Psychonauts

Watched my girlfriend play Psychonauts on Xbox all day today.

Man, this is awesome. If you lament the fact that not enough games that are crazy funny Tim Shaefer-style adventures get made anymore, vote with your wallet and go buy this game.

It’s very much a platformer, but has a lot of standard adventure game elements - choices in conversations, needing the right item to get past a certain situation or get something cool, stuff like that.

The full game is quite funny and inventive, loads of personality and humor throughout. If anything, better than the demo. It’s super polished, too. Great stuff.

Deserves higher scores than it’s getting. :(

It doesn’t deserve any score at all. It deserves to be bought and played and enjoyed. It’s great.

Just from the demo one of my favorite bits is when you reunite the emotional baggage with their lost tags. They look so, well, happy, when you do so, nuzzling up to their tags and smiling with obvious joy on their little baggish faces.

This is just a really top notch game I think. Going to go pick it up at lunch (for the PC, because, y’know, I’m cheap and also I don’t have an XBox)

Racked up 4+ hours over the weekend. If you like the Rare-style of platformer that appeared on the N64, Psychonauts will be right up your alley, it’s a collectathon with lots of exploring and loads of style and personality. I can’t wait to play some more, I’ve been neglecting my new PSP for this game.

That said, I already have some gripes. Item prices seem out of whack, forcing the player to use the “divining rod” to collect enough game currency to advance. And using the divining rod sucks. It’s not fun at all to use. Perhaps that’s just my aversion to button-pounding as a play mechanic, but it’s just a time waster. Instead, how about letting me get more than one arrowhead at a time out of the ground? That should be drudgery enough.

Has anyone else notice how close this game is in it’s platforming “feel” to Voodoo Vince? I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that they used the same game engine.

There’s only four items to buy, not counting psi cores and dream flufff, and you only really REALLY need one of them (the cobweb collector). Just spend an hour collecting arrowheads with the dowsing rod and you’ll never need to worry about it again.

I like the diving rod! It’s cool how it turns blue when you’re pointing away from the arrowhead, and purple when toward it. And the waves that come out of it, and the way it vibrates the controller more when you get close.

The button-mashing is a bit of a pain, but when you get REAL close to the arrowhead it’s not too hard.

It sure beats pulling 'em up one by one, and it took almost no time at all for us to get enough for the duster and the mental magnet.

[quote=“Orpheo”]

There’s only four items to buy, not counting psi cores and dream flufff, and you only really REALLY need one of them (the cobweb collector). Just spend an hour collecting arrowheads with the dowsing rod and you’ll never need to worry about it again.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I did, and I was hoping that would be the end of it. Seemed to me that 800 was pretty expensive for a mandatory game item when you could get maybe 12-20 arrowheads per area without the rod. The fellow at the store recommends breaking open dream vaults, but I didn’t recall them being particularly lucrative.

“It’s so crazy that it just might work.”

“Or maybe it’s so crazy that it’s just extra crazy.”

For a good bit, right after the kids start losing their brains, go to the lodge. In the TV room, Vernon (the kid who tells stories that go on and on) will be there with some brainless kids. Talk to him and then stick around to listen to the story he tells.

I just realized I might have missed out on a bunch of dialogue by not getting more kids rebrained before going past the point of no return.

I did atleast hear that Vernon bit in the TV room.

Anyone else having difficulty getting ahold of the PC version? My local EB has gone from “4/26” to “4/27” to “no date” on the PC version, which is annoying since I don’t have an XBox.

Same here mouselock, Im in Tampa…

Ive been thwarted in my attempts to get this game for either PC or Xbox at 4 different stores. Most store clerks look at me like Im crazy when I ask about the game.

Im hoping to finally find it tomorrow.

These poor bastards. Five years in the making and no one can buy the damn thing. Hopefully, the XBOX version is just selling faster than expected instead of being flat out AWOL like the PC version.

Edited to resemble English.

The guys at the Gamestop near me said that they wouldn’t be getting any copies of Psychonauts for the PC unless I preordered it. They seem to be slowly dropping PC games alltogether. :/

Ok, good news is that they did finally get it at EB. Futureshop still has no idea what Im talking about when I mention the game. And noun, it does seem really weird that this game is basically impossible to find on PC in a store.

As for the game: Just awesome.

Gamestops around me (all 20 of them) dropped pc games right after Max Payne 2 came out. They did get in a few copies of Doom 3 but that was it.

Here’s one unhappy non-customer:

as this game has been made in collaboration with one of the retards from Racist Man Murray, I will never spend a single cent on it, no matter how good it is. I urge everyone to do the same.

Something to consider before you make your purchase.

Oh, this is too precious. From his profile:

An he’s Italian, too! Have we finally discovered HRose’s secret blog?

Fuck, I already bought it! Sob, weep, lining your pockets with racist money.