Playdate, a handheld console with a crank controller

Okay, that’s the first time I’ve found AR useful other than when hunting Pokemon. Nice.

I’m intrigued. It’s not that expensive, it’s cute, and it sounds like they have some creative folks behind the games.

Panic being assholes:

http://www.nathalielawhead.com/candybox/playdate-the-la-zine-fest-weird-games-and-what-it-means-for-playdate-to-lose-its-name

I hope it was a misunderstanding. I’ve been aware of Panic for years and assholes is never how I’d describe them.

They best be careful as the CBS backed Giant Bomb has been using playdate in relation to video games for some time.

Panic has backed off a bit.

Cabel seems to have had entirely good intentions. Glad this seems cleared up both publicly and behind the scenes.

I’m not dunking on the word “walking sim”

No no, please do dunk on ‘walking sim’, it’s the worst.

I think I like the idea of this thing, more than I’d ever actually use it. Seems primed to be one of those dumb things you impulse buy, gawk at for a while when it arrives at your house, and then rarely actually pick up and use after that. Though saying that, I’ll openly acknowledge that I’m not someone who takes a bus or subway to work, and thus has a bunch of prime time to burn on something like this.

Looks like a well made gizmo though, and I like the clean look of it. Chances are I’ll buy one, because I’m one of those people, haha.

Welp, there goes the name I registered for my app that helps parents find friends and activities for their toddlers in their local area.

Didn’t realize it would also be used by a Queer games showcase AND a Tiger Electronics handheld.

If you can handle Gruber, he has the Panic guys responsible for the Playdate on this weeks Talk Show.

https://daringfireball.net/thetalkshow/2019/05/30/ep-252

I was curious if this was still happening… It’s affected by the quarantine, like everything else, but they’re still cranking on it. Lots of updates at https://twitter.com/playdate

Announcing so early was a detriment to it. People forgot about it and this didn’t help.

Not really, they’re actively getting a ton of developers for it. Impossible to do without announcing early.

Sure, but they got a ton of press them and now no one has mentioned it for a year. Where is the excitement from people who might buy it? There isn’t any from what I gave seen.

I mean, they got attention when they wanted attention, they got developers interested when they needed them, they’ve gone quiet since they have nothing to say.

I’m sure they can easily get attention again once they have something notable to say.

Did they? I don’t know, but I haven’t seen even a mention of it since last year. That might be my ignorance though.

Yeah it’s right there in the twitter feed linked above

Wow. I’d forgotten this existed. It seemed quirky / cool at the time, but it also seems like an eternity ago given the current climate.

I just looked Playdate up a couple weeks ago to make sure the project wasn’t dead. At the risk of sounding very old, they should be periodically emailing subscribers, not just tweeting.