Principia - Masters of Science

Always on the lookout for something different, and suffering from insomnia while waiting for my meds to kick in, not to mention having some magic beans burning a hole in my Steam wallet,(this is a bad combination), last night is picked up this …well…I’m not quite sure just what it is.

It’s turn based. I’m sure of that. And you play a historical 17th century scientific figure, like Isaac Newton.

(Rare early photo of Newton).

Performing research, publishing papers, joining scientific associations and universities, all int he pursuit of…that’s the part I can’t quite figure out. I think the idea is to successfully research a lot of little theories until you have the resources (Fame, Equipment, and Money) to successfully present one Big Idea

The manual and tutorial teach the mechanics of the game, but not why you might want to do something or what the effects of various actions might be. I’ve put half and hour into it and don’t understand it any better than I did before. That’s not a lot of time, but I want to leave the option of a refund open, even though my gut tells me I should like this. There’s one Let’s Play series that I can find, but it’s several hours long.

Anyway, the point is if anyone can offer any aid or clarity. as to what the hell this game is about and how to play it, I would appreciate it.

Wait until it’s actually out? :)

Sorry, I know that’s not helpful, but I can’t resist the opportunity to tweak someone for playing an Early Access game. But keep the impressions coming. I’m looking forward to seeing how this turns out when they 1.0 it.

-Tom

Principia:Master of Science is a simulation game with the theme of European science in 17th century. Player will choose one of real scientists in those era like Isaac Newton and proceed on the research. It’s the time even the word “Science” didn’t exist.

Huh? The word has been in use since the 1300s.

When I saw the screenshots on the store page, I thought this looked Japanaese like hell.

Turns out, it is Japanese. So, odds are you will play with a lot of numbers, without them affecting much of anything, in accordance with Koei’s third law of Ludodynamics.

Lots of helpful and cheering posts in this thread already, sorry!

After a little searching, it seems it was originally a freeware PC game, ported to iOS, and this comeback is meant to be the “definitive edition”. It is a “promotion/raising/culturing simulation game”, as it is called there, which means simply they are solitaire strategy light games with a deep emphasis on numbers, whose goal would be the boring cultural victory in a Civ game - it is upon this genre Kairosoft built its noxious business model after the successful Videogame Story, or whatever it was called; I think it is safe to say those games gave birth to the ‘clickrs’ we are familiar with.

I like going for the cultural victory in Civ.

Definitely Japanese, since you have to manually go in to options to change it to English (the only useful thing I learned from the forum). And it wears it’s Koei influence proudly. Maybe Norabunga will make an appearance.

I’ve had my eye on this game for awhile and recently passed on it when it was briefly offered for 10% (or was it 15%?) off. I have come to the same conclusion Tom suggested–it just ain’t ready yet.

After a little more exploration I decided that a game consisting of nothing but blind clicking on menus wasn’t going to cut it for me.

Back she goes. Thanks all.

Wait, what’s noxious about Kairosoft? I mean, some of their games are strategically muddled, and some are too Japanese in style for me to appreciate, but some are really delightful. And they’re not free-to-play. So why the smear? I also don’t see really any connection to clicker games. Those derived from free web games.

I thought you might be talking about Crisis in the Kremlin!

Hah. I considered getting that as well and rejected it for the same reason.

Oh, that game is no good? Never played the original 8bits game - I was too young to appreciate playing something that my parents were watching the news about!

Well I don’t like them, but I mentionned Kairo mainly because they are the now most visible part of the iceberg that’s been constituted by the pseudo-strategy blend from Japan since the 80s. And that genre’s “pat on the back” inconsequential reward system toward an inescapable but lengthy victory finds a strong echo in the clickr games, I think.