PS4 3 beeps of death

So for a while my PS4 has been doing the 3 beeps thing off and on, and then looping eject on the disc drive when I restart it. Unplugging it an replugging it in seems to solve it, but lately it’s gotten worse and now every time I turn the thing off it beeps at me and I need to unplug and restart.

I called tech support and they had me rebuild the database in safe mode but that hasn’t helped. Has anyone had to deal with this and gotten in fixed.

No, but you’re scaring me. Sometimes when I try to put my PS4 in Rest mode, it sits there for a long time trying to get into rest mode. And then does the 3 beeps thing and finally switches off.

And plugging in the USB cord that came with it no longer charges the PS4 controller in Rest mode. I get around this by plugging it into my Xbox One instead, and charging it from that.

I didn’t know the 3 beeps were a potential indicator of greater problems to come. Now I’m scared.

I’ve been having the same issue. At first it was just the constant eject cycle thing, but now I’m getting the three beeps too.

Three beeps is just an indicator that something is amiss with the PS4 (like pressing eject with no disk in the drive). It’s not necessarily a harbinger of doom, no need to panic yet Rock8.

Sam, sounds like you have the same issue I do…sorry. Unplugging the thing does solve it, but it’s gotten to the point where I need to unplug the thing every time I shut it off…pretty annoying. :(

I had this issue and had to send mine in when eventually unplugging and replugging didn’t work. Thankfully it was still under warranty. I think the rep I spoke to said it was a power supply issue.

I used to have that issue a while back but not at all recently that I can recall. Yea sorry since that doesn’t help you one bit.

Yep, my coffin box is in the mail. Glad I am still under warranty.

RIP merryprankster’s PS4. This is the first I’ve heard of anyone needing to return a defective unit.

How many hours do you think you had on the unit?

I’d bet around 700 hours.

Wow, that’s pretty heavy use. I’ve had mine since Day 1 launch, and I have about 100 hours on it, which includes watching Netflix and Hulu Plus.

I hope I can get 700 hours out of mine.

Decided to actually do the math and my hours on the machine are closer to 500. Still beating Rock8 by a fair margin. :D

I played through Killzone, Last of Us Remastered, Infamous, Knack, a little Need for Speed: Rivals, a lot of Resogun and Don’t Starve. So I figured around 100 hours was a good estimate once I add Netflix and Hulu Plus time. I wish I’d liked Bloodborne. I was really hoping that would be like Demon’s Souls for me.

My ridiculous number of Destiny hours are on Xbox One, since that’s where my friends were playing.

We’re not friends??? ;)

But yeah, the lion share of that is Destiny. I also played Bloodborne and Tomb Raider (and a few hours of Trials). I am rather hoping to get far more usage out of my PS4 so hopefully they can sort out the issue. I don’t want to buy a replacement until the ‘slim’ version comes.

I shut it down about 15 minutes ago and the same thing happened. It was on the ‘Preparing to turn off the PS4…’ screen for about 5 minutes then it beeped.

Mine beeps a couple of times even though the power cord has been taken out.

Only way around it.(You will lose all data and save data sooo…back that data up)

Step 1: Turn System on (Safe Mode) Hold power button till second beep.

Step 2: Go down to # Six (Initialize ps4)

Step 3: Repeat Step 1

Step 4: Go to # Five (Rebuild Database)

Step 5: Reinstall Recent System Software

Step 6: Reconnect to WiFi/ Ethernet Cable

Step 7: Sign in, Start downloading your Games/Applications

Mine suffered from the eject cycle of doom. Fixed it by removing the rubber foot under the front-middle of the unit that apparently can swell up over time and start activating the capacitive eject button on its own.

I removed the rubber strip and that seemed to fix mine too. Thanks

Just happened with me here. It would boot, but not display any image, or initialize the display incorrectly (576p?). Saw someone online saying they had fixed it by disconnecting the HDMI, booting the PS4, and then connecting the HDMI and turning on the TV. Tried that and… it worked. No idea what happened or why.

Anyway, I might look to buy another PS4, or maybe even a PS5. When the PS4 was not working my kid was heartbroken (he loves playing games on the PS4, even more so in the weekends) and I’d rather not see him like that if I can prevent it. ;)

If it’s launch ps4 take rubber piece underneath the eject button of and fold up a piece of paper to let it sit off of what ever surface its on