[Play by Post] Better Angels - No Soul Left Behind

I’m sorry guys :(

I’m also ok with you being the roll master if that’s what you want @malkav11.

Remember that social attacks are not a “you get a set, you win” proposition. You’re moving or removing one point from a stat when it might take several to get what you want. They have the option to give in, but it’s not the point of the move.

Hey, I can only do so much. I’m a talker, not a fighter. If he needs further persuasion, I’m sure others can be amenable to that.

I’m just going to be pointing big shiny fingers at him and speaking with a voice that echoes to the origins of the Earth. If he doesn’t listen yet, I’ll just keep poking him until he does.

My point being that there’s room for others to contribute to the effort. :)

I’ll keep holding him then.

Maria Romero @Madmarcus invoked

Maria feels the glory seeping into her. She might be drinking too much of this power, and she might be realizing there might be something wrong about its source, but right now she won’t stop.

You know there are no lies here but those you are telling yourself.

Rolling Devious Nurture with Glory bonus, targeting Cunning. 

Calming the Headless Headsman: 6d10 no sets

Nah, no need at all. You’re doing fine.

Alex @Juan_Raigada

Alex floats over toward the Headsman.

“Look, I don’t know who killed your friends, what a shepherd has to do with any of this, or why this stupid voice in my head keeps droning on about drinking your life, but maybe we should get the hell out of here before anyone else gets hurt and we can figure it all out together.”

Jose @arrendek Lou active

With a grimace Jose lets go of the Alliterative Avenger’s shoulder. Seeing that the others are all focused on the Headsman he looks around the room before settling on the hole behind the Headsman.

They’ve got him. The Avenger couldn’t see anything but something scared the Headsman and destroyed the building. I wonder if it’s still there?

With that thought he moves out towards the source of the explosion.

I have no idea how long a set of actions is so just tell me if I can still act when I get outside.

It varies depending on the scale of the action (basically, depending on how much I want to drill down) but right now, a few seconds-ish, like a combat round in games like D&D. And the hole is blocked by debris, which is why the crowd didn’t flee that way.

Sorry, but you can’t actually target Strategies. You target a Tactic, and if it’s empty or you get a lot of Width, then you hit the Strategy above that Tactic.

Ok, I figured that the Headsman came back through so there should be room for a lanky teenager. For that matter I figured that the crowd was just running away from explosions even if they might have been able to leave that way.

No, he was coming in from the direction everyone was fleeing in, not the hole in the gym wall towards the explosion.

Cool, good to know. Moot point as I got no sets anyway…

Oops. I hadn’t realized that.

Jose @arrendek active

After a glance at the rubble filled hole Jose moves to see if he can help get the crowd through out more effectively.

No use of powers and no real expectation of being very effective

You know what I keep forgetting to do? Roll last round’s collateral damage. As I say, please feel free to adjust your action if you want to respond to the results:

1 die for Headsman using Dominator Strike
1 die for Brad using That Hideous Strength
1 die for Brad using Flame-Wreathed
1 die for at least a dozen people
1 die for at least fifty people

Collateral Damage: http://orokos.com/roll/473066
3x6
Minor injuries to six people. In this case, in the panic a couple of the students have been knocked down and stepped on by fleeing people (but the crowd then broke around them as they realized), one student got clonked in the shoulder by a bit of the ceiling that took one of those electric blasts, and the gym teacher and a senior got a little too close to Brad on the way by and have first degree burns on the nearest bit of their body. (First degree are the least serious, in case anyone gets confused about that the way I sometimes do.)

Looks like we’ve got
Brad proposing to continue grappling the Headsman
Thomas trying to convince the Headsman to calm the fuck down (w/ effective 2x12)
Maria also trying to calm him down (but getting no sets)
Alex trying to talk him into leaving with him.
and Jose trying to guide the crowd.

Do we want to go ahead w/ me as master of rolls? I don’t think we got a consensus on that. I don’t really mind either way but I know sometimes people prefer to be master of their own fate. :)

Works for me

Yes. 5

Go for it.

No problem for me.

I’m going to have Jose’s guidance knock the “size of crowd” dice off the end of round collateral damage roll, no roll necessary for Jose.

I’m figuring Brad’s defense roll will be roughly the same except without the surprise bonus - let me know if you’d like to reallocate the Advantage but hopefully it won’t matter too much. Also, I just noticed that your set’s height has to beat his Open to do anything (not that this has been an issue), and if it also beats his Cowardice, he’s stuck in place. So:
Brad (grappling): http://orokos.com/roll/473798 - 3x6 (w/ advantage), 2x5 + 1 point of Courage slide from Flame-Wreathed

Alex - here is my best guess at your turn, but since there are some options here please let me know if it clashes too badly: Devious Nurture or maybe Devious Honesty, which are the same pool (your pitch doesn’t say Corruption to me, but if you’d like to rephrase you’d get a better pool for that approach) w/ +1 Dark Ritual bonus applied to add a die since you’re only at a 3 without it, targetting Espionage.
Alex: (convincing): http://orokos.com/roll/473799 2x9

Thomas - assuming here you’re targetting Espionage also for coordinated effect: 2x12 Note that this isn’t actually a guaranteed success - it can’t be hit with Gobble Dice, but you could still take a physical hit and have your set ruined that way.

Maria is trying talking but got no sets.

The Headsman is going to take his giant scissorshead (if I’ve described like, emoting or looks in his eyes it’s because I forgot he had this) and try and chop Brad up. Open Cruelty + 3 point weapon bonus that’s all going into Width:
http://orokos.com/roll/473800 5x7, minus 1 die, so 4x7

Collateral damage:
+1 for Hell’s Engine (not specified in the rules, but I think it should count)
+1 for That Hideous Strength
+1 for Flame-Wreathed
http://orokos.com/roll/473804 no sets

All
Jose gets to his feet, still feeling a little strange from the new power coursing through him, noticing that his palm is covered in the Avenger’s blood. Seeing the chaos of screaming people fleeing the superpowered struggle ahead, he moves to help establish some sort of order. And frankly, nobody’s much inclined to argue with anyone who seems to have an actual plan, at this stage.

The flaming police officer tries to bind the berserk Headless Headsman from future attacks…only to get a savage slashing clamp of those giant, blood dripping scissors across one of his flaming arms. He cries out in pain, flesh and muscle tearing under the blades, a hiss of superheated blood dropping across the gymnasium tiles. Brad, just erase a dot of Courage. You lose a die from your set but it doesn't stop your defense from working.

The Headsman gives another savage shake of his head and then, as arguments as to why he should stop his rampage roll in from all sides, he gradually seems to realize how badly injured he is, and how even now contact with the flames surrounding Brad is burning him further. He shudders, and says, “Very well. I…I am badly injured. I am not convinced you are not my foes, but staying here will profit me not.” His scissorshead closes, still dripping blood, and the lightning fades. “If you will allow, I shall depart. If you do not.” He shrugs a little, then winces as it pulls at an injury. “We shall have to exchange further blows, I suppose. I will not be taken.”