Planet Coaster - Rollercoaster Tycoon with Frontier Development

Wow, I am terrible at making coasters. Terr. I. Ble. Either the cars get stuck or the flyyyhyyyyyyy off the track. High-larryous. I’ll likely get better at it but wow, so bad.

I tried to build a monorail! It was too, too high and the queue was like climbing Mt. Everest.

And how do I add another station? I have no clue. The game really, really needs a tutorial.

I’m having flashbacks to the release of Elite. Really cool game with virtually no thought given to the new user experience. :( C’mon, Frontier, you guys should know better.

-Tom

As you point out, Frontier Does this with every stinking game. When they released Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 years ago it was the same. Someone needs a kick in jinglejangles over there who deal with interface and user experience.

Still trying to build my monorail. Does anyone know if it can be set to go back and forth between two stations? I wanted it to be able to bring people from the gate to the back of the park. There doesn’t seem to be a setting that I can find. My cars just go through the second station and crash.

I still cannot figure out how to turn the track so I could just bring it around the perimeter as an alternative. There is autocomplete function and I was trying to see if I could just lay the blue line that appears around the perimeter but that does not seem to work either.

Edit:
I went browsing on the official forums and the Monorail cannot be set to shuttle mode.

I found a video that helped me learn how to create a Monoral:

Well that’s pretty terrible. That’s a basic function of a monorail.

I have been playing in the sandbox mode most of the day. There is quite a bit of frustration in trying to do some simple things. Like setting an entrance and exit on a track type ride. You have to select from four choices for the entrances and exit to work. I would like to just pick entrance and place it where I want but you first have to pick whether you want the entrance/exit to be left, left, or left, right, or right, left, or right, right. It gets confusing (after trial and error make sure you think about which direction the ride is going to determine what will be left and right).

The queue line is terrible to set and trying to get it to spiral down - I still cannot figure it out even after watching a video or two (I want a button that says build stairs instead of hoping that the tool will - probably is a way to do it, but hey no tutorial, and I have not yet found a good video on how to make the stairs thingie show up).

I cannot seem to just get a path to go straight as click (it looks like it veers a little bit as I build the path). I suppose it is actually a better ascetic to not go exactly straight or maybe it is my eyesight playing tricks on me.

I suppose that eventually I will learn and muscle memory will take over. Maybe it is just me getting older too.

Some of the Steam Workshop rides are amazing but when I place them trying to figure out where the creator wants us to put the entrance and exit is difficult for me. My daughter was helping me look for the starting section of the ride. They are buried amongst so much scenery it can be hide to find.

At least the music is wonderful as I listen and try to learn how to do things.

Started using all these classic style buildings for shops and facilities as I am horrible at designing everything :D

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=799059087

Also really like this wooden coaster design I came across in the workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798381098

And this person made a Subway!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=801109449

And the tiny shops collection is pretty nice too!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=800030045

There are eighteen thousand items in Steam Workshop for this game. How is that possible!?!

I thought you meant an underground train not the subway sandwich shop! :)

And 90% of them are shaped like a penis!

-Tom

Here’s a roller coaster I built into some pre-existing terrain (granted, terrain I built with the intention of putting a roller coaster in it):

Scenery not yet finished. I want to cover the top of the cave with a palm forest and a pirate camp, and put some wondrous things in the cave below. >.>

nice cave coaster!! Are you thinking of adding any more lighting down there?

Yup, that’s on the list—I want to put some pirates-and-redcoats interactions along the track, along with camps and lights.

Really cool and agree that a little more lighting would be neat!

Someone built a set of Bio Domes.

Holy cow that is beautiful.

Fishbreath - thanks for your upload the other day. You gave me so many good ideas!

Is there a way to organize the blueprint tab in the game with the blueprints we download from the Workshop by theme? Like Western rides and buildings?

To get a perfectly straight path:

1. select the path tool and make sure you have “Angle Snap” on (I usually just leave it set to 15)
  2. click the “Select Grid” button on the path tool interface.
  3. click on another piece of path.

You’ll now get a grid where you can place paths perfectly.

Thanks, @HumanTon that helped me a lot!

Does anyone know I created a water ride and placed a small water hole with the Kracken/Ship scene, but when I create a blueprint for it, it only has the ride plus the terrain (water hole). Is there a way to include the kraken as well?