Profits drive Prescription Opiate drugs which drive Heroin which drive deaths

Look, mate, this may come as some sort of surprise to you, but I didn’t post what I posted specifically to convince you or any of the other guys in this circus. It’s good to know that you are aware of physical dependence, but you seem to keep on equating psychological addiction with anxiety or something. I’ve spent a very small amount of time with heroin addicts, and they relapse well after they are through withdrawal. This is the origin of the term, as used by addiction counselors. Or are you guys so daft you assumed I made the term up? There is a world out there you know. If the shit that brought me to this thread didn’t strike me, I’d still be out there exploring it instead of posting this crap here with you lot.

My original post is there for the few guys who keep an open mind on the matter. There are many people who hold similar opinions. Hell, there’s an interview on in the NYT with the author, followed by about three hundred seriously angry chronic pain guys, who don’t want to deal with the simplistic stigma that accompanies these virtuous little morality plays the NYT puts forth. These are the people I identify with.

For the record, and not for you specifically Nesrie, it’s very simple. If recreationally used drugs are predominantly sourced from prescriptions, and if the the people becoming addicted are doing so through medical intervention (both key propositions for which there is no data whatsoever), the only question is to what degree will you limit medical use of these drugs to prevent their wider uptake in the community.

It is a matter of degree. A very simple point. It is also a difficult question which neither the NYT or apparently their readership are willing to provide an answer. But it is the only relevant discussion to have if you accept their view.

Just as we accept road deaths by using cars, we accept addict deaths by prescribing opiates. It’s a tough question as to exactly how many deaths are acceptable. Too tough a question for self-righteous commentary and clickbait articles.

The key debate that hasn’t taken place, and which needs to take place, is what role opiates are to play in medicine. You are going to have a tough time with that, as the medical profession has widely varying opinions in their own ranks.

My view is that these drugs are already strictly regulated, and very difficult for patients to get a hold of. I also very much doubt that a sizeable recreational market can be serviced through leakage from medical channels. A quick google of oxycodone smuggling provides news links with very large seizures at the border. I question to exactly what degree people are developing addictive behaviour through medical use - no one has presented any convincing argument or data regarding this. These are simple arguments, and would have been raised by a competent journalist and an astute readership. But it never has been, at any point in this campaign. Even the wikipedia page raises a few questions as to the exact causes of the opoid crisis.

Nesrie, regarding your consistent demand for data - there simply is none. Not to support your position (of which I am still unsure) or mine. It is a black market, and you don’t need to be John Kenneth Galbraith to figure out data is thin on the ground. There is only prescription data and deaths.

Anyway, what in the heck is the point in arguing with you guys. You don’t know anything about anything. Just bored bloody videogamers. I’ll just let my opinion stand, and you guys should really save all your outrage for Trump and other meaningless frivolities.

lol, I always swear I won’t post in this thread, until I read it and it is like picking at a scab. Got I get bored sometimes after what those fuckers did to me.

But, to be fair to you guys, it’s the journo’s who are the cause of this. They’re the ones who bang on about being the fourth estate, and they serve up poorly researched garbage, which does little else than appeal to their readers prejudice.

I guess you can just assert that the CDC doesn’t know anything either. However, they seem to think that there is some data whatsoever.

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/prescribing.html

Wow, it’s almost like the CDC and NIH have mountains and mountains of statistical data and analysis.

It ain’t gonna be widespread addiction and deaths from overdose though.

There’s just simply no data!

No data. End of story.

Just like climate change! I wish someone would do some studies on this stuff so we’d have some data to work with.

That wouldn’t fit the narrative

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/epidemic/index.html

https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/2017-opioids-infographics.pdf

PDF is just a picture (why it’s a PDF I couldn’t tell you).

It’s also magical stats that apparently don’t exist.

You kids! There was a drug scare in the 60s and did everyone die of OD’ing on drugs? I mean, aside from every major musician of the 60s, but they don’t count, that’s just a statistical bubble. What you guys want to do is take away jobs from hard working pharmaceutic^H^H^H^H^H^H take away the right of people in pain to have access to life-enhancing drugs! Kids blowing their minds on opioids would have done it with Cream Soda and Moon Pies if that’s all they had access to; you can’t stop stupid!

The reason you’re getting so much grief for your position on this issue is because there is data. Your POV is pretty polar to the positions of the professionals, read that as medical and science not politicians and social workers or even journalists, involved in that data collection as well as the data itself and those who treat this population. This leaves the burden of proof on your shoulders to provide something other than your circular talk to support your position… and you haven’t done that.

