Portal Knights Megathread: I figure a title later

It’s like Diablo…if you could save your world state. Each player has one or many characters on their profile. The game world is a save state. So, I can play, level, and loot with someone local coop as they are doing the same on a second profile (on the same Switch). I can play alone or with them on later sessions. Each retains their gear and levels. The world save retains the world building along with storage chests.

It’s pretty slick. Sort of like a private MMO server in your pocket. It’s not as sexy if you want each character to be tied to each other’s power if one plays more than the other (which I do). That said, it would be easy to power craft a lower character (save level restricted items). And…it really is nice having this pocket MMO like experience complete with system clock running timed events.

My other half and I stayed up waaaay too long playing this together the other night. :)

Ok, thanks. Another question. If I like exploration, mining, and gathering, but not into base building and survival games (though the combat I saw in a couple of videos looked fine), would this work for me?

I’m not one of those guys that likes to spend hours on decorating a manicured castle block by hour killing block. You can just craft the crafting stations and some boxes in an open field of you like. Placement has no value. That said I did sort of get sucked into building a basic but with some walkways and a garden…

I never really got into the survival crafters so I can’t really compare. You don’t have hunger. The monsters seem fairly varied in attack styles from spinning turtles that launch water vortexes, to plague spewing mummies, to golems that break into smaller golems. I feel I am leveling faster than the worlds, but you get a lot of experience from farming materials. I might start an alt to gather so as to lower the exp gain on my main and to also offset outpacing my partner. That said, at level 12, the encounters remain tough and dying is a thing.

The combat is simple lock on and roll while attacking. It is sort of like Dark Souls, but no stamina.

Is it for you? I can’t say. I like combat in my games. I don’t like crafting much. Star dew valley is of zero interest to me. However, this one works; it sort of straddles the middle enough of each to be interesting. And portable MMO like qualities as coop is pretty neat. You can’t split the controller here though. You need two full controllers (two sticks for a single character control). I use the joycons along with a pro for multiplayer.

Cool. Thanks again. So if you make a new character on the same profile, it will share the world state? Do you have the option to start fresh on a new character w/o deleting data?

The characters are saved on a profile. You can have multiple per profile. The world is save on the machine or profile (not sure as everyone seemed to be able to start a game on the one I made). You can have multiple worlds.

An added bonus on the Switch is the rumble feedback. It give a solid thump when mining or in combat. Actually it’s a bit too intense on the rumble at times.