Project Zomboid

I think it’s fantastic! Sadly, the majority of my gaming hours are now dictated (in part, at least) by what gets decent views on my Youtube channel. For some reason, PZ pulled in poor numbers so I just don’t get to play it much anymore.

I’m really enjoying it, but I’m not sure if I’m driven enough to play this single player. I may need the peer pressure of a MP server so that I feel like working on all the crafting, barricading etc. I’m currently playing Survival, so I guess I might also find more motivation in the the Last Stand mode.

I missed this announcement back on the 20th.

When we started Zomboid, and agreed upon a static map for the game, we (perhaps optimistically) anticipated hundreds of maps for players to download to provide almost unlimited amount of exploration. Despite there been some amazing map projects already released, this didn’t quite happen. The learning curve for the toolset, the drudge of copying files, the exporting and all the rest made it an intimidating process.

Creative Mode, we hope, takes all that away. It lets you build maps faster, have fun and work as a team. In essence, it lets you edit the map in any way you can imagine. You can use any buildings or other map pieces available: whether you’re subscribed to them on Steam Workshop, copying and pasting them from the existing PZ map or creating them yourself.

It’s a mode that lets you, as an in-game Zomboid character, create extra buildings, districts, even complete towns and cities. What’s more, absolutely anything can be shared to the Workshop – at the moment via an external app, but soon straight from the game itself. Coming back the other way, anything you’re subscribed to will automatically be available to place within Creative Mode.

Furthermore, Creative Mode works completely in online multiplayer, so players can join forces to build an entire town on their server – before using it as a fun and engaging place to die from zombies. Split screen support isn’t currently coded, but will certainly be something we look into as we refine the system.

Recently bought this on Steam and have been playing on one of the more popular multiplayer servers. Having other players to help/hurt you really adds a whole new dimension to the game. Could always use more survivors if anyone is interested :)

I’m pretty much of the opinion that PZ can really only be played as a version of The Sims Online. It’s dull as dishwater, single-player. But hey, you can make like 8 different kinds of fruit salad in the game, always a important focus in a post-apocalyptic zombie world.

The problem I see with PZ is that the devs have already gathered in all of the lowest-hanging fruit (salad) in terms of design, and they have spent the last couple of years stumbling over the “real” stuff.

PZ didn’t really get more fun for me as time went on. I played it for 46 hours about 18 months ago and definitely got my money’s worth, but I’ve tried to go back to it a few times and found that I had no real desire to experience it again.

The server I’m on has a number of mods that expand a lot of what you can build, and maybe some other functionality but I’m not really sure what is stock stuff that has been added since the old version I played, or added by mods. For example I found I could leave a cooking pot outside in the rain to collect water, that was a common sense type of thing that never would have worked before.

So is anyone playing this? Has it progressed at all?

Doesn’t seem so @mok , I decided to remove it from my wishlist. 4 years in early access and while yes it gets updates, it still is not finished.

Yeah, this one rots in my early access category, too. Some designers out there need to remember the old bon mot that games are never finished, only released. Or remember the cruder version if that’s too fancy: shit, or get off the pot.

Yeah, Have seen a play through which got me a little interested. I actually looked at the demo. Then I looked at the age of the project and the comments. Bought something else.

What amazes me is they have over 780K owners according to SteamSpy. I guess the thought is why keep working on it.

They are still working on it.

They’re trying to do a couple of big ticket items, which has taken FOREVER. Those being NPCs and vehicles. I think they just released a build that includes early vehicles tests - so it’s not looking too good for being finished any time soon…

Personally I’m not even interested in vehicles. NPCs might add something interesting though.

Yeah I think you guys are maybe being a little harsh. This game has been in development a long time for sure, but I would hardly say they’ve abandoned it. Every time I check back (every couple of months) there’s always something new to read about that they’re working on. It’s come a long way from the beginning.

Plus they lost a lot in a flood or natural disaster early on.

There is a very interesting game here - Whether it will ever be “finished” or not, for the price that is asked, I feel you are getting a pretty nice deal actually.

They’ve had a few different disasters, as I recall, including a robbery.

Forum folk! This game is still in early access… ;)

Rock paper shotgun poked it with a stick to remind us all.

Yeah maybe in another five years they’ll even have the NPCs in.

Don’t know how many years they’ve been working on vehicles, but it seems like forever. That had better be one killer, essential feature… :P

I mean, it’s a lifetime license.

Vehicles are in! Build #39