Podcasting? Share your experiences! Share your work!

Several months ago, I fell down the rabbit hole of working with audio, and I’m having a great time. In fact, it’s become an obsession/passion and I probably spend too much time doing it. I’m getting ready to start sharing my work (hopefully on a semi-regular basis) but outside of a few short clips that have aired on the radio in recent months, most of what I’ve created doesn’t have a home yet, as I’m still figuring out where I want it all to live and how I want to engage with the outside world.

Recently I got to wondering, what are other Qt3 audio enthusiasts or podcasters doing these days? Where can we find you? What do you love about what you’ve created and the experience of sharing it? What do you dislike? What have you learned?

Maybe we can also talk about platforms and technical stuff as well. Where is your work hosted? What’s your audience like? What kinds of tools do you use? Do you collaborate with others, and how has that process worked out for you?

Share your stuff! Discuss!

As for me, I have four large (57-minute) projects going, but they’re not live yet. One project is finished and pending acceptance by the host of an international podcast called Framework Radio (see below), and a second is undergoing review by a MetaFilter friend who very generously offered to give it a listen and provide feedback/criticism. The other big projects are still in development.

All four projects draw heavily from a personal collection of cassette tape and video8 recordings. Examples of content include such things as “tape letters” passed around among family members, original music performed by family, videos I recorded 1990s, and more.

(Oh, and I mentioned at the top of the thread that I have put out several small clips utilizing some of this archive – these ranged from 40 seconds to 2 minutes, and they aired on KFJC during its annual Fall Fundraiser.)

Here’s the formal description of my first long project that’s pending acceptance: In a 1980s cassette tape collection I was fortunate to acquire, my late, great uncle Bryan shares reel-to-reel recordings from the 1970s in which he and his sister, Junelle, played piano and sang songs and hymns from their younger days. These “tape letter” cassette tapes were passed around by various family members in the 1980s and in this selection, I have included a few clips of Bryan describing what he is sharing in addition to the songs and hymns performed by the brother and sister duo.

I -had- a podcast and have meant to write up some notes, so here’s as good a place as any…

I mentioned in another thread that I went to law school at 40+ as a second career, graduating this spring (and now passed the bar, yay!). So that meant that I started in fall of 2020, which was pandemic season and lots of things were being done by zoom that otherwise would have been done in person. I had previously gotten an M.S., and one of my favorite things in my first run through grad school there was a group of us that met once a week at a wings place to hold an informal journal club. Each week, someone would ‘assign’ a paper they had read recently and had found interesting, and because we worked for different professors it was a good way to broaden exposure to topic and techniques that were in field but outside our narrow thesis projects. It also was an excuse to socialize, etc.

Law school is -much- different than fisheries biology grad school. But going in, I was aware of law reviews, and thought they were similar in concept to the peer-reviewed papers we had been reading at the wings place. I also knew I wanted a similar experience, so made a proposal in the class-year group chat, and collected a group of people interested in reading and discussing law review articles. Mostly other older students, but we had a few participants who went to law school immediately after college. Since it was pandemic times, we’d have to meet by zoom, and it was trivial to record the discussions. And the next obvious step was to produce a pod …

Ultimately we published 25 episodes over our 1L year and first part of 2L (and I have a ‘reunion’ episode I need to finish producing), getting about 1.2k downloads while actively releasing. It can be found here: Law Review Squared | a podcast by Lex Clava

Practice notes:
Time spent
I spent about 1.5hr in prep for each episode before recording (but given the subject matter, part of that is needing to read a law review article quickly but with enough attention to detail to be able to discuss it.) Recording took around an hour. As ‘producer’ I did a first edit which took about an hour, and then my sound guy said he spent about 30 minutes once I sent him the rough edit to finish. So each episode took me 3.5 hrs, there was .5 hrs of technical labor, and I assume 2 hrs of participant labor for the ppl not involved in the back end process. That’s a lot of time by several people going into a 45 minute show.

Some episodes we invited the author of the article to come talk to us, instead of just talking amongst ourselves. That required additional pre-production coordination. Also, picking an article for the weeks where I was the moderator, required figuring out a topic and finding a relevant law review article, which varied from a few minutes to hours. (This is one of the more fun episodes, where we had gotten the author, who is a practicing attorney to come talk to us: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-aqvqb-ff6edb)

Tool chain
I think our audio results were fine (especially on the later episodes), even though we recorded using zoom. I used Audacity to remove misspeaks and dead air before sending the file for sound edit. The important thing that happened in the last edit is Mo would adjust levels so that we didn’t have some people being quieter than others. I’m not sure what software he was using. We moved files around by dropbox, which worked without issue.

