Project Hail Mary: The Gos and Lord & Miller

“The Gos”? Is that like when only Belinda Carlisle and Jane Wiedlin can make it to a reunion show?

I recently read this. It’s a lot like The Martian (same writer) and I couldn’t stop myself from seeing Matt Damon in my head as the main character.

Very curious how they handle the more difficult to film parts of this.

I think Artemis would have made a better movie… more variation in the environment, larger cast, thriller plot beats, just generally more cinematic. Project Hail Mary takes place in an Apollo capsule, pretty much, with no contact with Earth (yes yes, flashbacks, but flashbacks suck), which was half of the Martian footage and allowed for a bit of respite from the relentless science… PHM is the Martian, but with an alien instead of potatoes.

Have to say, I have read Andy Weir’s books, and despite the science they are very easy reads , but I can’t say I love his writing. I guess mainstream novels that get people to enjoy science fiction is a good thing, but like for example Chris Hadfield and Michael Crichton, the lack of a more literary descriptive style hurts my enjoyment of the subject matter.

Oh man, reading the article I’d almost forgotten about the amnesia subplot. I really hope they just throw that in the garbage for the film. It was a contrivance in the novel to allow for conveniently timed flashback reveals and is otherwise totally unnecessary for the story.

Also, Gosling? This is the male version of Christmas Jones isn’t it. Is he gonna wear glasses?

100%, though it’s nearly impossible to simulate lunar gravity on Eartth, so I’m not sure how you’d pull off an entire realistic film that relies on being in lunar gravity.

Article says the script is by Drew Goddard. Did he also do The Martian?

Here’s the deal with this: If Lord and Miller are at the helm, I will be naively optimistic about anything.

Yep. He and Andy Weir (the book’s author) teamed up on that screenplay.

Goddard is also writing Matrix 5.

I’d move to rework Gosling’s nickname to be “The Goz” instead of “The Gos”. But there’s a danger that everyone would think of the late Harry Goz, Sealab 2021’s Captain Murphy. Can’t win.

That counterweight one (the smaller one, not the sideways-walking one) is pretty awesome! Maybe if they coated that with matte green or matte blue, and put it on a dolly or a coaster, that would look pretty good on the big screen.

Yeah, and that would get you partway, but your limbs will still fall with earth gravity and the angular momentum of those flips depends on earth gravity somewhat. Anything else in your environment that falls or moves will need similar apparatuses. There’s a scene in the book where a dude jumps from a 3rd story window. Everything would look different and floaty. You can’t even just slow film down because all other moment besides falling should be at normal speed. It is really hard to simulate non-earth gravity inside our gravity well–kind of like trying to film an underwater movie without using water.