Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

You can rent it for $2.99 through Amazon Instant Video

I think you mean 1986. In any case, I’d agree with Ferris Bueller, but the others would pretty much have to be the Molly Ringwald films and I’d choose Planes, Trains and Automobiles over any of those.

It’s OK, but by no means the best Hughes or Thanksgiving movie. Ferris and Scent of a Woman

I got home and checked. Netflix instantwatch in the U.S. still has it for streaming. Yay! But it’s rated R, so I was nervous about really young kids watching it, even though I don’t remember anything objectionable in it from when I last saw it. But that was a long time ago.

So I watched Inside Out instead. What a great movie! My dad was especially moved, and the teenagers and toddlers all loved it too.

Anyone remember why Planes Trains and Automobiles was Rated R?

Well I remember that one part with the rental car where there are about 100 or so “fucks” so it’s probably most language-based.

Yeah, this movie is a fuckfest. Uh, linguistically speaking. As for me, I remember finding this movie cute but not especially memorable. Maybe I should check it out again.

I just watched this with my son because he had never seen it and the “You’re going the wrong way!” line is something I’ve used and had to explain in the past. He loved it! :)

Del as the devil during the trip between the trucks gets me every time! 😂🤣😂🤣

I watch it every Thanksgiving, its the best!

I love this movie so much. It’s a nearly perfect film, to my mind. Great casting. It’s Funny and poignant in equal measure, which is a tough to pull off.

My wife and I are always reciting lines from this. One of our favorites is to enact the “Do you feel this vehicle is safe for highway travel” scene when we see a beater on the highway.

Roger Ebert wrote a really good retrospective. He liked it when he saw it initially, but it eventually became a family favorite and a holiday tradition (like it is for many others, I suspect).

The line the wife and I always use - during the winter - is…

What do you think the temperature is?
One.

I never see a shower curtain ring without thinking of this movie.

-xtien

“And if they told you wolverines would make good house pets, would you believe them?”

You know, I’ve never really been a fan of this movie. I certainly don’t hate it - don’t think I have it in me to hate anything that features John Candy and Steve Martin, but the humor is a bit broad for me until the whole thing gets a little too maudlin for me at the end. But oh well.

My GF uses the following one sometimes when I touch her under the covers:
“THOSE AREN’T PILLOWS!”

A fucking Datsun, a fucking Toyota, a fucking Mustang, a fucking Buick. Four fucking wheels and a seat.

Can I see your contract?

Its that time of year again! Enjoy this video:

I watch this every Thanksgiving eve with my family and we are looking forward to watching it tomorrow after pizza!

“People train runs out of Stubbville.”

If my timing is right, I can usually use this line on my wife with little-to-no bodily harm.

Thanks for this! Interesting info even if he might lay it on a bit thick at times.

I’m surprised that when he was so far into his career, Hughes was still writing and shooting things so long. As far as I can tell, every change they made was better for the story. Overshooting Chicago and Neal’s wife thinking he’s having an affair the whole time just muddle up the elegant simplicity of the story and the relationships. Some movies want to be 90 minutes long.

And of course Del’s giant monologues on the plane and in the diner got cut for time! Talk is cheap, John. Show, don’t tell. Like Paul F. Tompkins sez: You know this.