Pirate games?

Can’t add anything to the list of existing pirate-themed games, but you should know that the future is bright: the upcoming Two Worlds II expansion, Pirates of the Floating Fortress, is due in September, and Risen’s sequel is totally about pirates.

I liked Uncharted Waters back then, too, but it’s a bit hard to get into now for some reason (at least for me).

I thought I was the only one who thought this :P

I don’t think any pirate-themed game has came close to the well-constructed and good-fun that Meier’s original “Pirates!” was.
IMHO, with a bit of contemporary tech & polish, the old formula would prove best still.

Black Cove Pirates look nice, though. Might try it some time.

Get the demo , its less than 800mb.

I am gonna give it a spin in a little while.

Risen 2 looks like it might have a pirate flavor. That won’t be out until sometime next year though.

How did we fuck-up contemporary games so badly that “less than 1GB” has become a pitch for why to grab a demo? Why is that even considered acceptable? When/where was that shifting point?

Sigh.

10 min download is considered aceptable ( 900 MB, at 1.4 MB/s. )

30 min is aceptable. ( 2.5 GB, at 1.4 MB/s )

1 hour is enough to skip if you only have minimal curiosity

3 and beyond, only GOTY material.

more than 5 hours, and maybe is a good idea to skip the thing and wait for other type of release.

Maybe if you’re near server, server has major pipeline, or got good peering/routing.
Otherwise, this is an unfeasible rate.

Steam regularly hovers between 1.4 and 1.6 for me.

I don’t do Steam. And I doubt Peter Gabriel approves, either.

Honestly, your beef should be with ISPs in America.

My VerizonDSL is capped at like 182 KB/s… If something is over 1.5gb in a demo I won’t even consider it, and even 1gb is something I have to do overnight.

I dunno, but it sounds to me like Pogo is right… We can usually get stuff from GOG & Impulse at around 2MB/s, and we’re in Denmark.

Yes, it’s all fucked up with “high resolution textures” and “music and sound” and “complex landscape foliage” and “animations”. Tch, what a bunch of crap.

that sounds more like ISDN speeds… what city is that in? even at&t has better speeds than that on their most basic dsl service.

And now, a joke:

How about Arrrr-Type?

Ithangyew.

Koei made a F2P MMO based off the franchise, Uncharted Waters Online. It was released about six years ago in Asia, and started a global/everywhere-except-Asia version/server last year. There’s a good amount of piratey-ness. The game is divided up into three main areas: adventure, trade, and maritime (combat). Plenty to do, but it is an MMO, with all that entails. The F2P aspect has not been a major obstacle, in my experience. You can get along just fine without any purchases.

Commander: Conquest of the Americas may have a Pirate presence? Not sure, will be buying it tomorrow though.

Also, what exactly are you looking for? Full Pirate naval simulation with battles, determining cannon shot, etc.? Something more high-level like plundering treasure fleets and selling the booty?