PlayStation 5

Borderlands 3 downloads both PS4 and PS5 versions. Once you have transferred a single character to the PS5 version (it only allows you to migrate one - sad) you can delete the PS4 files. Frees up ~80GB. Sony do need to change the UI to better highlight the PS4/PS5 versions of games.

edit: apparently 2K support said that after auto saving in game with one you should be able to bring over another and so forth. Not the smoothest way to migrate characters…

Sony isn’t making games exclusive to a distant third place console…

There’s a bit of new footage of Reternal in the latest Housemarque video blog and it’s looking real good

Yeah, I’m pretty excited for that. Their games have always resonated with me.

Something I really like is the share button stuff. It’s so easy to grab a quick 30 second clip now. The clips look amazing, too. One thing to watch out for is when you get trophies it will save a short clip. Once I was done with Astro, it had eaten up about 3GB (I think… might’ve been 6?) of space on the drive. I deleted all that stuff to reclaim space. Just something to keep an eye on if you notice space disappearing.

Streaming has been a bit problematic for @Mike_Cathcart and I. We had to turn off HDCP so it would allow it. I haven’t tried it again since the update though so maybe that’s fixed?

Yesterday I switched from my disc version of Battlefield 1 to the PS Plus Collection version. I already owned all the DLC, but I had to delete the installed disc version and then install the download version. Apparently they handle disc and download as essentially different SKUs in the system. It was like this on PS4 too IIRC. Since I’m getting older and lazier, I didn’t want to have to swap discs with Modern Warfare which I play every day when I get a hankering for some BF1. Battlefield V is on sale right now too (and has HDR/Locked 60fps support on PS5) for $11.99 so I made a rare purchase like that to get digital and have to do the same thing to change from disc to digital.

I’m still really glad I bought the disc system as I own a lot of games on discs that I’m never going to replace with digital so anytime I want to dig into the library I can. I also know that disc games will often have steeper discounts earlier on PS5 than digital as that’s always been a thing and likely won’t change. I am definitely buying digital on day one games I want to play on PS5 though like Cold War. It’s just more convenient.

How popular is the console in the UK? Well enough for delivery people or maybe Amazon workers to switch out the consoles for random stuff.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-20-amazon-playstation-5-customers-report-receiving-toys-kitchen-appliances-instead

Wow, the first dude even got a (nerf) gun to shoot himself with!

Weird FYI: I filled out the form online to request a PSVR camera adapter. Got an email response that day, 11/5, saying they received the request and would contact me about the status of my request.

Today, two weeks later, with no other communication, FedEx delivers a small envelope with my address but someone else’s name. Almost went crawling through social media looking to see if it was a neighbor who ordered something and transposed a digit in the address or something, when I realized it was from “SIE LLC”, which googling quickly revealed was—duh—Sony. Realized from the shape of the object in the envelope it must be the adapter, opened it up and confirmed.

I hope I don’t actually have a neighbor with this name who’s wondering where their PSVR camera is.

Good new for anyone that cares about it.

That’s a key add.

Yes, glad that it is coming, though the mention of “supported titles” isn’t ideal. Ideally it would work in anything with an uncapped frame rate, since if developers have to manually patch in support, many of them won’t.

Wow nice! Now if only we could get a PS5.

And a TV that supports it, which I’m not even sure mine does. But hey, it’s a good feature regardless.

I wouldn’t worry too much. It’s the same legalese they use to talk about 3D audio working with “supported” headphones, which in practice is any stereo headset.

Are there ever any PS5 inventory drops on the weekend?

Just saw this today too. Awesome!

There was a Best Buy drop this morning, except it was only for in store pickup. Everything on the eastern seaboard was unavailable but I did manage to reserve a pickup in a disk version in Little Rock for this Friday. Luckily I have a buddy who lives there who can pick it up and ship it to me.

I didn’t even realize Steam would need to update for the DS5 but it makes sense. I tried attaching my DS5 controller to my Shield TV and all the buttons were borked.

So nice update, especially since I use the DS4 for PC gaming exclusively. Don’t really see that changing to the DS5 though, I very slightly prefer the 4 to the new controller because it’s a bit smaller.

Deep Dive on the thermals. The cpu/gpu seem good (Gamers Nexus is notoriously reluctant to outright praise anything) except for the memory chips which are quite concerning, hitting 90+. They do note that Sony could probably add in a single contact pad and fix the problem though, nothing major would need to change.

I wonder how much of the supply issue is covid related.

I discovered something I didn’t know about with regard to Performance and Resolution modes today. You have to set your preference in the System settings under Saved Data and Game/App Settings or it will default to the game’s choice for you. With Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War that meant I was running in Resolution mode by default and to get the 120Hz Performance mode enabled I had to set it specifically in the System’s settings for it to take effect.

Fortunately, Black Ops tells you this on the Graphics screen or I would not have known this is something I can (and may often have to) muck with in the System’s options. If you let the game choose, you actually may not get a choice. Now depending on the game, that may not be much of a choice, but for some games it definitely is something you’d want to mess with. For now I’m leaving it on Performance, but I can easily see some times I’d want to choose the opposite.

And yes, my TV supports 120Hz modes. Samsung Q70R.