Prey: $5 on Steam

The problem with the Art Bell clips is that they simultaneously enhanced and detracted from the game. I loved hearing them but they were too long for the most part, and of course I had to stop and listen to the entire thing.

Hey guys, some of us are trying to get our $5 worth out of this, so could you please mark the spoilers? I know, not a big deal, but still…

I just picked up this baby, and I am going to test er out tonight!

Heard pretty good stuff so far, I loved the serious sam games, so repetitive combat has never been a big issue with me.

Hm. I didn’t want 20 more hours at that point. They were padding as it was.

In one maze-like part I saw what I thought was a bad guy at the end of a long hallway, just kind of standing still, looking off to the right, holding a gun… so I shot… myself. Yep, I shot at my own stupid head through a series of portals.

Maybe it’s Germany’s stupid laws about violence in videogames.

Prey was officially released in Germany.

-Julian

It looks like Steam currently doesn’t have European distribution rights (and/or willingness) for 2K, Atari and Rockstar. I guess I’m glad that I bought Max Payne 2 when I did.

Two weeks ago, I noticed on Steam that Bioshock had dropped in price to $29,95 for the US market, while the European market still had to deal with a $54,95 price. So I have a hunch that we wouldn’t have seen that Prey deal either.

Man, for once I’m one of the least cranky people in a thread. I enjoyed the game myself, 5 bucks is great for it. Pretty fun MP, some good moments in the game, and a passable enough storyline.

Also, the best use of Don’t Fear The Reaper in any video game.

Even better than in Gametek’s Ripper, on the grounds that it sounds kinda similar?

My favourite thing about the use of the song is that it’s not on the jukebox before the aliens arrive, meaning that their first invasion act is to upload a copy so that they can have a jamming soundtrack to abduct by.

Which I believe makes them the Coolest Aliens Ever.

I picked it up for $5 and played for a few hours. Seems fun so far, but the mouse control is driving me crazy. It’s like it just ignores small mouse movements. Even in the menus the mouse just behaves wrong. Is this just me? Is there some setting to make it behave like the mouse should and does in every other game and app on my machine?

I would broaden the category to Best Use of Blue Oyster Cult in any video game. This should be a category for next year’s Quarterlies. What if no game in that calendar year uses Blue Oyster Cult in a video game? The old winner continues to take the prize.

The jukebox in general is sort of odd - why did they pay for synchronization rights for those songs? I would assume it was expensive, if film rights are any guideline.

Most games have a sensitivity slider for the mouse; maybe you could try that?

Bruce

Thanks, but I’ve already tried the blazingly obvious. I’m not talking about the sensitivity. I mean that the responsiveness is just off. Small changes in either axis doesn’t register at all regardless of the sensitivity setting. If I move the mouse slowly it doesn’t move at all. If I’m moving at a slight diagonal to one axis it acts as if I’m moving along the axis. As if a change in position along one axis is ignored if the delta is under a certain threshold. This happens in the menus as well as in the game. I have the mouse smoothing turned all the way down in the options screen in case that was the cause.

Richard, not only that, but when you get back to the bar, the song still isn’t there! That means there are aliens going around blasting the signal at full fucking strength when they start invading. They don’t just give it to you, they brute force it into your ears.

I’m gonna make this statement right now, if I ever live in a post-apocolyptic world where I’m raiding shit, I’m going to play that song, full blast, on every frequency to jam all communications and freak my target the fuck out.

I agree. That was so badass. Also, I am about 3 hours in, and the game so far seems really cool. The engine still really holds up, and the gameplay seems pretty good, except for that the aliens seem to just stand there. The crazy gravity puzzles and effects, as well as interesting set pieces make up for it though, in my mind.

It got a little repetitive at the end, but yeah, I really enjoyed it, and the ship actually felt like, well, a ship. It’s a rare thing to say, but I felt like I was crawling around a growing, living ship that was constantly assimilating as I ran into things that were familiarish, or even running back into my bar. It wasn’t the best thing every by any means, but hey, I really had fun and that’s all that matters.

Ok, that was a great game. I just finished about 30 mins ago. I really enjoyed the game. The combat did get a bit repetitive at times, and it did feel a bit like a serious sam arena combat game at some points, but holy crow that story was actually pretty good. Now, some of the dialogue was a bit lame, and there were cliche’s abound, but heck if that wasn’t a fresh idea. I mean, native american stuff, living weapons, organic space-ship, gravity puzzles, very cool game. I would totally give it an 8.5/10. (maybe an 8/10) but heck that was enjoyable.

And SPOILER

The hole concept was very unique too. You kinda run around thinking you are being harvested, but it is not until you meet the keeper that you fully understand what that means… they made you, you wouldn’t even exist if it weren’t for them. Kind of a sweet epiphany moment. and… Art Bell.