such a great job with it. I can understand complaints of mechanics (and in some cases, I share them) and I can understand complaints about the central story not having a lot of meat on the bones (I would guess 70% of the game’s “hours played” comes from exploration/side content), but those concerns shouldn’t have caused folks into RPG’s like this to not buy it? I wouldn’t have thought at any rate. I’m not sure what happened with sales but I don’t like it - this kind of RPG is my favorite, and having it fall to the side (again) would suck.

With the PS4 release Youtube was throwing new videos out, some cool ideas for character builds that I couldn’t resist. So I reinstalled the damn game again and going with a Transcendent moon godlike (helwalker monk and soul blade cipher).

Feel like Pacino in the kitchen from the Godfather 3 scene.

Just when I think I’m out. . .

Started yet another new game, this time RTwP with a dual pistol-wielding dwarf paladin/berserker who wears robes and is spec’d to just spam flames of devotion with those two guns over and over. The damage output is insane.

what? You can combo that? Nope, nope not playing it again…(resisting)…

I haven’t played Deadfire yet because I am a fool.

Still on my replay of BG. On Throne of Bhaal, which always struck me as a very linear combat heavy game with your party against armies, with only the occasional fight requiring pausing and focusing on key targets. It is like the anti-BG1 combat. When they actually throw just waves of never-ending enemies at you it doesn’t really matter. They can’t actually hit my frontline with average AC of -14. The drow enclave is the most extreme example. I think I spent like 10 minutes just mowing down indefinitely re-spawning enemies…all dropping +3 gear, potions, etc, until I realized I needed to move forward to trigger the mini-boss guy.

I’m still trying to finish Pillars. I’ve got 88 hours in my game and am half way, I think, through the north area expansion which I went to before finishing the main quest. I’m pretty sure I’m at the doorstep of the main story ending. I bought Deadfire though on the KS just to support the team and the genre which the world needs more of. Adding the turn based mode had me thinking I might just bolt to the main quest and start Deadfire. The realtime pause is starting to get too hectic for my tastes. I guess I’m getting old.

The crazy thing is that abilities that are full attacks, like Flames of Devotion, fire both guns. If you’re just doing auto attacks, you reload one gun and fire per action (even with fast attack speed). And with the berserker’s frenzy, that’s 25% attack speed, light armor, special gear that reduces reload time, and he’s a little A-10 with his dual legendary pistols.

I have been playing this game for the last month. I like the pirate theme. The game does feel a little bland/unexciting however. Still I recommend it. (The turn-based mode is a plus.)

I finished this. It was okay I guess. I’m glad it’s over.

I’m going to take a break for a while and then try Tides of Numenera.

A significantly worse experience.

I’m with Scott here. I’d move towards Pathfinder… or… Divinity…

I disagree, I think Tides of Numenera is worth a playthrough, if you enjoy talky-RPGs.

Or if you enjoy ancient alien inconcievable strange disturbing senseless curious unattractive rock descriptions.

Add me to the skip Tides of Numenera bandwagon.

Play literally anything else. Even replay PS:T:EE instead.

Okay, thanks.

Has anyone finished this game? I got about half way through, then stopped…:(

It’s rare I finish an rpg.

It can be quite short. If you play on lower difficulty level and/or with level scaling you don’t have to do anything apart from the main storyline so you can do it in a day.

I have played it in turn based and real time and pushed a bit though but no… I have never finished. Someone needs to tell Josh Sayer (and this goes for Pillars 1 as well): the end game matters.

It stops being a challenge and I drift off to something else.

Probably 5-6x, with another 20-ish builds that range from a handful to 15-20 hours invested. I’ve got over 300 hours in the game.

Yeah. Tides…isn’t very good. I still finished it. I suppose if you just like prose, but I think one of its main problems is it takes itself too seriously and there is like…zero humor. No Morte-like character. Nothing.

I don’t even remember what the game was mainly about but I could still summarize PS:T even though it has been much longer since I played it.