Probably cutting the TV cord soon--advice?

The fact that Spectrum/Charter charges a monthly fee for Wi-Fi tells you what pond scum sucking suits run that company.

I too have no alternative.

Before Brighthouse became Spectrum we were able to eliminate the wifi fee by having them disable wifi on the ISP router/modem and let us use our own wifi routers instead. I should check the bill to see whether this is still the case.

Having been cord-cutted for some time, I recently broke down and got an HD TV OTA amplified antenna, just to see. The signal is great! On the 6 channels it receives - FOX, PBS, Gunsmoke? (it does nothing but replay old westerns), apparently some channel that has Night Court on repeat 24hrs a day, a Spanish language informercial channel, and some “audio only” channel where they read random newspapers.

But this is all indoors; i guess i need to set it up in the attic, or get an antenna for the chimney and run cable down to the house. All i’d really need are the local channels (ABC/CBS/NBC) for the occasional sports ball.

I don’t have a router/modem combo. The people that do though are getting ripped by having to pay a monthly price to begin with.

Congrats! At least you’re getting Fox and PBS, those are two really good ones. I’m lucky enough to live close enough to my local stations that I get all of them without an outdoor antenna. Fox, CBS, ABC are the strongest signals, CW, PBS and NBC sometimes have trouble in the winter time. Especially NBC since it’s on UHF unlike the others. And yes, I do get those other random channels. One shows science fiction shows all the time, I think it’s called Comet? They show things like Babylon 5 every day. One that shows things like Columbo and other shows all the time. There’s another that shows old classic movies all the time. But I never watch those random channels, only the main networks.

I checked my bill and “Internet Services” is $65.99. There’s no mention of a wi-fi fee, though there might still be one and I just can’t see it.

They only charge that if you let them give you a modem/router combo… I believe, when your wi-fi uses their device. I use a router I purchased, like most people. I assume you also have a router, and it’s not their modem giving you wi-fi access. It just seems outrageous to charge someone a monthly fee for that.

I wonder if they also charge a replacement fee if the modem breaks for whatever reason?

I have replaced my modem because I decided it was part of my issue. This is also one the crappy ones that has I think they call it jitter problem… haven’t been charged. I just took it to the local store, and said I need a new one.

Just personal experience here, they’re more likely to charge you for things that require them to send a tech to the home.

YouTube TV is now available on FireTV, the final major platform it was missing.

Youtube TV also added ESPN 3 back to their service. Not that this does me any good now. I only needed it back when the U.S. Open was on. But still, hopefully it will actually STAY on the service so that when I subscribe to it again, I’ll have access to it. (Today is my last day for Youtube TV on the current subscription).

A refresh of the Shield TV with a ~25% faster processor is out next week.

Crossing fingers that this really might mean a Switch Pro revision is in the cards. ~25% performance would be huge since it is so constrained.

Diego

The red box Switch and Switch Lite already use the die-shrunk X1+ SoC. That’s where their improved battery life comes from, with a die shrink you can either reduce power usage/heat or increase clockspeed.

Ah bummer. I didn’t realize that was the same X1+ we’d already discussed.

Diego

Yep. Nintendo just got it first, because they ship in volume.

Of course that does mean the red box Switch/Switch Lite could be overclocked much higher, at a power/heat cost.

My Shield has a 500Gb hard drive in it. Neither of these seem to have that.

Right, they stopped selling those. As of Android 8.0, adoptable storage renders high capacity internal storage unnecessary.

I have two ShieldTVs myself and plugged a 120GB USB3 SSD into each of them. The SSDs cost $30 apiece. Welcome to 2019.

Anyone have trouble streaming the World Series on Hulu? It seemed to drop out a lot; we switch to an OTA antenna that fortunately pulls in the local Fox station pretty well.

The problem is that I have over 400Gb of music I want access to, and hanging a mechanical drive is amazingly slow. A 400+ flash drive would be a tad expensive. Oh well.