Poor Romero

I didn’t see it on the Underworld kickstarter-- which incidentally would be a great example of how you should write your pitch. And yet they clearly can’t make the game for $900k.

It shits me.

Can this game actually be made for only 700,000$?
A game like this couldn’t be made for only $700,000. We mentioned in the video that we’ve also been talking to partners who want to see a proven interest in game. If the Kickstarter funds they’ll provide the additional funding we need to complete the game.

In is direct opposition to the very rules of KS:

What should I consider when setting my funding goal?

Your funding goal should be the minimum amount of funds you need to complete your project and make and ship any rewards.

I don’t know why KS allow this. It’s bullshit. A creator that openly admits the goal of their KS is to attract angel investment is contravening the purpose of KS as they will be unable to deliver their project with the funds raised through KS alone.

I don’t care if a successful project attracts additional investment, but their pitch must be deliverable on the requested funds.

Eh, if that’s really against their policy they’d have to have cancelled many other kickstaters. It’s explicitly mentioned in some and quite obviously a fact of others.

It’s part of why many people have a skewed impression of how much a game costs to make, from so often seeing a kickstarter and assuming it’s the whole budget.

Well, at least that question is there in the FAQ now. It wasn’t there when the campaign was posted.

Why have a written policy, then?

If I have a project that costs 50 million but I have 49 million of my own dollars I’m going to use, I’m not forced to set the Kickstarter to 50 million am I?

I honestly don’t know, but that seems completely illogical to me. People set to the the amount of Kickstarter funds they need to allow the project to happen. And it’s also very clearly not how many kickstarter goal minimums have been set all along.

Random example of an extreme case: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/kingdom-come-deliverance-kickstarts-medieval-rpg-goodness

Instead, Warhorse is using the Kickstarter drive to prove to their private investor (Czech billionaire Zdenek Bakala) that fans actually care about a non-fantasy RPG. The drive’s funding goal is 10 percent of the game’s total budget.

“Our investor is strong and capable of funding the complete development of our project,” said Warhorse on the Kickstarter page. “But he does not follow the game industry very closely, and needs proof that publishers and marketers are wrong about our game - that you are indeed interested in a mature, medieval RPG that emphasizes freedom and authenticity.”

KS flying along? Maybe they just added this :)

You post what money you need to complete the game. If you have 49 million, and need 1, set it at 1. If you need 700k to attract an investor, That is good. But you should be upfront about it. And you better hope 700k will in fact attract an investor.

John Romero has made another new level for Doom.

He should make a level for his new game so we can see someone actually playing it

You know what drives me nuts about that site? Replace the freaking Squarespace favicon!!! Geez! Is it that difficult??

Pod: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-06-24-irish-game-development-poised-to-break-out

Interesting! Like most people, they went to Ireland for a quick visit (to write some report) and fell in love with the place ;)

I suppose it is still the tax haven that attracted Apple and everyone else.

Yep, the 12.5% corporate tax rate (compared to 39% in the US, 28% in Canada, and 20% in the UK) is incredibly attractive in a 1st world country where everybody speaks English.

Also the castles!

I dunno what the tax rate is in Scotland, but they’ve got the only thing I really need in my life. Ireland should, uh, do that.

Scotland’s corp tax is 20%, same as the rest of great britain. They actually do have the power to change that independently of england and wales, and they promised to drop it to 17%, but fairly recently reneged on that promise.

@Armando: Hope they include a lipitor in the box!

He announced his campaign at 8AM Pacific on the 25th, so we’re over 48 hours in, with just $119,000 banked and about $580,000 more to go. He’s gonna need the luck of the Irish.

Black room: out. Kickstarter cancelled