Portal. Steam? WTF?

I’m basing my thoughts on a survey with nearly 2 million unique results. What are you basing yours on?

They seem to be comparing it against the total population (304M), not just people with internet access of some kind (220M), which throws it off a bit. They also don’t define “subscriber”, so it’s not clear if it’s the same as how they’ve defined “user” or if a single subscriber could encompass multiple users. I’d expect it to be more than 20% (it jumps to 30% just adjusting for those that only have internet access at all), but I’m not sure by how much.

The definition of broadband differs across regions. In Europe for example a 256K line doesn’t count, indeed I’m not sure 512K does any more either.

I didn’t see anything on that page which clarified the measurement. The footnote only mentions ADSL for example, it doesn’t say whether all ADSL counts.

In fact, the method for counting broadband in the US is changing.

Just so I’m clear, you’re lecturing the guy who’s been here since 2003 on the acceptable way to post on QT3. Is that what you’re doing? I want to be clear on this, so I can know just how long I should keep laughing at you.

Oh come now, don’t quash the lad. QT3 hasn’t had a self appointed etiquette master in years. I’m looking forward to quite a bit of amusement from the ex cathedra declarations of proper posting style.

Hopefully there will be a style manual we can reference.

If ~EFG~ wants to get cracking, we can just append the manual to Unicorn’s wonderful FAQ. :)

Did I say on Qt3? I assumed this was a general common sense-ism aross the internet, otherwise it’s just postcount-pumping. Do you just browse around, looking for opportunities to remind me that I haven’t been here as long as some other people/threads? I want to be clear on this, so I can know just how long I should keep laughing at you.

PS. The guy who has been here since 2003, has dialup and doesn’t understand Steam, please.

EDIT: I don’t mean to pour fuel on a fire here with more content to parody or mock, but this assumption is not based on any kind of moral superiority, it’s more based on my experiences getting dumped on and others getting dumped on elsewhere on the tubes for multi-posts.

Fine, you’re both equally full of shit. Happy now?

Well we can’t have that. Obviously post counts correspond to e-peen size and everyone knows that pumping those is tacky. I congratulate you both on being able to so accurately perceive the shortcomings of others and to be so fearless about leaping into action to admonish the deficient.

Looking back on the pre-EFG internet now is akin to looking back upon my own childhood through the wiser eyes of adulthood. I can’t help but smile at my naive antics and wonder how I could have ever believed in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or separate replies to separate posters.

P.S. Any extra clarity gained in separating replies would be illusory and probably the odd hissing noise and furtive grunting from the postpump anyway.

Last time I help you out with links to custom mug-making websites.

Jerk.

Don’t worry, the first time always stings. Once the crying stops, and you’ve had a few showers, you’ll come to terms with feeling so hollow and violated.

I promise to still respect you in the morning.

But I’ll kill you if you tell anyone about us.

I’m moving out and going to live with my family. Don’t call me.

Well, he’s got you there, quat.

He didn’t purchase or expect to use a service. I can understand the complaint, but I still think downloading STEAM over dial-up sucks less than SecuROM.

I didn’t know there was such a thing until I read this and looked for it. Hah.

I’m with you, Lloyd. You bought a DVD, you want to install and play it. Frankly, if you don’t have a fast internet connection, Steam is a waste. I’d return the game to the retail shop you bought it from, frankly. Valve should sell stand alone games that don’t require a high speed connection if they are going to sell things in retail shops.

I had the same annoyance bordering on homicidal mania when Half Life 2 was released and I had to install Steam.

What??? I bought this damn game, now I have to install this Steam thing and it’s taking HOURS! Stupid!

What they ought to do is have Steam detect/ask if you’re using dialup on installation, and if so, ask if they’d like the autoupdating set to on or off as default. Then poor Lloyd wouldn’t have had any problems.

I think the updates to Steam itself are mandatory (but if they aren’t then the following applies as well), but can’t Lloyd just cancel the update on Portal, order the computer to stop updating Portal, move to offline mode, and then just play Portal?

This discussion reminds me of someone who discovered Half-Life 2 was on DVD. Boy, was he pissed at having to replace his CD-ROM drive.

I’m disappointed nobody pointed out the awesomeness of a person named Cat Master posting that particular gif. :(