Prince of Persia: Lost Crown - Sweet 2D Prince gameplay

I’m going to be there day one for this one. I loved the original two Prince of Persia games in the early 90s, and then Ubisoft’s rebooting of the series with Sands of Time. I even loved the improvements to the gameplay in Warrior Within. Two Thrones was a little too hard for me, so it’s the only one I haven’t finished. I loved the 2008 Reboot and the DLC, and I loved the Forgotten Sands game that returned to the Sands of Time universe and gameplay. Heck, I even played the XBLA title Prince of Persia Classic, which remade the original game, and I loved playing through that too.

So I’m pretty excited to see the series rebooted again. The 2D gameplay looks great.

This article has the relevant gameplay sequences from the Ubisoft Conference if you want to follow the link. Great stuff.

Going to the wikipedia page for Prince of Persia, it looks like there’s a couple of Prince of Persia games that came out for the Nintendo DS that I missed out on! Oh no! I bet they were great! Prince of Persia can do no wrong!

Oh yes, it’s currently scheduled for January 2024, barring any delays.

Seems like it might be a decent Metroidvania, but what they showed is absolutely not what I want from a PoP game.

This looks beautiful and also very hard.

Yeah, it reminds me a lot of Ori and the Will of the Wisp gameplay-wise. I’m fine with that, since I loved that game.

I think both Prince of Persia 2008 and Forgotten Sands were commercial failures, even though they were excellent, so it makes sense to try something new.

Hooray for a new 2D Prince of Persia. The 360 remake of the original is still really quite good (and currently on sale for $2.50 for Xbox Gold members). Unfortunately, the only remake PoP2: The Shadow and the Flame got was on mobile and those are gone.

Yeah, this doesn’t look like anything I associate with Prince of Persia.

I’m all for a 2D PoP, but this makes Warrior Within look like a walking simulator. Combat in a PoP game should be occasional and simple, if you ask me.

I thought this sounded interesting, so (edit: not reading @Vesper’s post above, clearly!) I checked xbdeals.net to see if it was still available, and not only is it, it’s on sale for $2.50! So I went to buy it and I already own it. Nice work, past me.

Yeah, looks great to me!

How in the hell did Prince of Persia Classic never come to PC??

360 era was PC gaming doldrums. Loads of console stuff didn’t get ported.

I just looked up my achievements in Prince of Persia Classic. I got 11/12.

The one I didn’t get was Survivor, which is to finish the game without dying in survival mode. Heh. That does seem like a tall order. No deaths at all? Wow.

Hrmph, this Classic has some seriously unresponsive controls. I know it’s supposed to have momentum and so forth, but I probably died ten times in the same spot very close to the beginning simply because my pressing A to jump just didn’t register and the prince plummeted to his death on some spikes.

It’s been a long time. Maybe they’re trying to stick to the feel of the original? I remember the original having a substantial delay between pressing the button and the Prince doing something.

IIRC Classic is basically a high res reskin of the original. The game itself is identical.

This looks like a POPINO to me.

Yeah same here!

Popino’s Pizza Rolls.

So you’re not meant to nimbly jump from one thing to another to another? I should stop after each jump and not try to have momentum? Or should I be pressing jump when I’m almost still in the air?? Will investigate further…

Yes. Keeping on running is a recipe for falling into a trap. There’s basically two (horizontal) jumps in the game, a standing jump and a running jump, which IIRC has a three tile lead-up. Unless you’re actively trying to eg beat a timer or wobbly tiles you should carefully position yourself for every jump.

Game is tile based to an extent. Once you are running, the place you jump will be determined by the running animation, which snaps to a grid. This means all jumps are pixel perfect and you never fail by pressing jump a smidge too early. BUT pressing a smidge too late places your jump in the next jump position (which many times doesn’t exist because you are falling to your death).

Once you understand the basic flow, it’s pretty easy to press jump just slightly early and that way land every single jump exactly as you want.

The original PoP as I played it on DOS had controls that felt super responsive, partially by cheating a bit on the timing of running jumps. PoP2 and every other game of that type, like Flashpoint and Another World, were awful in comparison. I don’t know if the Classic version perfectly replicates the original in this regard.