Pizza chains

Chicago deep dish pizza is not pizza, it’s greasy dough and shit piled on it.

That’s not a pizza. It’s the equivalent of a badly made quiche with soggy dough and too much sauce. Fucking, ick!

Quiche has eggs, dude.

I’m surprised it took until post 81 for the Chicago vs. New York style pizza arguments to begin.

My local Dominos is awesome. They use a lot of sauce, and it tastes great. The spicy Hawaiin and the Extravaganzza are my faves. When my mother-in-law comes to visit, she always wants Dominos. She claims that it isn’t as good back home, and I tend to believe that. I’ve always thought Dominos was OK, but this one is really really good. We also have some local places, and I like their pizza, but mainly I like their salad (one place has a special French dressing. We get extra every time so I can have it on other salads).

Anyway, as chains go, I vote for Dominos, with the caveat that my local store is probably better than yours.

Good Chicago-style pizza is neither greasy nor soggy. It’s sublime. Also nearly impossible to find outside of Chicago.

Yes! There is a local chain here that makes good deep dish, not “chicago” good, but we manage.

Yeah, we have one here in Rochester called Chester Cab, which makes probably the closest thing to a good Chicago-style pizza as I’ve had outside of the Chicago area. The guy that runs the place used to work for Giordano’s in Chicago, though, so that would probably explain it. His pies aren’t quite as good as Giordano’s, but they are reasonably close.

Costco’s take and bake pizzas are pretty good. Better then Pizza Hut/Domino’s/etc. We usually buy 3 or 4 when they’re on sale and then stick them in the freezer.

Yeah, their margherita pizza is damn tasty. Pepperoni is too greasy, though.

I miss their old, square pizzas. The plain cheese ones were great templates for loading up with custom ingredients.

Hell yes! Sounds good for tonight actually.

[Old man rant]

I’m really tired of how Chicago (and to a lessor extent, NYC) likes to claim credit for inventing the “best pizza in the world.” Because at least through the 1980s, St. Louis had you all beat by a country mile. Square rather than round, soft not hard crust, emphasis on provolone rather than on mozzarella. To call it “Chicago-good” would have been an insult.

And then, Luigi’s closed, and it was soon lost.

“All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.” [Sniff.]

[/old man rant]

That’s a funny joke dude. Tell more.

“Location: Brooklyn, NY” Kinda says it all right there, doesn’t it?

By the way, I lived in NYC for over ten years, and the pizza there – particularly the street pizza – is indeed damn fine, there’s no denying that. John’s Pizza is indeed divine. But it ain’t Luigi’s.

So, how long did you live in St. Louis?

Never had the pleasure. But come on, while provolone makes a damn fine topping for a pizza, the three main ingredients are sauce cheese and fresh basil. And the first pizzeria in the USA was in NYC. In fact Lombardi’s is still open. I apologize for the condescending tone of my comment.

I grew up in Cocoa Beach Florida. There was one of these not to far from my house. We used to go there regularly. I loved this place a kid. Unfortunately they, and all the others in Florida went out of business. I had always wanted to try it as an adult to see if it was still that good. I wish they would start to grow again so that one might be built near me someday.

No apologies needs. I figured you were just having some fun with me.

But listen young padwan, a provolone-based cheese topping on a sweeter sauce with Italian sausage and pepper and a doughy-crust you’d never forget. And that’s St. Louis. It’s like your first love, but without all the arguing over the toilet seat.

Edit: And as you get older, the issue of the toilet seat increases in it’s relevance.

Edit 2: Hi Annie!

I just hate that pizza chains rarely, if ever, make white pizza. I know exactly one pizza place near me (out of about 5) that makes a white pizza, and luckily it’s pretty damned good. Of course, they’re not a chain, and they specialize in NY-style pizza, so all their stuff is generally good.

The other 4 places are all chains (Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Little Caesar’s, and Mario’s), and although I haven’t tried Mario’s, they’re all sorta meh. Little Caesar’s in Vegas is definitely better than what I remember of them in Jersey, although their deep-dish is their best offering, and even then it’s average, at best (I’m not a huge fan of their regular crust, although for $5, at least it’s cheap).

There used to be a Rosati’s near me, which made some quite excellent Chicago-style deep dish (their non-deep-dish stuff was kind of bland), but unfortunately they closed down.

Excuse my ignorance, but by "white pizza"are you referring to the sauce or the cheeses used? Because white sauce isn’t that rare in my experience.

White pizza has no sauce. Just a bit of olive oil, cheese, and maybe some basil.

Edit: And garlic, duh.

White Pizza is (generally) topped with Ricotta Cheese and a cream sauce (no tomatoes)