Pillars of Eternity

What! I also read Dragonlance in junior high and this version looks awesome! Thanks for mentioning this!

My understanding was that the idea was to make every attribute viable for every class. I like it in theory, but it does lead to scenarios where my presumably somewhat frail cypher can pass a might test by moving a boulder or something.

Okay, the reincarnation of Raederic V11 is a real bitch. So I assume until I can kill him I have to put up with a zombie invasion every few days?

Which seems weird to me. If every attribute matters equally to every class, there are no points in stats. If they don’t matter equally, what is being solved here?

Huh? You bias for build and playstyle, like any decently balanced system. Do you want your wizard to have more damage (Might) or more AOE (Intellect)? Do you want faster casting/action speed (Dexterity)?

Compare to, say, D&D where the first thing you do is set INT to the highest value you can because all of your attacks are solely that and the STR/DEX values might as well not exist except for the occasional saving throw.

(AoE. You want AoE. Might is for druids and rogues.)

That’s where the system shines. You can have two characters of the same class play totally differently. There are optimum builds to be sure, but if you don’t care about min/maxing you can have a lot of fun trying out different attribute allocations.

Oh, and don’t forget duration. INT for duration is more appealing for certain classes than the AOE bonus you also get.

Having played through the entire game, I genuinely don’t know if I want action speed or damage. I’ve still no idea how to do the calculations to make that decision.

At least with a wizard I do agree, you can at least choose CC or damage. I still have little idea how to do the calculations to work out which I do want, but at least it’s a choice I can commit to.

That is pretty much how I feel. It is hard to figure out where the best bang for your buck is.

So I have met the Adra Dragon and I am his. This thing is kicking my ass. I am lvl 12, I think I just need to figure out what works and doesn’t work against this guy.

So any tips.

I wonder if they will ever port the turn-based rules from PoE2 to PoE1. You’d think they would because elevating the franchise as a whole makes more sense in the long run. I mean, in 20 years no one is going to care that one game is the sequel, or that one was developed before/after the other one, except for whatever is necessitated by the story. (OTOH, in 20 years Obsidian could be defunct. 20 years is a long time.)

They’ve said probably not.

You might want to have a look at my post from way back when (the paragraph with the spoiler tag): Pillars of Eternity
After banging my head against the wall, I prepared extensively for the fight, with the end result that it became relatively easy.

The main thing, if I remember correctly, is to buff your accuracy like crazy. If you check the combat log, you will most likely find that most party members don’t hit the enemy at all. Mostly, this is due to the fear debuff. So everything that boosts accuracy is your friend!

Thanks for the help. I will give it a try later today.

By the way, that is a nice post you made which expresses a great deal about how I feel about the game.

Once you get the prismatic wall spell from the expansion all fights become a lot easier.

I just keep getting my ass handed to me. It is probably my party make up, which works great against most enemies but not so good against an Adra Dragon. I have basically 3 tanks, Durance and 2 wizards. Very few things can stand up to the barrage my wizards can put up when I can defend them with the tanks. But the tanks are useless in this fight.

That fight made me rage quit. Still haven’t beaten it. I promptly changed from hard to normal but found out that it wouldn’t change the difficulty of that fight. I know its an optional fight but Im still salty about it.

I changed my party to 1 tank, Kana, Durance, the Grieving Mother and 2 Wizards. All lvl 12.

My first try I failed after the Adra Dragon had been at “Near Dead” for 10 minutes. So I reloaded, and tried something I had never thought of. Scrolls can be used by anyone with enough lore. I now had a party of 5 characters with 12 lore. I crafted or bought a load of scrolls, Maelstrom, Protection, Missle Barrage, No Fear etc. With Kana spamming drakes and all those freakin spells the boss went down. It still took awhile, but this time I had enough power to keep doing damage.

I don’t like the idea of having a boss that basically makes tanks useless. Tanks must be in close quarters and this damn boss has a couple moves that are insta-kills to them. I remember in the Baldurs Gate games your tanks could (with healing) do damage against almost any boss. In this fight they are basically decoys.

In BG1 or BG2 I set traps around one of the dragons, and he basically just stepped on them after the dialogue was over and immediately died IIRC.

PoE does some things that make some items useless. You can only lay twp traps apparently, at least when I tried to do more the game got rid of one of the others. Items don’t stack, so some actual make others worthless. There are also so many items you can’t use until the battle starts, so you can’t really take advantage of them. These include some spells and some potions, like fleet feet.

I know I did things like that. In BG2 when you fight the Giants in the expansion you could always set traps and lure them into them. And those traps did real damage.