PlayStation 5

People giving shit? On the internet?! I’m shocked! :)

The SSD speed is huge, and they support fast enough standard PCIe4 nvme drives for expansion, so no need to pay the proprietary expansion tax!

LOL

Like, this explanation of data duplication in Spider-man is really interesting to me.

It’s good as a technical deep dive but as a console reveal what Sony is doing from a marketing perspective is a bit bizarre. This was supposed to be a GDC speech and you can totally tell.

So, I would have liked something a bit more powerful, but the specs appear to be a really good compromise and the price should undercut the XSX by as much as $100. The high clock speed of the GPU will offer certain advantages over the Xbox Series X, and the SSD speed is unquestionably better.

Yeah it looks like it’s a bit slower with the 10 v 12 Tflops but the word is the drive speed in the PS5 is almost twice as fast as the Series X, so it will be interesting to see if there’s more differentiation in games between the two consoles as they have different strengths.

Did they say anything about backward compatability with earlier PS generations or was this just a specs powerpoint presentation?

In the Graphics Vs. Load Times war, I’m siding with the SSD.

Nothing but PS4 is confirmed so far.

PS4 is supported as he talked about storing PS4 games on an external hard drive and saving the fast drive for PS5 games, but other than that not much.

Yeah, it looks like Sony’s goal all along was to make load times effectively disappear. Xbox only seems to have targeted making them much faster.

This is the most soothing presentation. Loving this as a pandemic break.

from the specs in the Eurogamer article
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-playstation-5-specs-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

Holy fuck, those numbers are bigger! I must have it!

The audio stuff was interesting.

They mentioned the top 100 for playtime PS4 games should work great, and still testing the rest. Nothing at all about earlier games or (hopefully) Vita.

Multiplatform developers usually end up aiming for the lowest common denominator in terms of targets, so I’m glad to see that the two consoles will be very close to each other.

Both consoles seem significantly stronger than PS4 and Xbone were relatively to their time of release. This is great.

No it isn’t. It’s custom RDNA2.

Heh, I deleted my post as you posted. I read it wrong.

No word on price yet right?