Puerto Rico Thread

The Trump Way is to just proclaim success, no matter what happened. Most people aren’t going to go through the trouble to find out what really happened, and the media are either in your pocket or too busy covering your latest insanity to call you on it.

Informative podcast with Chris Hayes and Naomi Klein (started listening to podcasts at lunch instead of Sirius radio’s POTUS or progressive channel. For anyone else who listens to podcasts, Pod Save America can also be pretty entertaining.)

Well, the only thing they can congratulate themselves on is perpetuating genocide via neglect. The coin is missing a swastika.

Some of y’all may remember my posting about a seed and farming project my friend’s family was helping coordinate. It’s been a gigantic success.

While there is still so much more left to do, of course, the seed program is helping small farms start all over the island and training hundreds of people in how to run them and feed themselves and their communities.

That’s truly awesome.

That is so wonderful. I hope it can provide a small fraction of the loss they suffered by the mainland abandoning them :(

That is indeed awesome, Armando. Thanks for sharing.

Six Phases of a Project:

1. Enthusiaism.
  2. Dissillusionment.
  3. Panic.
  4. Search for the guilty.
  5. Punishment of the innocent.
  6. Praise for the non-participants. <== You are here

Maybe the EPA are congratulating themselves for successfully implementing the President’s agenda? I.e. doing nothing.

The President will probably keep a few in his desk to remember the event by.

If only that was his agenda. It’s more dismantling any and all protections for the populace against being poisoned.

Status quo would be great, which would be the result of doing nothing. They’re doing lots and none of it is good.

I’m honestly in awe of their whole family. They live in one of the last areas to get power and clean water back, but they’ve been completely focused on making life better for everyone around them. With their backgrounds in education, nonprofits, and farming, they are a real powerhouse. And they’re not exactly spring chickens, either. But they’re still out there, making deliveries of huge crates of seeds, solar batteries, and water purifiers to super remote areas of the island, teaching classes in self reliance and safety, and working with other locals to meet the real needs of far flung communities.

So, it’s not much surprise to anyone that their daughter grew up to be one of the best people I know and a really tireless crusader for justice and knowledge. Best I can do is take the inspiration and try to live up!

Plus it’s nice to have some real reasons to have faith in people in my face like that. It’s so easy to read shit like the latest EPA debacle or the increasingly dire health statistics as we approach the one year mark since the storm and want to give up hope because we’ve totally failed our island citizens. And maybe we have, on a government level. But real people are still out there fighting every day to keep things afloat, all on their own.

And if you can get the biggest pro big government nut on the boards to admit that, I kinda think anything is possible.

Either way, they’ve been very successful.

I feel like every article that references Puerto Rico needs to have a sentence that says, just in case you are still unaware, these are Americans and this is American soil.

I hate to say it, but I agree. The willful ignorance of the electorate needs to be challenged at every turn.

Yeah, that headline really needs to be “Puerto Rican Government Admits at Least 1400 Americans Dead in Hurricane Maria.”

Exactly, and according to Google, the death toll attributed to Katrina looks to be just above 1800. This storm and that territory did not get nearly the attention it deserved.

Brilliant! Why didn’t they do this?

Higher still. Questions… well the people in-charge don’t care about Puerto Rice and the people who put them there are racist and refuse to believe they are Americans too.