PlayStation 5

It’s not. Supposedly it was coming this fall, but since Death Stranding was also ready then, it got pushed to very early in 2020.

Dreams is out in early access. Medieval is Sept. Concrete Genie is summer, I think.

Holiday 2020, some great details revealed.

• SSD (known, but worth reiterating)
  • Hardware level Ray-Tracing
  • Improved haptics on the controller, allow for things like increasing tension on the triggers to simulate drawing a bow.

The interview goes on to talk about how having very fast loading levels changes game design - no more needing to slow the players progress down for a bit behind a door they have to fiddle with, for example, while the geometry behind the door is loaded. With this and XBOX new console having SSD’s (and many gaming PC’s with them now as well) it will be interesting to see how games change in the coming years.

Hey nice, they’re getting a 4K Blu-ray player. I’m happy to see that, since the PS4 Pro didn’t have one and they pretended no one wanted one.

Outstanding - I missed that, but it’s big news as I still don’t have a 4K player and kind of wanted one.

I agree this is super cool, but I have a feeling we won’t see true changes for a couple years since devs will have to create XBONE and PS4 versions of their games during the transition.

I mean, if it’s anything like PC games, developers will just overload shit over time so that the benefits of the faster thing is lost, and we’ll have to wait for more shit to be loaded behind doors. But it will be much more high res shit than the shit that was loaded slowly behind doors five years before.

Hardware is a bit like “stronger characters with more damage face bigger monsters/more hitpoints” in D&D. We get fancier hardware, then developers just throw in more bells and whistles to make us wait as long as we waited with the slower hardware. (No, I’m not talking about 30 minute loads off of cassette tapes).

Should I … just run off your lawn, or is it cool if I take my time and slowly walk off your lawn? :)

You made me laugh this morning. Thank you. :)

Jim Gordon: What about escalation?

Batman: Escalation?

Jim Gordon: We start carrying semi-automatics, they buy automatics. We start wearing Kevlar, they buy armor piercing rounds.

Maybe not, since both Sony and MS are making noise about having complete backward compatibility with this gen in the new consoles. I remain anxious to see if Sony will get ambitious and add older console back compat as well.

So has 100% backward compatibility with PS4 games been confirmed?

I never buy a console at release, but I would if that is the case.

Backwards compatibility has been confirmed, though they haven’t committed to 100% - probably hedging their bets in case some weird peripheral game has issues. There’s also been no commitment either way on BC for PS1, 2, and 3.

LOL awesome! :)

Yeah, Mark Cerny confirmed the PS4 backward compatibility. No official word beyond that.

The bigger question is if they have forward compatibility. Can you put a PS5 game into a PS4 and play it, just on lower settings? Gonna guess no, but who knows these days.

I’ll guess that the controller will be the hangup there. With PS Now and similar streaming tech, there’s no reason why you can’t play a PS5 game on your PS4… or your PC, or Chromebook, or mobile phone, etc etc

Zero chance of forward compatibility. I fully expect the PS5 to be essentially a PS4 with faster/better hardware, like a PC upgrade, and those much higher specs means forward compatibility would be like running battlefield 5 on an 8 year old low-level gaming PC. Technically doable, sure, but not the experience you’re looking for.

Changing the name to PS5 or Xbox Two or whatever signifies you’re breaking forwards compatibility.

I found the line about data being duplicated hundreds of times on the PS4 magnetic hard drive to compensate for high seek times to be fascinating.

This is done by the title itself. It’s to accommodate data streaming. You see it a lot in how open world titles organize themselves in a data tree. For example, zones will have diff\shared data from adjacent zones placed physically nearby in the packages; those nearby zones have the same data diffs\shared pools located near them. So you could get (for example) structures on the edge of a zone repeated in the data for every zone that edge is near and could potentially get loaded from based on player movement through the world. I’ve seen programmers discuss it, and then I probably blacked out so I don’t remember most of the details.

Right, I totally get why it’s done, I just had no idea that was a thing.

I’m tempted with this too. I mean I use my console for more than just playing games anyway, so having a PS4 and a PS5 could be wortwhile for as long a they support the PS4 too.