Production Line - Cliff Harris takes on car manufacturing

One of the biggest things you won’t run into in just 5 hours - producing all of your own components and integrating that into the production line. When you start the game you’re importing all those parts. But that gets expensive and you can lop off some costs to increase profit if you can properly integrate your own. This is something Elon Musk likes to do - not rely on outside venders. It can be quite a puzzle challenge to put it all together.

This game can steal 3-4 hours in a play session if you’re not careful. I think about ~50 of those hours have gone into the scenarios which are all of the form achieve x, y, and z metrics in T time, and another ~20 in achievement farming (eg. trying out volume electric vehicle production). I think there’s a real mental leap between running a factory that’s at 20 - 40 cars/hour and getting larger than that, which is what I’m trying now (trying to get it so that I can run 80+ cars/hour).

I am enjoying it, but I am predisposed to like this game as I take a particular joy in latency vs. throughput optimization. I suspect for me it’s a ~100 hour game, but not a 200 hour game in it’s current state.

The new DLC is out. To celebrate the release of the DLC the base game is currently 20% off. And because the DLC only costs 20% of the base game itself, technically the DLC + base game can be had for the standard MSRP of the game itself. Quite a bargain for new purchasers.

There’s been no word when they’ll automate or outsource the manufacturing/gameplay here and put players out of a job.

Is this the inspiration for the DLC?

Warning: Language not suitable for tender ears.

If it wasn’t, then it’s the greatest case of convergent evolution around :)

(Interestingly, I’ve not seen Cliffski explicitly reference it in the PR around the expansion, so maybe there’s a chance he really has never seen that?)

Is that a pretty good series? Funny?

It’s pretty great. Watch a few episodes and see if it works for you.

@cliffski2

I have a couple of bugs I’m hoping you can address rather soonish as they make things difficult once you get a lot of car types, and your factory is sprawling.

#1 - When you’re speccing out your cars, panoramic sun roof and open type roofs are not showing up in the preview window. While they do show on up on the actual assembly line it is really important we can see it in the preview so we can “at a glance” see how these cars are specced out. Like many people, I’m running 30+ different types of vehicles later in the game and little things like that make a huge difference (especially since I keep thinking I forgot to assign panoramic roof and click into them to enable it only to see it’s already enabled).

#2 - Global “use local when available” isn’t working right unless I’m misunderstanding how it functions. The instance I used on the forum was seat manufacturing. Even though I’m making seats, it’s still importing them for some reason.

#3 - When you use shift click to make a change to local vs. import supply rules it’s not actually making that change globally. It is only changing that specific piece you have open.

Thanks - the game is so awesome now with everything put together. Also love the doors (can you tell by forum activity I’ve been bingeing on this lately lol)

I am the worlds biggest silicon valley fan. Although TBH peter gregory is more my hero than russ…

Those bugs sound mostly like stuff I thought was fixed ages ago… When you say sunroofs don’t show up in the preview window… do you mean the car design screen? or some other window?

When you import seats, are they definitely importing seat types that are locally available? if you need 4 seats and only 2 are currently in the output stockpile of a seat manufacturing slot, then the seat fitting slot will immediately order the other 2 from external sources, it will not wait for another 2 to be made. Could that be it?

shift-click import changes are only for that type of slot. so if you do it for ‘sensors’ on the ‘fit door panels’ slot, it wont do it for other slots that use sensors, just other fit door panel slots usage of sensors.

Glad you are liking it. I’m still doing GUI and usability updates, some of which are already on the steam ‘unstable’ beta branch.

Yep there.

I’ll go back and do some more complete testing on the local import options, but I did see a few other people who thought they were also seeing an issue, but maybe we are misunderstanding how it’s supposed to work. Will also recheck if there is ample inventory for items before they import.

I’ll switch to unstable branch!

@cliffski2 's Production Line game is now at its lowest price ever, $7.99 @ 68% off.

This could be just the game you need to play alongside the Democracy 4 early access until its full release sometime this year.