You can continue to insult me, throw in a few more compliment sandwiches, whatever it is you need to do to make yourself feel better about having an unsupportable position, but it will change nothing. You need more than your belief for a conversation like this… and you don’t have that. I suspect, because actual data to support your position probably doesn’t exist.

To combine with another P&R thread:

Dude,
You don’t look like a tough badass with your SS and White Power tattoos across your stomach while I’m pumping narcan up your and your girlfriend’s noses.
Sincerely,
Guy who’s tired of taking care of junkies.

Now that’s a sad article, @ShivaX

I missed this thread initially. This whole subject affects me greatly as I know addicts (currently) and my sister has been a long time drug counselor in a state hit by this in a HUGE way, West Virginia.

And even still, now, with all the heat that has come from it, I had a tooth removed last year and what does my dentist offer me? Opioids. I didn’t even ask. I did decline though, and told him I would hope tooth pain would never be worth the risk of taking those. I’m sure my attempt at a guilt trip had no effect, the guy probably hands them out for anyone with tooth pain.

I hear this a lot:
“But there are a lot of laws restricting what doctors can prescribe now…”

Sure, in states that have the money to give a crap about it:

A good article over on Vox How to stop the deadliest drug overdose crisis in American history - Vox. It discusses a lot of solutions to the epidemic in a straightforward manner.

A few good quotes (the article is good length with a LOT of supporting links)

On one hand, you have the current stock of opioid users who are addicted; the people in this population need treatment or they will simply find other, potentially deadlier opioids to use if they lose access to painkillers. On the other hand, you have to stop new generations of potential drug users from accessing and misusing opioids.

Eventually, some painkiller users moved on to other opioids, like heroin or fentanyl and its analogs. Not all painkiller users went this way, and not all opioid users started with painkillers. But statistics suggest many did: A 2014 study in JAMA Psychiatry found 75 percent of heroin users in treatment started with painkillers, and a 2015 analysis by the CDC found people who are addicted to painkillers are 40 times more likely to be addicted to heroin.

And the CDC released guidelines that, among other proposals, ask doctors to avoid prescribing opioids for chronic pain except in some circumstances. The agency noted that the evidence for opioids treating long-term, chronic pain is very weak (despite their effectiveness for short-term, acute pain), while the evidence that opioids cause harm in the long term is very strong. In short, the risks vastly outweigh the benefits for most chronic pain patients.

The result is opioid prescriptions have declined since 2010. But there’s still a lot of work to be done: In 2016, there were enough pills prescribed to fill a bottle for every adult in the US. And in 2015, the amount of opioids prescribed per person was more than triple what it was in 1999, according to the CDC.

They’re called opioids because they turn you into a junkie version of Opie from The Andy Griffith Show.

So, what is the answer for chronic pain?

I went through some moderately bad lumbar issues two years ago, and the pain pretty much took over my life for a month. I got through it (without surgery), but some people do not. Honestly, if I faced the rest of my life in the kind of pain I was in then, I would eat a bullet. I don’t know how people could live that way without some strong pharmaceutical aid.

Physical therapy worked for me, but it won’t for everyone. As I understand it, the surgery would have had about a 50% success rate. So, what do we tell people who fall on the wrong side of something like this, or other conditions that cause serious, chronic pain?

It’s the enforcement of distribution that’s the problem. There are plenty of doctors willing to prescribe opioids for everyone who comes in, and then they shrug and say “but their back pain!” while they snigger and drive off in a new McLaren. And they know it’s extremely difficult to “prove” that patients’ subjective experience of pain did not merit a strong pain relieved like an opioid.

I.E. it’s the same kind of crisis that lead to overprescription of Ritalin and similar ADHD drugs in the late 90s and 2000s; little Timmy won’t sit still? Here’s some (basically) harmless pills; that’s $250 dollars please for a five minute office visit, and please come back every two-three months. What?! They’re sniffing them? Quelle surprise!

They address this in the article that we need to heavily differentiate between pain management for short term < 6 months and long term. Something like 90% is considered short term, but they prescribe so many pills - enough for a bottle for every single person in the US!

Doctors need to look harder at pain mgt when it starts to go long term.

Yeah. . . one of my best friends here has suffered from fibromyalgia for years now, and it’s basically destroyed her life. Even pretty potent opioids don’t do much for the pain so much as they just knock her out. She was actually on methadone for a long time that KINDA worked if the dosage was just right, but the downsides/risks were pretty crazy. . .

In any case, no treatment or therapy has put a dent in the pain in years, and barring some miraculous medical advancement, nothing is likely to. Her case is pretty different from my sciatica flare up a couple of years ago, and needs an entirely different mindset to treat.