Polaris Sector

It is out today. While Stellaris has grabbed much of the hype in the space 4x genre, Polaris Sector looks interesting.

The first review is in from eXplorimate. I find they are often over enthusiastic in their opinions but for what it is worth (http://explorminate.net/2016/03/22/polaris-sector-review/) they recommended the game. I am on the fence about buying it because I have been disappointed by most of the space 4x offerings in recent years. Plus I have yet to try Stardrive II after the latest patch.

Are there any first day takers beyond Brian Rubin?

I agree it looks interesting. It has the slow moving/stately WWII ship (with lasers) combat approach which has a nice feel to it. I’m curious to see the reviews rolling in.

My review series actually began yesterday but that’s okay y’all don’t have to watch it or anything I mean it’s cool…

Did you write anything up on it? I’m not much of a video watcher.

That eXplorminate review does have me straddling the fence. I rarely get that into ship design and tend to prefer turn based play. It does have some promising aspects to it though.

I’m actually have something written up on Friday to coincide with the last entry, it’s a new thing I’m gonna be trying as kind of a written review/summary.

Apologies, Brian. My workplace doesn’t deem your videos as work related. I’ll have to talk to IT about that, but I’ll at least catch it tonight. :)

'splain it to me like it’s Star Wars: If I already have GalCiv3 and have Stellaris on the horizon, what (if anything) in this game might make me reach for my wallet?

I’d love that.

On a related note, with my limited gaming time, Stellaris so close to release, and the current Polaris Sector price point, I find it hard to justify buying it right now, regardless of how many things it may get right. I’d need some serious convincing to change my mind, I suppose.

Yeah, it’s a tough time to be Polaris Sector, I tell ya. It’s a solid game with, I think, one of the best user interfaces I’ve seen in a game of this type, really great writing and lore for all the races, and challenging gameplay.

Polaris Sector, Stellaris, Master of Orion good time to be a space 4x gamer.

A little too good, I worry about stuff like Polaris Sector getting drowned by those other juggernauts, along with Endless Space 2 on the way soonish.

If the combat is as good as it looks in Polaris Sector, I think that could help it gather some buzz especially with all the complaining about combat in MoO so far.

Well, Im downloading, and with Easter Vacation starting tomorrow, I hopefully will get some gametime in soon as well. Thanks for telling me about this! :-)

The combat is pretty good, you definitely have more tactical options than you do in MoO, especially with proper use of fighters.

Please provide feedback if you get a chance, especially if you can compare it to contemporaries like Galciv 3. I’m happy to support 4X games but there’s so many coming all at once and I’ve been burned many times in the past. :)

Well, it helps that I’m not really interested in MoO at all. I’d rather have my 4X games trying to do their own thing.

If Polaris Sector was, say, $20, I’d buy it even with Stellaris this close. But $30+ is a bit too much for me at this point, considering I have Distant Worlds, Stardrive 2, Star Ruler 2 and other non-4X space games (like X Rebirth, Nexus, etc.) to play.

Oh crap, its singleplayer…I do like my 4x to be MP…:(

Nothing, based on my time with the Beta. It’s OK, but with Stellaris, Endless Space 2, MOO, and perhaps even Distanr Worlds 2 in the pipeline, I don’t see anything here to get excited about.

Yeah, this is a “wait until sale” looking kind of title thus far, but it will likely wind up in my library sooner or later.

Great feedback to hear, thanks.

I’m finding it hard to play turn based now after the magnificence of Distant Worlds, so this looks right up my alley. Thanks!