Dead air
Removing dead air turned out to be a challenge… one of our early participants had a very slow and deliberate way of speaking. So in some of the early episodes, I cut time out of between-word pauses. In retrospect, this actually changed the cadence of her speech, which was disrespectful (although she never complained). However, between-segment/between-answer pauses did need to be cut… In a natural conversation, there are pauses while people think of how to respond, what to say next, etc. In listening to podcasts myself, I can tell when these dead-spaces are not removed, and I feel like the podcast is wasting my time. Removing dead air and misspeaks usually took a 1hr recording down to 45 minutes or so.

Hosting
We hosted with podbean, and I registered a domain. I don’t think registering a domain is strictly necessary, and I don’t think it affected downloads- but for the context of our show, having a domain made it easier to say in an interview, “I participate in a podcast, it can be found at lawreviewsquared dot com” rather than giving some crazy url.

I was satisfied with podbean. I paid for hosting to prevent ads. Some listeners still get ads which are being injected by their podcast listening software. These people will not believe that you aren’t putting the ads in/getting paid for the ads. Such people are annoying.

Eventually I’ll stop paying for hosting and the domain, but it doesn’t cost much.

Distribution
The above is what podbean is showing as far as listener clients (some data is lost from when we had started). I submitted the RSS feed pretty widely, and we were getting listeners from all the major podcast clients. Some people just submit their RSS to itunes, which gets you in front of most people, not so much because everyone uses Apple Podcasts but because their directory has been widely availble. I’m not up on what current distribution looks like. The green bar on the right is ‘other’.

Long tail
Our pod seems to have a long tail, we got 107 downloads this year, despite not releasing an episode since 2021:

Theme music
We didn’t have theme music, although it was occasionally suggested. I don’t think this hurt or helped us. We didn’t have music because I absolutely detest the music used by one of the other legal scholarship pods. Also, in thinking about the pods I do listen to, the only one where I actually like the music is Ken White’s 1st amendment podcast. This is just my speculation, but I think that theme music/intro music arrived into the podcast space from radio shows. But in a radio show, the radio station needs to let the listener know what they’re about to listen to. In a podcast, the listener has selected what they’re listening to, so they already know. Especially if the moderator/host/presenter doesn’t immediately start talking over the intro, all the music is doing is wasting the listener’s time. (Part of this line of thought is influenced by how I listen to podcasts-- usually during what was a 20-25 minute commute. If you’re playing a minute of music at me during that, often crappy music at that, you’re wasting my time, and time is what I’ve had least of in recent years).

Last thought
There is a lot of advice available on producing podcasts, but much of it is aimed at people trying to monetize their podcasts. There are other reasons to want to produce a podcast, and reaching a small but invested audience can be a success as well. (The PA Bar Association’s Family Law podcast is a good example in my opinion: Law in the Family on Apple Podcasts It’s also ok to just get something out there and improve over time-- a lot of the bigger long running podcasts go through significant improvements in quality (both in audio and content terms) over time as well.

Wow! Congrats! That’s huge. My father also changed careers (from being a librarian) and went to law school at around 40, and he went on to have a long, wildly successful, and satisfying career. I vividly remember how stressful school and studying for the Bar was for him. I was a teenager at the time and we only had each other. Sometimes it felt like I was living in a sitcom.

Since I don’t really have a publishing schedule yet (and I’m not collaborating with anyone), I have the luxury of spending more time on editing, but this sounds about right to me.

A lot of podcasters seem to use Zoom (I assume you mean the videoconferencing software). The KFJC production team (which I mentioned above) does something similar.

I use Audacity extensively and exclusively, and love it. Some KFJC contributors use other suites and tools.

I don’t do this in my personal audio production, but I believe it’s a very common practice.

I think I get what you’re saying here. My understanding is that the modern podcast has roots that go back to both radio and blogging (and maybe audiobook), and the music thing comes from radio for sure. Personally, I think music is essential for almost any kind of podcast.

I get my music and effects from a variety of sources, and freesound.org and archive.org are my favorite resources. I also make my own on occasion.

My podcast is a pretty simple operation:

• Use VoiceMeeter Banana as a mixer and WAV recorder
  • Use Discord as the chat service for our six co-hosts
  • Broadcast live via OBS; also record an MP4 file as a backup
  • Use Levelator to even out the levels on the WAV file
  • Use Audacity to trim file and add the ending
  • Self-host the MP3 files on my own server
  • Use the Blubrry Wordpress plugin to upload the post for the MP3, which adds it to the XML feed.

For a rickety mom-and-pop operation such as mine, it’s worked well for a decade now.

Uh.

Well, my podcast is recorded over discord. I keep an OBS mp4 for the recording to edit.

I used to record live in a studio with microphones through a mixer, but as the years have gone by and people have moved away, recording has moved online. Occasionally we do record live still, but that is rare.

