Project Cars 3: shame and loathing at 1,190 horsepower

Title Project Cars 3: shame and loathing at 1,190 horsepower
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game diaries
When February 6, 2021

Are Rivals events like New York Times crossword puzzles?  Is Saturday the day for sadistic challenges?  Why else would I be driving Project Cars 3's most powerful car in the rain?  Why else would I be hydroplaning in a car so absurdly overpowered that it

Read the full article

Well I can’t wait to try and fail at this one! ;) Loving these diaries by the way.

On the ranking it says you’re 104th and then on the right it says “87%.”

As this percentage seems to get lower as the drivers get faster does that mean there are about 120 entrants in this one so far?

Keep in mind it’s not counting the people who tried, failed, and said “screw it”. Which, in the case of today’s event, is probably a significant number. :)

But the 87% means I’m in the top 87th percentile. Which is a B+, right? Sweet!

-Tom

The rankings also shift throughout the day as more people attempt it. Tom’s article from the other day when he was 132nd was inaccurate by the end of the day. :)

I understand, I was just trying to work out roughly how many people were running the rivals mode as it’ll factor into my decision about whether to pick up the game next time it’s on sale.

If Tom’s ranked “87%” at 104th then about 13% of the leaderboard is behind him, so about120 people at the point he took the screenshot.

The car felt amazing, but I bet the developers had a good laugh putting in this one – “enjoy the drive, racer boy!”. I couldn’t keep it on the track.

If the driving assists are like difficulty levels, are there bonuses for keeping them off? Or is it just the social stigma of having those icons lit on the leaderboards?

There are xp multipliers for having them off. In other words, the developers did their jobs!

-Tom

What does xp give you?

Well, everything. From the review:

The money is then used to buy new cars, upgrade them, and/or unlock new events. Also, as you level up cars, you earn discounts for their upgrades and eventually unique tuning options. Experience points are the foundation for entire the progression system.

-Tom

Nice. That’s smart. Having two separate progression systems in the Forza games (xp and credits) never made sense to me. One to unlock events, and one so you can afford cars and upgrades.

I suspect it’s one of the reasons this got bad reviews, too. People are conditioned to think, “Hey, I won this race, I should get a bunch of money to buy a new car!”. But Project Cars 3 is all, “Not so fast, sport. That’s not how we roll.” And then people are all, like, “This game sucks!”

The thing is, you will eventually get experience points and therefore money, for winning races. Some of the accolades – achievements – are based on how you finish in a race, and all accolades are a recurring source of experience points and money. But since the folks at Slightly Mad Studios are really bad at presenting information, that’s not immediately obvious. You have to figure out the whole system on your own to see how much and why you’re progressing.

-Tom