Probably cutting the TV cord soon--advice?

why do you think this would happen? I use Vue and it is great.

I think it will happen because it is great. I think it’s priced to gain traction, but if it really starts succeeding it will be seen as a threat and abandoned or crippled by uncooperative networks or priced back out of usefulness. I just cynically don’t think it’s sustainable, I don’t want it to go away either.

One thing that bugs the crud out of me with the Hulu Live TV service: if you want the ability to skip commercials when using the “DVR”, you have to pay an extra $15/month.

These companies are going to great lengths to stop you from skipping commercials like you can with a traditional DVR. I don’t know about you guys, but after cutting the cord all these years, I can’t go back to watching TV commercials like a schmuck. Maybe during the SuperBowl, but that’s it.

MLB.tv is awesome and a good example of how to do live sports over the Internet. It’s a very pleasant experience. I get it free for being a T-mo customer and watch a game now and again.

What?! You mean you can’t even fast forward through them?

Nope. You need the “Enhanced Cloud DVR” add-on to fast-forward through commercials.

Right. They actually do let you fast-forward and rewind through the actual program, just not the commercials.

This is the kind of bullshit I’m talking about. They forgot they’re competing with piracy.

Yikes, that is a deal breaker. I am better off staying with Comcast and their DVR.

@Nesrie

Have you had any luck lately with the Channels installed in Plex Media Server? Because CBS and CW haven’t worked in a while for me.

I watched Elementary last night.

Here is my current imperfect experience with Plex and the primary reason I don’t upgrade to preimum. When my channels stop working I usually have to do 1 of 2 things.

1. reset the Plex PC for no apparent reason. Not the server mind you, but the entire PC… then it works again.
  2. Update the Plex server. Last night, CBS stopped working. I ran a check for update on the Plex server and what do you know, there was an update! I installed it, reset the PC, and CBS started working again.

I do the above every couple/few months. I assume CW has the same issue CBS does, but I don’t really watch anything on that channel.

Hmm, I update the Plex server all the time and reboot my Windows 7 machine at least once a week, but maybe it’s because I’m running Ublock Origin or perhaps I have to reboot the machine immediately after updating Plex.

I always reboot after a Plex Server update… but then again, I don’t usually update it until CBS or something else on my clients stops working. I did watch Elementary last night so I can tell you the channel is functioning at least. I wish I understood Plex better to be more in the no… if it was less of a hassle I totally would pay them but I just see it has paying a premium for features I probably won’t use and… it doesn’t fix the problems.

Warning for people on Comcast who are thinking of an OTT service like Hulu, Vue, DirecTVNow, etc: I believe Comcast is enforcing 1TB data caps now.

Streaming alone probably won’t hit your cap, but for me, streaming all my entertainment AND downloading lots of games added up to 700GB each month and that’s not counting the crazy holiday season.

For what it’s worth, I tried playing the latest full episode of Elementary on Plex and just got the super-helpful message “There was a problem playing this item.” Really, ya don’t say!

You may feel free to throw a book at me because I know my response can come off annoying but I am watching Big Bang Theory right now. I only say this to confirm that the channel is functioning. Your experience though is why I don’t go Premium… it’s just a pain when things don’t work right for no apparent reason.

Due to the Thunderstorm we had last night and a weird tornado warning (we don’t really get those), I reset my computer like a dozen times yesterday.

What OS and browser are you using on your PC BTW? * In my case it’s Windows 7 x64 and Firefox. I’m not doing Premium either.

*This assumes your PC running Plex Media Server and that you’re watching it at your PC/laptop or through the Sever on your PC on your TV connected to a Roku stick or other such device. As far as I know a PC or laptop has to be part of the equation, right?

Not surprised Hulu would go this way. With their owners being the Networks they really would rather people watch them hence the big premium to be able to skip.

Plex Desktop App on Win 10 (64) with Chrome as the browser. The client side is Roku, Amazon Fire and PCs. If I ever suspect it’s a Client side issue i just access the channel on the server… it’s almost never one of the clients.

BTW, I figured out that my problems with the Plex channels must be due to Firefox or one of the add-ons I have installed, because things ran fine in IE 11.

That’s great to hear! I still boot up IE when I have problems with some websites or basically anything too Adobe heavy.

Due to this discussion, I figured out that Channels are pretty awesome on Plex. Thanks! I had no idea. I used to go to the CBS website to see Survivor, Amazing Race, and Stephen Colbert. But the Plex Channel is really convenient and way better, since I can interface it through the Xbox. Thanks!