Qt3 Classic Game Club #21: Freespace 2

Guys, should I bite on this one? Refurbished sounds…good…

Sounds fine. They probably just opened it up and shoved the grease around, which I did myself while investigating the gear grind. So you save yourself an hour of futzing with it.

The price is reasonable.

Dammit, I got it. I shouldn’t have, because I didn’t NEED it as of yet since my X-45 is still working, but hell, I wanna replace that stick anyway.

I personally kind of like having the FFB2 for RoF and FS2 and the X-52 for Elite and jets. But if you can make it work with a separate throttle that would be less junk around the house.

I’m actually gonna plug in both the X-45 and the FF2 and see if I can use the FF2 stick with the X-45 throttle, moving the X-45 stick aside under the desk or some such.

Oh, and well done CaseyRobinson, you just made me shell out for a completely new piece of hardware because of this thread, which finally pushed me over the edge! ;)

Let us know how your first run through the flak goes.

Oh, I’m totally gonna record that shit. ;)

I was hoping you would!

Put the camera on infrared mode to capture your screams just like they do for those horror games. :)

BTW force feedback is a little finicky on modern Windows OSs. It sometimes disappears and you have to alt-TAB back into some games. Just an FYI if you get in there and it doesn’t seem to be working. I don’t recall problems with FS2 though.

Hah, awesome, thanks for the tip. I was thinking of pointing my webcam to my hand on the stick so folks can see how it behaves.

Good for you! Probably the best stick ever made, at least as far as I’m concerned. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn’t work very well with Kerbal Space Program. Also, the throttle seems to be reversed for some games, but there’s usually a revert switch in the settings anyway, so not a big deal.

Anyway, I played the first few missions after the training missions, then got my ass handed to me in (I think) the third mission. I was going to try again, but then I decided to try out version .90 of Kerbal Space Program, and now I can’t find my way back out of the rabbit hole.

So now I’m trying to disarm the [REDACTED] and man are my wingmen useless. Do I need to tell them to cover me or ignore my target while I take out the flak guns and not let them off-leash until that is done? Or do I need to stop being a perfectionist and just live with the turrets I can take out myself?

Aim them at your target. As good as this game is, the wingmen are largely worthless.

Heh, I’d rather have them than not. I’m stuck on this one mission in TIE Fighter where it’s just me, and I wish to GOD I had wingmen…

My Force Feedback 2 has arrived! OMG YAY! Can’t wait to try it, and I can’t think of a better mission to try it with than Into the Lion’s Den. ;)

Be sure to tell friends and family that if you don’t contact them within the hour, they should call for help to revive you.

On my Tombstone, it’ll say:

“Pilot Didn’t Hit Burners in Time”

Holy shit.

Holy.

Shit.

That was amazing.

This might be the best joystick I’ve ever used.

My. God.

Brian, we can no longer hear you. You’ve transcended human consciousness. Godspeed.

I am pure energy.