Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Switch version cancelled.

Microsoft!!!

Random?

Anyway, Versus Evil is the publisher and they made the call. I assume it could have been done, but no one wanted to invest the resources to make it happen.

Pillars 1 felt pretty rough on the switch, I’m not surprised that they decided 2 was a bridge too far.

For sure - I think there is a way they could have made it work, but it would have been costly is what I was saying. Sort of a shame, I’d love to replay it on the handheld, but not shocking.

Pillars 2 is rated as Playable on the Steam Deck with

Some in-game text is small and may be difficult to read

So I guess that could be an option for handheld gaming.

Good point!

I dunno, I couldn’t get stable framerate on my 2070 Super. Steam Deck has lower resolution and 30fps target, so it might still be fine. But yeah, this text would be very hard to read.

Dang I was really hanging for this on Switch. I have it on my PS5 wishlist, but reading on the TV puts me off.

How does the first Pillars of Eternity hold up?

I like it. There’s a bit too much combat, RTwP works if you engage with it like with a standard RTS game [normal difficulty], some encounters are a bit annoying though. The world building is first class and overall it’s an intreresting story in an interesting setting. Itemization it pretty lackluster, the UI’s just solid. In 4k it’s shiny and didn’t age a day. Pacing is good, except…

It’s long though. The second addon really was a drag. I very much enjoyed the first one. The addons take place while playing the main campaign.

I guess I posted something somewhere here when I played it in autum. If you are in the mood, take your time… there’s a wonderful RPG there. I wouldn’t rank any other cRPG (that) much higher. Well, if you are in the mood, take your time… ; disclaimer: there are times I really can’t stand PoE for whatever reason and there are times I am totally in love with them.

How do you think it might work on the Steamdeck? Would stuff be too tiny?

It has pretty good text/UI scaling and there’s a controller layout specifically made for it. Though I’d say playing with the controller could somehow undermine the pacing. Everything will take a little bit longer, things can get tiresome. But from what I remember: yes, it’s doable and maybe even ‘fine’ if you invest some time to get used to it.

On a different note, I thought Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader does a bit better on the Deck. Its controls are less complicated/more optimzied thanks to its turn based combat. The Deck will get loud but with headphones it plays nicely. Some texts are pretty small but overall it works.

I mention it because I think both games share the same ‘spirit’ of gaming, if that isn’t too far fetched to say.

I played about 5-10 hours on the Switch and it was just fine to play. I didn’t end up liking it much but I would guess that it would play fine on the Deck since it gets a checkmark for font legibility.

I have found that watching a YouTube video of the game being played on the deck gives me a realistic idea of it will be playable for me.

PoE2 worked fine on Steam Deck for me.

One of my favourite games of all time and it’s in my top 10 of most time played games in modern tracking (i.e. last 14 years or so). It’s better than the Deadfire, even though I very much enjoyed it as well. I feel the setting and the story were something so unique and they drew me in like few other games.

If you are asking about how it is in 2024, I’m afraid I haven’t played it in many years and can’t comment, so the other comments would better serve you there. But happy to see PoE threads bumped; it may draw in a new player or two after all this time, and both are on GP!

I played the first PoE about a month or so ago, really enjoyed it. Couldn’t say how it plays on a Steam deck though.

Pillar’s 1 DLCs are the best parts. I think that is the high point of the entire series for me.

Give me a town with quests, then give me that same town later, after some time has passed, with more quests, and I’ll love it forever!

So I’m working my way through this game now and I’m having a blast. I forgot how much I enjoyed these old school feeling games, especially with all the cool quality of life stuff that’s thrown in. I never really helped with RTwP in stuff like Baldur’s Gate - to the point that I never completed the first game or even start the second one - but it’s working for me in these two games. Also really dig the new location and characters, and the way it carries the story forward. I’m going to be a little bummed when this is done, but at least I have Avowed to look forward to.

You guys keep resurrecting this thread and it’s making me want to reinstall Deadfire.