Portal. Steam? WTF?

It’s just a retread of one thing that has been discussed before, and not since 2005.

speak for yourself, but it seems like every thread eventually contains a few posts about the benefits/downfalls of steam. (i’m guilty of this too)

My posting here long predated the existance of the multiquote function. I guess I’ve never used it much due to force of habit. With 1700 posts in five years, I’m not exactly trying to build a post count, that is a month for some people.

If I’ve never used it, how was I to know? Had heard it was an interesting puzzle game but never had interest in the bundle. I thought it was worth $9 to buy without needing “research”.

The multi quote function? Open each quote response in a new tab and copy paste the quotes into one post. I’ve never used the multi-quote function.

Hypnotic!

Probably also from old usenet habits of responding to each post separately…

I love it.

Seems to me the problem isn’t so much that Steam exists, it’s that Lloyd is still using a tin can and a string to connect to the internet. On broadband it would have updated so fast you probably wouldn’t have had time to complain.

Unfortunately broadband as a prerequisite to play single player games is a bit pants for a lot of people for a number of reasons.

Fortunately there are still enough games that don’t require this so i’m not too concerned about Valve and their products.

Haha, I was going to ask the same question.

Yeah, I think that is where this will end up for me…

This is probably a bit late, and might be impractical for you, but if you had a friend with broadband, it would have certainly been worth it to just lug your PC over to his/her place, do the initial install there, and then go home. In fact, you could have just downloaded on their PC, copied the folders to a portable drive and then copied them to your PC at home, and most of the work would have been done.

Also, once you’ve downloaded everything, back it up. It makes reinstalls go MUCH faster,

girlfight

Well, there goes my productivity for the day. Now I’ve gotta stick around to find out who wins.

Look, it’s 2008, approximately 3% of Steam users are on dial-up. You may as well complain your Pentium III isn’t supported.

Steam stats don’t reflect the typical gamer’s hardware. Steam stats reflect the hardware of the gamers with hardware good enough to run Steam.

You can conclude that the average Steam gamer has a good enough system to use Steam, but that’s not much of a conclusion. What you can’t do is draw any conclusion about how many gamers (all gamers, not just Steam gamers) have Steam-friendly setups.

If you didn’t mean “you have a shitty setup”, and you just meant “look, your setup isn’t Steam-friendly”, (a) he already knows that now, (b) the dumb thing is it doesn’t tell you that on the box, before you buy it.

I don’t think Rose & Camellia has any DRM to speak of. On the other hand, it’s not terribly dial-up friendly either.

Lloyd, I understand your frustration with this issue, and Valve’s position is a bit inconvenient for people who don’t have the common hardware profile (i.e. a decent connection). But this got argued to death a few years ago and everyone has either made their peace with Steam or renounced Valve games forever.

Steam is hardly a demanding application. It’s using 16 MBs of RAM on my system right now and acts as a delivery mechanism for everything from Peggle to Crysis. If you have a PC built in the last 10 years it’s probably “STEAM friendly”. It may not run every game well, however. Still, I’d say it’s a pretty fair sample of the systems people use to play games.

Having a connection at home that’s “internet friendly”, well, that’s something else. You can get 256K DSL for like $15 a month these days. That’s like 5 times faster than dial up and well worth the extra $5-10 over bargain basement dial-up.

Can’t even get less than 1Mbit many places here. I think puny bandwidth is being phased out pretty much all over the world :)

It seems broadband is still barely over 20% of US internet connections.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/dsl.htm

Then again, gamers always need patches and driver updates, so gamers should be among the first to actually get broadband.