PlanetSide: TeamSpeak

It took me a little bit of time to tell the difference between Rywill and Grisha, but now I think I can. Most everyone else I can tell (usually).

I can usually pick out the voice of my gunners/drivers pretty quickly because there is pretty frequent communication so the voice stays fresh in memory but as soon as people no longer share a vehicle with me I couldn’t say who’s who to save my life. Except Gary, for obvious reasons, and McMaster, his claims that he does not have an accent notwithstanding.

Dear, sweet Kalle. You haven’t heard a real southern accent. Depending on my level of exhaustion I speak quickly or slowly. You should hear some people around here, it can get very “Deliverance” very quickly.

No joke. McMaster doesn’t have much (if any) of a Southern accent. To me, he sounds like he grew up in the Midwest (as do most of the people on our TS server). Everyone still has a distinctive voice, just not much of a drawl or twang.

Oh, I believe you, my only impression is that compared to the other guys on Teamspeak your voice is pretty distinct.

You could have fooled me. Both of you sound like the deep south* to my New England ears. I like Xaroc’s voice the best, he just sounds like a dad.

• And when I say deep south, I mean hillbillies. :D

Hey, I lived in Maine for a while, I know Hillbillies.

Yeah, I have a strange voice, at least to me I do. I smoke too much and I’m slightly nasal.

Oh, and I’m shooting you next time I’m on.

Did you know that I’m originally from Maine? Or do you just know the plain simple fact that Mainers are inherently hicks?

-Spiritual son of Joshua Chamberlain

As if he wasn’t going to do that anyway.

That’s probably because we’re brothers, much as I’m loath to admit it.

Did you know that I’m originally from Maine? Or do you just know the plain simple fact that Mainers are inherently hicks?

-Spiritual son of Joshua Chamberlain[/quote]

I had no idea that you were from Maine. I did live north of Bangor for a while, with my dad and man I met some interesting people.

Bangor? I hardly even know her!

The big problem with Teamspeak is that it’s very difficult to tell who is talking. Accents help some, but not enough. Maybe we should each have a different enforced silly accent to aid in differentiation. :)

The only other thing I can think of is trying to adopt radio-frequency style jargon, like “This is Xemu. Looking for a gunner. Over.” but that strikes me as only somewhat less silly than using silly accents. :)

(and heck, I never talk on TS, only listen, because I can usually only play after the family has gone to bed)

Squad numbers work well for quick communication. Everyone already has a number that shows up on the minimap so if you need to convey some locational information it’s pretty convenient to just go by the numbers. “This is six, Flail just north of my position”, and “Three, getting hammered by Reavers, need anti-air now” works well. Of course, this feels a bit silly since the QT3 outfit is supposed to be made up of people who mostly know eachother already, but it minimises confusion and works well.

I am a huge fan of either “Enemy AMS at four” and so on. Much, much easier to deal with. At worst, use your name instead of “I” or “me” (e.g., “Rywill needs repairs”). But numbers are much better.

Rywill needs repairs! sounds like we’re playing Gauntlet.

Its easy to get people to come to your position, its harder to do a spotting report. “Enemy AMS to the north of the base over a hill” – I don’t know any better way to say that. Too bad lazing stuff doesn’t make the laze points appear on everyone’s map.

I vaguely recall seeing something in the “in development” stuff about that. Some way for each soldier to have one squad-visible waypoint on the map or something. Until then, I think stuff like “AMS north of 4” or “AMS in southwest corner of courtyard” works fine.

“Rywill needs food, badly!”

My preferred method for waypointing enemy AMSes? Easy, here’s the step by step:

1. Find enemy AMS cloak bubble.
  2. Run into enemy AMS cloak bubble. Stand in spawn tube.
  3. Shoot enemies non-fatally.
  4. When enemies kill you, report “Enemy AMS at my death position” in TS.
  5. Upon releasing, right click your death position in the respawn map. You won’t see the waypoint being placed, but when you rez, it’ll be there. Now just go back, and bring the firepower to do the job. :)

Ok, guys, yesterday we filled the TS server up, leaving Grisha and some other guys out so we could talk all sorts of smack about them. There were about 3 people hanging out that weren’t online, and without any way to kick them, they just took up spots. I guess there’s a limited number of spots on a TS server – I didn’t know that either.

Things got better when we think Austen rebooted his computer and kicked everyone off. So what I’m asking is that sadly, stop using the TS server as a “who’s playing!” list, so that if we get lots of guys in we can actually get them all into TS.

Pav is pretty close. I needed to reboot my PC, but couldn’t login to the server and let people know because it was full. That’s why everyone got dumped :P

In other news, I bumped the user limit from 16 to 24. If that is inadequate, I will bump it again.