Polaris Sector

The smart pausing is honestly one of my favorite things about the game, along with the UI. Tell a ship to move somewhere, it’ll unpause the game, move, then pause again when it reaches its destination. It’s a little thing, but I love little things like that.

That actually sounds pretty great.

Nice - cant wait to get into this! I need a great game to sink my time into, that isn’t about shooting someone in the face!

Sadly, while the game itself looked somewhat enjoyable, the combat was atrocious, the UI a mess, with even the tutorial not working properly (Scrolling did not zoom in and out, and the game was waiting for that), its also an immense amount of clicking and micro management, which seems to pervade the game itself.

The ship building was one more where you have to fill up “areas” designated for various designs, which is so weird to me. Why not just use the excellent system in Moo2, where you can design ships so damn easily.

I asked for, and got a refund on this. A shame, because I havent found a clausewitch engine game yet I enjoy, and Moo4 looks to be a mess, where the design is now run by comittee (i.e. angry internet mobs deciding , leading to a mishmash of systems, instead of the DESIGNED one, so there isn’t really a 4x on the horizon Im looking forward too.

Sorry you didn’t like it, but what’s the clausewitch engine?

Clausewitz engine, the one used by Paradox for their latest batch of games (CK2, EUIV, HOI4, Stellaris).

What does that have to do with Polaris Sector?

Just speculating, but maybe he actually just means “games that advance in real time while you play” and not Clausewitz engine games in particular.

Except this has nothing to do with Paradox or the Clausewitz engine, so who knows what he’s talking about?

I think when Razgon says:

because I havent found a clausewitch engine game yet I enjoy

He means that he probably won’t like Stellaris either so isn’t that excited with anticipation for that title. That is, since Stellaris is being built in the Clausewitz engine he probably won’t like it since it will operate on the same design and UI principles of EUIV or CKII. Just citing several 4X titles on the horizon that don’t match his preferences.

That is how I read it.

-Todd

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, okay Todd and Scott, that makes sense, kinda.

NeuMoO ain’t actually terrible, Raz. It won’t light the world on fire, but it ain’t terrible.

Indeed - I was mentioning the upcoming 4x games, as mentioned earlier in this very thread, and that I wasn’t very positive about them.

Brian- It could be, but I just dislike the developers latest message about them “hearing the feedback, and wants to impelement massive changes based on it”. That never bodes well. I could be wrong, but I dont think so.

Yeah, that is a bit weird, admittedly. I think taking suggestions from the community is great, but never lose sight of your vision due to it.

While I’ve been watching the development of Stellaris with great interest, my computer doesn’t meet the minimum specs to run it.

Polaris Sector looks like it will run on my older rig, and the YouTube vids by Das, Commissar BRO and others makes me think this may be a good purchase for me. It looks like it minimizes the fiddly, click-click-click that I disliked in MOO 2 and has enough innovation to be interesting. I bought Star Ruler 2 but it isn’t my cup of tea.

Since it is the season in the States where candidates make promises that they can not keep, perhaps Bernie Sanders should change his campaign slogan to “A chicken in every pot and an Intel i3 2100 @ 3.1 Ghz in every PC.”

Cheers.

Keep us updated on how you like it!

What is your computer spec? I’m worried my computer might not be able to play Stellaris… and now you’ve gotten me even more worried. (I’m still using a Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.85Ghz + 4GB RAM)

The specs of my computer are
Processor: Intel Core i5 4300U @ 1.90 Ghz
Memory: Available physical memory 2.58 GB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics Family (it’s a Lenovo T440s Thinkpad)

From the Stellaris page on Steam the recommended specs are
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 850 @ 3.3 Ghz or Intel i3 2100 @ 3.1 Ghz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD HD 6850 / or Nvidia GTX 560TI, with 1024MB VRAM

When I tried Can You RUN it for Stellaris I got the “Sorry, your computer does not meet the minimum specifications required to run this product” diagnosis.

Now that I look at the Polaris Sector manual my computer may not be able to handle this game, either.

Ah well, it is springtime in Maine and I should be outside anyway.

Yeah, you seem to fall short in the RAM and graphics department. That said, I’ve been able to run many a game that I shouldn’t have been able to - Rome II with an integrated graphics card, for example. I also have no problems with games that require an I5 processor, despite the fact that I have an I3.

With Steam’s refund policy it might be worth your time to give it a shot anyway.

I have a new Dell XPS 13 and I often get the “sorry your computer cannot run this game” message even with very old games. I suspect this is because the minimum requirements list a dedicated graphics card even when the new integrated (I have iris 540) work perfectly well. Steam allows refunds now so I’ve basically been using that as a 2 hour demo to see if it will run on my pc.

On sale, 50% off at steam. Worth it?