I wish there was a good way to record each host separately and mix down, but most of the options are very expensive, or very clunky. Sharing 4 wav files is clunky, not to mention how digital audio is timed to the clock speed of your cpu, so recording a 1 hour 45 minute episode with syncing at beginning and end you can end up with 1-3 second differences between hosts. I got so frustrated I gave up.

I gave up on that and use discord and OBS to manage audio levels. With good mics, things sound 90% as good, so I haven’t bothered changing things.

I used to use levelator, but it is so hit or miss with quality I don’t trust it, especially with having 4 different microphones across the hosts.

Bought myself a Shure SM7B on sale with a cloud lifter and have really enjoyed the quality of that mic. Pricey but worth it imo.

I use audacity to modify the mp4 into a wav file, then move on to Adobe Audition 3 to edit. I have a copy I got in college and still use it. Adobe has tried to make this impossible, as they have broken the key authentication servers, but you can get around that.

Adobe has good audio leveling tools, noise reduction and a compressor.

I don’t edit much dead air or ums and ahs, but the vibe we go for is more laid back and conversational. I do edit things out, but not everything.

Use libsyn for distribution, which has been nothing short of bulletproof since 2011. Will be hitting episode 500 very soon.

For intro and outro music I had a friend create those for me. I edit in clips from the episode in the intro for fun.

Pateeon was good for a while and paid for hosting for a while, but that has dropped off.

I think that qt3 is a very different place than in 2011 but sharing my podcast on this site was one of the worst mental health times of my life. Absolutely shockingly mean, condescending things were said, and that really hurt me. You will have people who just want to be mean to you online, but you learn to tune out the negative and focus on the positive.

Biggest tip, Pete Holmes told me this, and I agree. Never miss a scheduled release, you will lose a drastic amount of listeners. This is very true. But my biggest tip, make sure you have fun doing it and are passionate, if you do that, your listeners will have fun listening to you.

Dang, Jon. Really sorry and kind of shocked to hear this! Still, 500 episodes is amazing, so those a-holes clearly don’t know anything.

Jon I’m sorry to hear this as well. I know it was a different place but still … we as a community can do better than that. That’s pretty horrible.

Periodically an old thread will get bumped, and while it’s kind of interesting from a historical perspective, I’m really happy I was not here back then. A whole bunch of people thought they were clever by being mean, but they were just assholes.

I mean, yeah, it is fine, ancient history. There was at least some constructive criticism mixed in, which was at least helpful to a degree.

Anyway, the key is, you are doing it for you, not for them. And if you are doing something that is interesting to you, people like you, will like it.

Jon, I’m also sorry to hear about your experience before. Also, 500 episodes! I can’t imagine putting out that much content. That’s amazing.

Maybe this is a good time for me to go ahead and share a shortened version of one of the longer pieces I’m working on. The full project is one-hour long, and I created this as a sort of teaser when I needed to test it with a small audience.

https://youtu.be/P02IFDgWXNA

I forgot about this thread but I’ll chime in here. A group of us started an RPG podcast, actual plays and discussion episodes. The three of us have varying setups. I do video work for a living, so I was quasi-able to justify getting a more pimped set up for tech stuff opting for a Rodecaster Pro 2 for my audio interface. The on-board audio processing is really good for a non-audio guy. While I tweaked the plug and play settings, I didn’t have to go crazy to get a sound I was happy with from a few different mics. One guy has a Rode NT-1 with a MOTU M2 interface, and the last guy uses a Blue Yeti USB mic. I will say the biggest advantage of my set up is simply having a reliable and quiet mute button. It saves me a lot of time cutting out coughs or whatever on my track. I wish I could force everyone to use a mute button reliably.

We use a paid level of Streamyard for recording. It lets you build a screen template but the main function we appreciate is the separate local recordings. I think the local recordings are 1080p video with audio embedded as well as a separate audio only file that I want to believe is slightly better quality. We usually have the three of us and often a shared screen. I also record local back ups of as much as possible locally on my computer using multiple OBS instances.

For editing, I pull those individual parts into Davinci Resolve for all video and audio editing. I use Premiere Pro in my day to day job, so it was nice to have an excuse to finally learn some Resolve and it covers everything we need so far. While we offer our stuff as audio only, we focus a lot on making sure the video holds up (we figured if we got the video down decently with solid audio, an audio only option seemed like an easy bonus by-product). For any virtual table top gameplay, I fall back on my locally recorded 1440p-ish resolution to make sure it’s as clear as we can muster with what we have.

For audio editing, I do it in Resolve as well, but mainly I’m just checking levels, removing coughs or bumps or lip smacks, etc so it’s not too complicated.

Here’s an example of an episode to see how it all comes together:

Appreciate this thread to see what other people are doing with this kind of thing.

Oh yeah 500th episode here.

We use OBS studio to record a discord call, and then I use Adobe audition to edit.