Play by Forum: Hexplore It - The Sands of Shurax

We’re a glass cannon party. As long as we don’t have to absorb damage, we can really punish.

I will stash please. Nice work team! Think we should skip the pyramid.

Cheya takes the Power Up. Rolling: 2. +1 added to Electrify, +1 to Defend.
Chimminy tries his luck as well. Rolling: 3, 1, 4. +2 to all four Abilities, +2 to Survival, and a new Favored Opponent type of your choice, @ArmandoPenblade . Plus all Chimminy’s Favored Opponent damage/outlast reduction is doubled for the rest of the game.

Stepping up on the event:
9 starting energy drain.
Cheya leads, needs 8, 9, has -1 bonus. Rolling: 7 (8-1), 8 (9-1). (These dice!). Success, Success. 5 energy drain remaining and hits Cheya.
Chimminy is up next, needs 8, 6, has -1 bonus. Rolling: 3 (4-1), 1 (1-1). Success, Critical Success. No energy drain remaining.

Three votes for skipping the Pyramid, so it recedes into the haze, and we get a fresh Caravan Master joining the journey and two new events!
Master is:

You may now purchase items (w/ standard caravan restrictions and +2 gold markup, of course).
The next event is:

Remember that you get both Masters’ bonuses and rewards.
The cap at your group size is 5 events, so you will hit that, btw.

I’ll go first again. I can only critically fail. After this event, I’m gonna buy and use an ironscale potion to restore my energy (5g I think), unless @Thraeg will lend me one. And with Hanna’s bonus and the camping bonus, I think that Chiminy can only critically fail as well.

4g. they’re 3g +1 surcharge from the Master.

Sure, I’m happy to lend it.

Isn’t it meant to be a specific caravan master who shows up?

Good catch. Yes. I have now edited my previous post with the correct Master. Turns out they’re a married couple.

I am going to assume you mean before this event, because it tests your current energy, not your max.
Cheya steps up, needing 9, 9, with a -3 bonus to the first test and -1 to the second. Rolls: 6 (9-3), 1 (2-1). Success, Critical Success. Energy Drain reduced to 2.
Chimminy is next up, needing 9, 6, with -3 and -1 respectively. Rolls: 1 (3-3), 2 (3-1). Critical Success, Success. And that’s a wrap.

Next event (you may make purchases before doing this):

The cost would be 8 gold to bribe Jesca. (And the Remnant placement of course.) Here is the one desert mission for reference:

If you do it, consider doing the regular reputation - it would only move you one step towards Tarri and you’ve helped with three Caravan events so you’re getting 3 points of rep move towards Rebellious or Righteous or some combo thereof, maybe even four if the next event is one with energy drain.

Chance of success with Staevin’s explore bonus is about 40%, more if we use weighted dice. I’d say it’s probably worth the 8g (2g/ea) to give it a try. Agree with going same reputation.

Hmm. So, on the one hand, the rules do say that the Caravan Master’s stat bonuses apply “until the journey ends”. And as it’s a caravan event allowing you to attempt this, it definitely hasn’t ended. On the other hand, missions aren’t explicitly something they participate in and there’s explicit text about the couple of masters that directly help you with boss fights or encountering things on a HOTtile that I’ve seen. So I’m not sure that it’s intended that they pitch in on that, what with it not being the caravan’s problem.

I guess we’ll play it as them helping because you bribed them.

OK, I agree with that ruling :)

I’d suggest rolling in order of success likelihood (i.e. me and Chiminy first), re-rolling failures with weighted dice and/or using Chiminy’s racial ability if applicable.

Skill test missions are just everyone rolls that check simultaneously and 2+ of you (for this mission) need to succeed. I’ll allocate rerolls based on failure, prioritizing the people who actually have Explore to speak of. :)

OK, that’s all I meant, re-roll the Explore=4 folks, not the Explore=1 :)

Yeah, I’m definitely onboard with that bribe and the reputation shifts further into super righteousness/rebelliousness.

Okay, updated gold for bribing.

Mission rolls:
Cheya needs 4 w/ -3 bonus: 3 (6-3). Success
Akbar needs 1 w/ -3 bonus: 7 (10-3) Failure
Orion needs 3 w/ -3 bonus: 1 (3-3) Critical Success
Chimminy needs 4 w/ -3 bonus: 1 (3-3) Critical Success

Rewards: You move 1 point towards Tarri. You are not aligned with Tarri, so you do not get gold.
Everyone gets two Power Up cards. We search for and play (one, since it’s not “for each”) the first Discovery card.

Discovery:

Um. I’m not really sure where to put this since you aren’t at a specific hex. I guess over a Desert Mission Location? The only ones on the boards are on Quadrant A, C and D… (the savannah in Quadrant D is technically Desert), so, up to you. You won’t actually be there long enough to enter though, I don’t think.

Power Ups:
Cheya:
20210520234145_1
Akbar:
20210520234157_1
Orion:

Chimminy:

That is…a very nice set of powerups.

There don’t seem to be specific rules for placing Crystal Towers because of Caravan Events, Imprisonment, etc, so I did it like placing the Ravager. Here’s the result:

Next event:

This is our last caravan event, correct?

Correct.

OK, I’d say put the Tomb in Phorora’s quadrant, since we’re likely to head that way at some point.

Looks like Orion and Chiminy are our best bets for this last event. I think we should just muscle through it and not skip it.

Agreed! Also awake at 6 am good lord no