PlayStation 5

Demon’s Souls. It is drop dead gorgeous, the controller feedback is sublime. Just be prepared to die a lot.

This is exactly what I did. The original campaign is fabulous but I was ready for it to be done by the end of it. I’ll get back to Miles after a bit.

Isn’t that just a remaster of the old torture devi… I mean, the old game?

Yes… but if even “I” can do it, Mr. Sucks-a-lot, you could too :)

Plus if anyone ended needing help, I could hop in to offer a hand for tough fights. I’d jsut have to get my practice on since I haven’t played since winter.

Remaster sells the game short. It’s a complete remake with cutting edge visuals.

I couldn’t really get into Dark Souls on the 360/X1, so if I ever check out Demon’s Souls, it’ll be in a future where it’s heavily discounted or a PS+ offering. :)

I am almost 100% certain that I will not buy a PS5 this year, due to availability and because I got the Series S meanwhile. But Demon’s Souls is my absolute favourite game of the Souls series. I would love to play it with updated gfx, but I can’t justify to buy another new console just for one or two games (Returnal)… anyways, all theoretical because not available. Also I buy all my consoles just by walking into a store and grabbing one. I think I never bought a console online… It is very enjoyable that way.

I am loving the early parts of Demon Souls, which reminds me of the early parts of Dark Souls. I’m certainly a much better player now, having been through DaS1, DaS2, and Bloodborne. Which doesn’t mean I don’t suck, but I suck less. The visuals are outstanding and the speed at which the PS5 loads makes all the dying while running to get across bridges slightly more forgivable.

Speaking of which, the speed at which the PS5 loads. Wow. Not just games, but boot time in general reminds me of the old cartridge days where I could be playing a game in seconds. That’s by far the early win for me with my PS5, as much if not more than any visuals. I’m dying to see how fast RDR2 and Witcher 3 load, two notoriously long-loading games. But I have done the new-console-get-too-many-games-going-at-once thing I always do, so I’m going to hold off until I get Hitman 3, Tennis World Tour 2, F1 2021, or the aforementioned DS, off my plate.

It’ll be in PS+ someday but I suspect that’s a couple to four years from now. They did give away the original on PS+ on PS3 eventually.

Got it, set it up… Just some general impressions from Day 1:

• First PlayStation controllers I’ve actually liked. Still prefer the Xbox controller overall, but these are solid, nice, and for once have a comfortable shape. Nicely done, Sony. 3D printed a controller holder/charging station.

• UX is nice overall. Still not a fan of music on a console home screen but I understand the thinking behind it, and it’s easily turned off. A nice evolution of the PS3/PS4 interfaces, and more easy to navigate.

• Setup took a while, but I appreciated how automated the transfer was. The Xbox supports this stuff, but it’s buried in the settings menu there. Nice how Sony walks you through it.

• The differentiation of PS4/PS5 content needs to be a lot clearer. I wasn’t really sure if I was installing the right version of Miles Morales. I like how Microsoft handles the generational upgrade much better, with the majority of games just enhanced automatically if they’ve been updated and X|S-specific titles really only existing when a company wants to specifically sell you a $10 more expensive SKU.

• Speaking of which, thank you so much for pointing out where to find the Spider-Man upgrade, @Brad_Grenz! I’m not sure it would have ever occurred to me to look there. Saved me unnecessarily redownloading the PS4 version.

• The PS Plus collection is awesome! Uncharted 4 and Infamous Second Son were among the titles I had on disc (I have the Digital PS5), so was happy to find digital entitlements for those! Do the games stay in there permanently if you’re a PS+ member, or do they rotate out? (Wondering if I need to prioritize finally going back and finishing those.) I think the only disc games I’ll lose are No Man’s Sky (I have the better PC version anyway), Tetris Effect (I have on it on Xbox and Oculus) and Persona 5 (couldn’t get into it).

• I liked the offer to install the video apps on setup. But where’s Paramount+? It’s on all of my other streaming devices including my Xbox Series X and my TV set, and is a weird omission for a device aimed at nerds.

• This thing is STUPID big. I had to put it behind the end table because it was too tall to fit next to the XSX. Forget the “Slim,” Sony needs to do a “PS5 Shorty.”

• WHY DID NOBODY EVER TELL ME THEY RE-RELEASED WAR OF THE MONSTERS ON PS4 5 YEARS AGO? My son and I played the PS2 version back when he was first getting into gaming! Now he’s 18 and I just bought it on sale at half price and I’ll probably spend more time playing that this week with him than any PS5 titles.

Looking forward to finally playing through all those PS4 games I never got to, which was most of them, since I was playing Xbox and PC stuff for the day job.

Anyway, time to go list the PS4 Pro for sale and enjoy the fact that my backlog has grown by another platform. :)

The current beta firmware largely solves this.

Once you’ve claimed them they are yours as long as you subscribe. No need to worry about them rotating out.

Nice! Thanks, Brad.

Just played way too much Spider-Man. I should probably go to bed.

Yeah that ps plus collection really has some of the best games of last generation. If someone is new to playstation or console gaming they will have an immediate must play backlog… All are highly recommended.

Totally agree with this. The PS5 controller is the best of this generation. The previous dual shocks felt like toys and I hated them. This one is excellent. It feels solid and has some weight, and fits my hands perfectly. And, the little audio chirps it makes in certain games are surprisingly nice.

The Dual Sense is pretty damn amazing. I hadn’t played anything with the Pro Controller on Switch in awhile but did last night and I have to say the Dual Sense is better, but only just, as far as comfort in hand. I really love the trigger weight stuff in Sony’s controller, tho.

Probably my favorite thing about it though is the tiny little triangle, X, O and squares that make up the texture of the back. Get out your magnifying glass!

I did this with the Xbox and Game pass 2 years ago after skipping a generation. Looking forward to doing the same for PS5 whenever I get one as I haven’t had one since PS3. Now just to find one… :)

Okay, what the heck? You can only update a controller if it’s plugged into the front USB port? I have a wireless headphone transmitter I want to be able to plug easily in/out of that port, so that’s lame. Was planning on leaving the controller charger cable plugged into a rear port. What a weird limitation.

Hey Brad, get this fixed, k? Thx!

EDIT: Sony’s support page says you can charge the controllers off any port, so must just be an issue with the updater software. Weird bug/quirk. At any rate, that’s cool, for general charging I can use the rear port.

Accessories are 10% off for 24 hours on the PS Direct site.

I picked up a red controller at a discount.

Horizon Zero Dawn and Assassins Creed Odyssey both got 60 FPS patches today when running on PS5.

I am almost there to buy the PS5 on ebay (new,sealed) for 400€+ 150€ (ebay-tax) … It is just not happening in retail. The urge is killing me. But I know that I will pay an effing scalper.