Planescape Torment Question: Why is there no armor?

I have decided to go back and play PST again, mostly because I am bored to death with the current crop of PC games out and I am trying to stall re-activating WoW for as long as possible.

The first time I played through, I played as a Mage and did notice the lack of armor in the game.

This time I want to go through as a fighter, and there is absolutely no armor. I can’t find leather, let alone plate. No shields either.

Does anyone know why? I went to some PST sites that listed items and merchants. Nobody sells any. What is the reason the developers intentionally didn’t put any armor in the game?

Immortality makes things like armor seem moot. shrug

Exactly. What are they going to do, KILL you? Hell, you do that yourself just for kicks!

I would think the Nameless One at some point would have realized the futility of wearing armor and just decided to be comfortable instead. Your other party members are a rogue, a mage with his own special clothing problems, a prostitute (I am ashamed to admit I’ve forgotten what Grace actually does in D&D terms…is she a cleric?), and what amounts to a monk. None of those characters are very armory. IIRC, the only pure fighter type you get IS a suit of armor.

You can buy magic tattoos, use magic jewelry, and you can boost your DEX as you gain levels.

But no armor. I’d say this is mostly because Black Isle couldn’t afford to spend time on the animations, since you’d have to make a new set of animations for each character and for every type of armour available to them. The joys of 2d gaming.

But they built the game around this limitation, so nothing is really missing.

Fall-From-Grace is a cleric, as you surmised. Your shame is not necessary.

Yeah, put some armor on the burning floating guy!

Oh wait.

What we need is a set of armor for the metal cube.

Oh wait.

Ok, fine, how about for the floating skull? Maybe a helmet? Or for the guy who gets stabbed in the heart and goes “Yeah, I like that! Yeah, me likey, do it again!”

He’s immortal? Man, you just spoiled it for me! Way to ruin my gaming.

Charlatan: Hold on to your hat, this one is a doozy: Gordon Freeman is a SCIENTIST who shoots things. Hahahah I totally spoiled another game for you.

There’s no evidence of that.

I think he forged his PhD by sneaking into the college vent system.

Gordon failed his oral exams.

Gordon really just has a PhD in ass-kicking from Shut-your-alien-face University.

Also, the Nameless One is a pimp, he has a prostitute in tow everywhere he goes. He should have the Three 6 Mafia song going as his theme all the time. She can experience the sensations of being slapped by his pimp hand when she acts a fool.

The Nameless One could kick his ass though.

It’s a sort of a running gag. The best AC bonuses come from earrings and tats, and that slot says empty for the whole game.

I played as a fighter for the first 10 levels only because I somehow missed the mage quest. All stat bonuses went into INT, CHR, and WIS though. Heh. I was a pretty crappy fighter. I just gave the minor and major fighter tats to D’Akkon and he killed everything in the game. Then I finally found the mage quest anyway.

The CNPCs have their own armor/cloths, which they refuse to remove (which is well within their right), and the PC really doesn’t need any being Immortal and all. I’ve heard from devs that they deliberately didn’t include a lot of things that are typical in a fantasy crpg. IE there are no elves, dwarves, and barely any swords to be found in PS:T…

The CNPCs have their own armor/cloths, which they refuse to remove (which is well within their right)

[irish brogue]Watch the leather![/irish brogue]

But you get to punch an angel in the face, so that’s something.

Soylent Green is a MOVIE!

Really? There’s an armor slot, but the game never produces any armor with which to fill it? That is… fucking brilliant. It’s like the “wouldn’t it be funny if” amateur game designer contigent held a conference and racked their brains for a funny idea that would actually make the players laugh rather than seethe with rage.

Planescape Torment just got bumped up a few notches on my to-play list.

Um… why wasn’t it on the top of your list already?

PLAY IT NOW.