Precursors: Derek Smart is going to be mad

This actually looks like a really interesting way to waste my weekend. Once again, I hate you all.

I have finnaly adquired this game.

It feels like a 2008 Deus Ex in space. I kind of like it. Actually surprised wen I accidentally taken the wrong ship (a militar hovercopter?) and was able to drive around with it.

What I don’t like is how arcane and obsolete is the interface. Also, I have a horrible sound bug: almost all sounds mute, but some ambient ones.

The Russian sounds files will fix that bug…

I don’t find the UI bad. Not great, but not problematic at all.

OK, just to nail this down:

Is buying the Russian version of this game & adding the Wesp patch the best way to go?
Y/N

I don’t want to buy two versions of the game just to fix sound problems.

Believe that’s the smart thing, yes, but I didn’t do it that way :)

Here you go comrade…

http://yuplay.ru/story.php?title=Предтечи

Just finished this - super abrupt cliffhanger ending and a garbled final mission leave a bad final impression, which is a shame because in play it was a lot of fun.

This.

For $7.95 it’s definitely worth a worth a look. If it didn’t have this weirdly abrupt ending I’d say it was a good full price buy.

The smart thing is probably to let GOG get hold of it and patch it up for you.

I guess I should mention the version of Xenus 2(AKA White Gold) from GamersGate is shoddy merchandise too. Like that poorly worded post says, it’s the 1.0 version. B/C copy protection that checks for the disc was cluelessly included, you have to grab the exe off gamecopyworld just to play it. After that, there’s most of the sound cutting out after a while and you need to restart to bring it back, and some missions that were apparently fixed in the patch are borked, cause it’s the freaking 1.0 version.
As far as the game goes, it’s a great tech demo and has pretty good art direction(I’m a sucker for tropical locations), but the shooting is substandard and the missions are very rote. Hard to recommend in a world where Just Cause 2 already exists. You can dive under the water and explore the pretty ocean, don’t remember if you could do that in JC2.
Any advice on how to get the gamersgate release patched to 1.1 and running?

I hadn’t heard of these crazy east European open world games. I assume there are no demos. I don’t mind buying them to try them out. I love games from this region of the world, but I’m strangely not too excited about checking this out. Maybe it will hook me.

Precursors does actually have Stalker-ish moments. It’s kind of Stalker meets Borderlands. Ish. There are no demos but the Russian version is cheap. I’ve heard nothing good about White Gold, which seems like a straight Boiling Point remake/sequel. Can’t help thinking that doing a single title would have been smarter…

Wespe of Vampire Bloodlines patch fame, has put together an English language/bug fix patch for this game. See details at:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16701

If he’s involved in patching this, I may just pick it up. The player reviews on Gamersgate are generally favorable and the game looks interesting. I read a description of some of the quests that make them more than just Fed Ex types as so many are.

Picked this up yesterday (GamersGate version) and have put a few hours into it so far. After getting the Russian sounds and the Unofficial Patch 1.3 installed everything is working far better than I expected. The game hasn’t crashed to the desktop at all and everything so far (1st planet only) works as it should. Also, From reading the RPG Watch forums it sounds like Deep Shadows is working with Wesp to create an official patch for the English version.

Some random thoughts:
-The interface is usable, but slightly clunky and ugly.
-The missions so far are actually pretty interesting and often have multiple steps.
-The translation is insane but that only adds to the alien atmosphere.
-The shooting is a lot better once you treat it like playing STALKER with crappy weapons (CROUCH when using the assault rifle).
-Make sure to save often because situations can quickly get out of control and end in your demise.
-If you want to use a glitch to buy stuff from the merchants without paying this is possible.

Actually Deep Shadows is presumed dead, no one’s heard from them since the Russian version was released. That’s why the forums have moved to RPG Watch because no one knows how much longer the DS forums will be there. Everything is moving to RPGW. Wesp is working with GFI, the Russian publisher on the patch from what I’ve read.

Ok finally broke down and bought this and it’s pretty fun. It doesn’t do anything particularly great, part shooter, part RPG, part space sim, part driving game but the sum is greater than the parts. I’m using the GG version with the Russian voices and Wespe’s patch. One of those quirky, wonky Russian games but pretty fun.

http://www.beamdog.com/products/the-precursors-fan-improvement-pack

Just saw on RPS that Beamdog have actually packaged up the various improvements and have a proper entry for them on their site - seems like a super-helpful service.

Awesome. And the thing is 50% off to boot!

So this is on sale on GamersGate right now for $9. I’m thinking of taking the plunge, but I notice that the DRM is Starforce.

Does anyone know if Starforce is still the evil in binary form that it used to be years ago? I recently got a new machine and am enjoying it’s pristine state. I’d hate to mess that up due to some crappy DRM.

I bought it on GG, installed it - at the end of installation there was weird error regarding impossibility to write something into registry - I pressed ignore and installation finished. Started the game, activated it, played for 10 minutes, no problems so far.

But I have not applied any patches or anything - I suppose I should download language pack and patch 1.4 ?

I had the same error, but it ran fine too. And I installed the sound files and patch and I could hear my guns again. Yay!!